Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Studio Wakeboard Photography from Fstoppers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like this style of photography for wakeboarding?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

DaleSlear

City: Charleston

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Studio Wakeboard Photography from Fstoppers Reply with quote

Patrick Hall from Fstoppers.com approached me last year and had the idea of photographing some wakeboarding in a studio setting. We came up with this elaborate plan and here is the final behind the scenes video for those that are interested. http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers-original-the-wakeboard-studio-shoot

If anyone knows how to embed a video in this post, please let me know.

What are your thoughts and opinions of this idea? Is this selling out or could it actually have some merit as a photography style for wakeboarding? Any ideas on how to make it better if we do it again?

-Dale

Last edited by DaleSlear on Feb 07, 2011 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
trevordj
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like it kind of takes away from the skilled riders and photographers. There are plenty of very talented photographers that can get awesome shots whether it be behind a boat, winch, or cable. This just seems like an insult to the guys that go out and get the hard shots.
DaleSlear

City: Charleston

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone should take it as an insult and I agree that there are a lot of talented artist out there. I feel that it could be another tool photographers in this industry could use to get this type of look. It does have it's own look you can't get on the field.

kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think its dumb. "lets pretend we are wakeboarding and take pictures of it"
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Mexico

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it looks great, but IMO looks way too commercial and I don't think wakeboarding products need something like this (for now)

About transfering photos directly to the ipad, has anyone done it??
I just bought a dslr with a normal eyefi sd but read somewhere that there's a trick to this....
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleSlear wrote:
I feel that it could be another tool photographers in this industry could use to get this type of look. It does have it's own look you can't get on the field.
The reason why it has its own look is because it's NOT wakeboarding. Laughing It's tying some dude up and having him contort himself in different ways while throwing buckets of water on him.

If you wanna create a new look then add a few off-camera flashes to your tube shots.

Dante2004

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevordj wrote:
I feel like it kind of takes away from the skilled riders and photographers. There are plenty of very talented photographers that can get awesome shots whether it be behind a boat, winch, or cable. This just seems like an insult to the guys that go out and get the hard shots.

I don't think they are trying to "trick" anyone into believing these shots were actually taken out on the lake. Maybe if they were shot in front of a green screen and they shopped in a lake background it would be a different story. This just looks like a creative way to take the shot, IMO.

This wouldn't be the first time a shot was "doctored" to make reality more appealing.

-Models are airbrushed
-The entire HDR method of photography
-Just about any shot of a boat/car that uses a rig that is later photoshopped out

I guess I would be more against someone taking a picture like this if they were suggesting that the guy could do some crazy trick that nobody else can....

ericsoler

City: Lake Stevens

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it at all. The person in the picture could be anyone so if these pictures were used as commercial photos for companies then before you know it real wakeboarders won't be needed to take those pictures and thats what makes it so cool in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: