Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Raley Injuries?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyty401
Criminal
Criminal

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Raley Injuries? Reply with quote

Has anyone got a serious injury trying a Raley? I've been ready to throw my raley for a couple years now...I can throw it flawlessly on a tramp and have great control on the water but it seems like every time I get out there to try it I wuss out.

Anyone got seriously injured from trying it? I know I can't think like that I just gotta go and do it but I am curious..
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyty401, Throw some on a wakeskate, the board will fly away and you can practice pulling your feet back under you. Once you get that down, don't think about hurting yourself, focus on how easy it really is when you commit!
tyty401
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually a really good idea. I'll have to try that for sure!
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the wakeskate thing about 5 times and I can pull it back. I was working on a tantrum last year however and wasn't really interested in the raley. I think if I did that for a couple more days and got in about 30 wakeskate attempts I'd probably strap on the board and give it a go.

FWIW, I've heard and believe myself that this trick is 99% in your head. Basically anyone that can do a strong w2w can do one - if they have the guts.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyty401, Go for it. Only do a handfull of practice ones though, like 3 or 4 on the skate before trying on a wakeboard (if you do too many on the wakeskate you'll psych yourself out and not do it when the time comes to try one for real).
colefooter
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely got rocked in every bad way learning raleys and I have never got anything more than the wind knocked out of me or just a decent headache. Wear a helmet if it will make you feel better, but once you land it once you will never crash on it again.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of trying it on a wakeskate, even though I used this technique myself. Maybe do it once or twice, but no more than that. If you can do it on the trampoline, you can do it on the water. Just charge it and go for it. Remember on a wakeskate you are guaranteed to not ride away (duh), so just strap on man up and stomp it.
tyty401
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks for the advice guys. I've never been on a wakeskate but I'll give it a few tries and go for it. I'm pretty confident that once I just try it it will be one of those things that is a whole lot easier than you thought it would be. It's very simple on the tramp so here goes nothin!
imondi

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed on probably 20 before getting it consistent and I will still catch an edge every now and then....I didnt think any of them hurt any more than the boardslide to Toe endge faceplant.

I found that going as big as possible was the key to landing them. I was trying to do a half size raley at first and I was getting rocked. Just dont think about it and huck it!
erikneufeld
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stuck to the wakeskate untill i got my feet back under me 3 times in a row, so about 6 tries, then put the board on and got it first try, and once you get that confidence you will never miss this trick Wink
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imondi wrote:
I found that going as big as possible was the key to landing them.

TRUTH! This one's all about confidence.
Jkaye1

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped three bones in my foot coming down from a raley. Rode for about two days to start the season and now I have pins in my foot. I'm dying not being able to ride right now. Start with the wakeskate for sure.
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: May 10, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once You got the raley, Immediately go to the Krypt, that trick looks so beautiful at the boat.

City: Athens

PostPosted: May 23, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep your bindings a little loose and if all else fails and u dont think u are going to get the board back under you then just dive out of it
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 23, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyperlite11 wrote:
keep your bindings a little loose and if all else fails and u dont think u are going to get the board back under you then just dive out of it

This is actually a REALLY bad idea. Raleys can exert a lot of pressure pulling the board away from your feet and can result in the worse case scenario (one foot comes out while one stays in the bindings). Don't listen to this, keep your bindings snug, they're made to fit well for a reason.
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 23, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the skate thing once last season - haven't picked it up yet this year - water's too cold... ditto on the boot advice - keep it snug I've "dove in" with the board snug - sucks but no injury -
johnnyphaze

City: dallas

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bruised my right rib cage attempting one.....
J-Hudd

City: Mt. Juliet

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sprained my right MCL a couple of summers ago. Both of my feet yanked out of the boats on a bad landing and I heard/felt a little click in my right knee. It wasn't too fun, wasn't very painful all in all. Also, last summer I got a mild concussion.

What stinks the most is since then I've tried what seems like millions of them, but have never stuck one out. I started getting really close though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: