Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Jeep Guys - need suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Jeep Guys - need suggestions Reply with quote

Ok, I had an old cj7 back in college. It was fun, cheap and loud. However, it could be a pain to keep running, seals failed all the time, and it drove like hammered ass on the road.

I've decided I want to get another toy jeep. I'm talking about something I drive every now and then. Something I can throw the wife and kids in and trail ride a bit. When I say trail ride, I don't mean 10 foot deep mud bogs, nor do I mean straight up rock walls. I mean slight declines and inclines, climbing slowly up and down a bunch of 1-2 foot rock ledges in the woods. Maybe driving through water a few feet deep in a stream or something. In other words, I don't need a 10'' long arm lift and 40'' boggers.

Essentially, I'd like something a few inches over stock height with some 33's on it that won't be either completely gutless (no 4 banger I know) and incapable off road and won't be absolutely aweful to drive around town too.

I have agreed to set an initial budget for the vehicle purchase at around 5-6k. If I can spend less, great.

Basically, I've been finding a few early 90's jeeps in my price range with the 4.0l in them. I've found a handful of 97+ tj's in the high 6's low 7's. I even found one bone stock 2002 tj with 120k and a 6cyl for $7k locally.

Is it worth spending extra cash for a TJ over a YJ? What are the benefits of either model? Should I try to find something that's already lifted? Are the YJ lifts crap if you stay with leaf springs? Are lifts hard to put on yourself (I am mechanically inclined) on TJ's and YJ's? Are 33's too much for a stock 4.0l?
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ hands down, no question, for what you want out of it.

YJ benefits:
-simple to build upon
-easy to swap anything you want into it, literally ANYTHING. I've seen diesel YJ's, 572ci YJ's, rockwells, 53 inch tires, anything.
-cheap and easy to work on if you know how to fabricate

TJ benefits
-easy to add onto, but a bit more expensive than a YJ
-smooth ride
-quiet ride
-reliable engine and tranny
-smooth ride
-airbags
-anti-lock brakes
-smooth and quiet ride
-easy to bolt any kind of upgrade that YOU would want on with a pair of basic tools and maybe a helping hand from time to time.

There is no question that for you and your family to go toodling around in that you need a TJ. A YJ is for an 18yr old who wants to build a fun jeep, and pick up girls on a budget. The TJ is MUCH safer, and will be a much more enjoyable ride for the family while still enjoying the top off fun of a Jeep. TJ will also be more child seat friendly and comfortable. A/C units, better heat, stereo, and like I said, airbags and anti-lock brakes. The TJ runs a coil over suspension which rides better, and handles better than the leaf springs of the YJ. The engines are actually the same except for some environmental doo-dads and mild gas mileage improvements (.5 mpg better). But they are easy to work on. Just like your CJ, but you can use a computer to diagnose the problem, and fix it quickly rather than hunting the problem down. The mounts to the frame are better on the TJ than the YJ making it less likely to pull apart from the body/frame in a wreck.

You can add coil spacers for about $100 and you can clear 33' tires on a TJ. Done. No fancy lift needed. Tie in the roll cage to the frame, and you've got a solid cage for safety.

TJ, and never look back at YJ or CJ. They just aren't right for your little girls.

I'll see what I can come up with for ya. Any particular color?

EDIT: And I ran 34' swampers on my 20 year old 6-cylinder and it got up and moved alright. Sucked at 65mph and up though. But with 33's you'll barely notice a power loss. And you could put a rear locker in, and you will be amazed at how far and what it could do. I ran only a rear locker in my jeep for the past 5 years, and did things in 35's most couldn't believe. 33's and a locker will get you almost anywhere. No need to go bigger for what you want. It will still drive great, and have power if you get the 6-cylinder. The 4 is gutless, big tires or not.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
what he said
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Haugy! I'm not particular on color at this point. I just want to find a really good deal. Do you think a 2002 TJ with 122k, a six cyl, soft top, in decent shape is a steal for $7k? I'd really reather spend around $5k though...
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about average for that year. So it's not a "great' deal. Depends on what it comes with. If it was an immaculate Sahara version, yeah that would be a good deal, but still not great.

Get it down to $6,000 and that's a good deal.

For what you are looking for, start looking at 1998 models. Nothing changed in those 4 years other than seat patterns, and stereo add-ons.

Look for 1998-1999 models with low miles. The 120,000 miles is not bad for that motor. If it's got service records, it's even better. These motors will run for a very long time if they aren't abused and are serviced. So don't let over 100k miles worry you too much. You know a good vehicle that's been maintained when you see it, that's what you need to look for.

Other than that, there isn't any real difference in the years, so go for the older cheaper ones, and try to find one with miles your comfortable with.
Goochy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save your money and TJ ONLY !!!!!! Buy a nice Tj and just leave it stock until you can afford to fix it up .

J.. ust
E..mpty
E..very
P..ocket
Mr. Green
Lop
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St Louis MO

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goochy, everybody knows that with Jeeps you buy one and leave it stock... except when it's time to replace the tires you go just a little bigger... then you decide to add that 1 inch body lift. then you realize that you may just have to do a small 4 inch lift, now there's too much wheel well gap so new wheels and tires come. You take your "stock jeep with just a few add-ons" out on a one day trail ride and see the necessity for a high lift jack and sway bar quick disconnects. then you go for a weekend trip and suddenly you are purchasing racks, gerry cans, a winch and lighting. etc etc

haugy, does this story sound familiar? it should i think everybody I know with a jeep has gone through these phases

After you do that, help me find me leprechaun..... Rolling Eyes
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I went from stock, to full blown engine, tranny, axles, and custom suspension in one move.

The stock engine had it, and 3 years later I had built my rockcrawler. I don't like baby steps. If I'm going to go into a mine field, I'm using a snow shoes. Laughing

The next jeep I build will be a stocker like Chattwake wants. I miss the easier days of cruising care free and comfortable.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a 1997 Wrangler with 100k, 6cyl, 5 speed. It has a 4'' Zone brand lift. I had some 33x12.50 tsl radials put on it. Next I'm going to put a slip yoke eliminator kit on it and do all of the routine maintenance work (plugs, filters, flush everything, etc. Heat/AC works. I'm pretty stoked!

jeep.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  96.74 KB
 Viewed:  23947 Time(s)

Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice jeep. Red is my next favorite color after white.

How long has it been on 4" of lift? Does it have a CV driveshaft? If so, and it's not at ridiculous angles, you won't need the SYE for a little while. Not for what you are doing.

If the steering feels sloppy or loose, check the bushings on it. Many people will put a lift on them, and leave the stock steering alone. While this will work, it plays hell with the bushings. So if it's been on 4" for a while, the bushings can wear out making the steering feel loose and sloppy.

Change ALL fluids. Just a habit of mine, and a good one too. Don't end up like my friend who seized up his rear axle because of the previous owner. PO sold the axle with fluid in it. He even checked, yep fluid. So he left the cover on. Well what he didn't know was the previous owner put sawdust in there to stop it from leaking. Well that might work for a crawler, but not on the street. Sucker seized up at 45mph on the road. Melted the pinion and it shred to pieces and jammed the ring gear. Can you say "Yeeeee Hawwwww"? Laughing

So check (meaning change) all your fluids. A shop should be able to knock that out in about 2 hours. Diffs, tranny, t-case, oil, and steering. Done.

I'll holler at ya later today.
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy wrote:

. Well that might work for a crawler, but not on the street. Sucker seized up at 45mph on the road. Melted the pinion and it shred to pieces and jammed the ring gear.

HOLY SHEET. Shocked Shocked Shocked Must have made for a wild ride (which is probably an understatement). I think I've just added a new habit / best practice when I buy vehicles. I understand doing things like the previous owner to limp a vehicle home, but to leave it that way and then sell it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad .
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Yup, this weekend, we are going to change all of the fluids in everything. The transmission grinds somewhat when shifting into second and third and downshifting. The transfer case has a drop kid on it, which makes it somewhat difficult to shift. I plan on using some syncromesh (sp?) and royal purple in the tranny, and using factory spec fuids everywhere else.

I'm going to take the transfer case drop off of and install a SYE and CV driveshaft next week, as well as adjustable upper rear control arms. The jeep has bad driveline vibration right now, and hopefully I can get the transmission to be a little smoother and easier to shift while also getting rid of the bad driveline vibration. I'm going to check all of the bushings, motor mounts, etc. during this process.

Next, I'm going to replace the front seats and get a matching cover for the rear seat (which is in great shape). Also on the horizon is new bumpers and a winch. Hopefully, I can get everything mechanically sound and the interior looking fair by spring.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synchromesh is good, make sure to double check what spec fluid belongs in there before just dumping that in. Ive had good luck with Redline MTL in the past. Synchromesh is really good, but I thought the MTL was better. If you want it to be a little "smoother" you could do a 50/50 mix of MTL and MT-90. I really liked that mix the best.

For diffs, I've always been happy with royal purple gear oil.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake, Yeah, I like Royal Purple, I've been very pleased with it.

Trasfer case drop - Ooooh, yeah that will definitely throw off your shifting. NO CV? Oh man, yep SYE will have to be installed sooner than later as I bet the rear pinion is hating life right now on that transfer case.

Sounds like you've got a perfect plan. If you replace the front seats, look into the heated ones. Sooooooo worth it. If you and the wife want to take a cruise on a mildly cool evening, those things make it so enjoyable.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We removed all of the interior this weekend. Painted the tub interior, put some neoprene seat covers on, polished up the dash and console, reinstalled the seats, pulled off the factory front bumper, installed a winch plate, rhino lined the fender flares, changed the air filter, removed the spare tire hardware, bought a new rock crawler rear bumper and D rings, and bought some needed tools.

Next up. Painting the wheels, changing the oil, installing the new rear bumper, draining the transfer case, dropping the transfer case, installing new rear upper adjustable control arms, dropping off the transfer case to have a slip yoke eliminator kit installed in it, reinstalling the transfer case and cv driveshaft, changing the fluids in the transfer case and transmission, getting my emissions checked, and getting the jeep registered.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already know:

www.quadratec.com

Should be able to build a jeep from scratch with what they have available.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to score a warn 8274 upright winch off of Craigslist yesterday. Needs a little talc but it will be awesome when I'm done.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake, Get rid of the 4 solenoids on the front and get an albright solenoid.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-90-14452/

Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake wrote:
I was able to score a warn 8274 upright winch off of Craigslist yesterday. Needs a little talc but it will be awesome when I'm done.

Nice! If it needs cable, DO NOT GET STEEL, go ahead and get synthetic rope. So much better than steel in strength, safety, weight, no worry about steel splinters, etc.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it has 150 ft of cable in great shape so I'm going to stay with that for now.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a hawse fairlead if you don't have one already. That way, if and when, I say when because once you pull cable versus rope you'll never go back to cable, you don't have to swap fairleads. Can't use a roller fairlead on syn rope.

And uh, hello? More pics??????
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how to wire it up.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/485518-wiring-8274-albright.html

Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got some new front and rear bumpers, fabbed up a winch mount, completely restored an old Warn 8274 I found on craigslist (replaced all seals, bearings, worn parts, had the case media blasted and powder coated), had a slip yoke eliminator kit installed, changed all the fluids, did some paint work, got some new wheels, and had some exhaust work done. She runs awesome now. Next, I'm going to be installing some rock sliders (probably tonight). After that, I'm probably going to be done for a while.

Jeep4.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  76.52 KB
 Viewed:  23154 Time(s)

jeep7.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  62.01 KB

Jeep6.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  78.09 KB

Jeep5.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  65.17 KB

Jeep3.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  77.93 KB

Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

I think my next project will be to delete the rear brake lights and do a flush mount LED conversion. I've just got to find some while LED flush mount reverse lights that I want. I've already found the taillights.

Winch1.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  68.69 KB
 Viewed:  23152 Time(s)

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good.

is there an advantage to having the doors with the beige top versus a full door with a glass window? i've always like the look of the full door better, but you see so many with the doors like yours has that there must be a reason for it.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only advantage I see is that you can run half doors in the summer because the soft top parts come off. I had full doors on my last jeep, and I loved them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: