Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2011 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeyJojo
Addict
Addict

City: Central Mississippi

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That didn't take long.

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=14043957

So much for all the Bammer's saying an Auburn fan was just trying to frame them...
FB page http://www.facebook.com/people/Harvey-Updyke/1239559868

PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His FB page says he is a retired state trooper... extra nice.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that was quick. heard they are charging him w/ treeson.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY-O!!!
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read about street agents and college football. Could this bring about any action/punishment?

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/10/street-agents-in-texas-some-new-competition-for-will-lyles/

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
either way - let's just watch this kid very closely over the next year and see how it plays out.

texas coches have uninvited williams to this weekend's junior day. very telling, imo.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
texas coches have uninvited williams to this weekend's junior day. very telling, imo.

Was that the quote? All I saw was that he won't be attending the texas junior day, and that he named A&M, Auburn, Tech his leaders (no particular order). Either way I'm not worried about cheating at A&M, our 2011 class should prove that along with everything else we've seen from Sherman.

And while Gray won't list a "top 5" he said A&M was "in good position" and "high on his list."

texas got a nice pick-up in WR Thomas Johnson. Kid can play. I'm still hoping we get Wheeler, although he didn't leave junior day too happy. We need to offer Jaydrick Declouet too. Need some burners out there.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a lot of careful wording by the 247 guys, but yes - williams was uninvited to this weekend's junior day and isn't sure when/if he'll be invited back at a later date.

you guys came out of last weekend really well. i laughed at the "focusing on 2012 recruiting" last year, but it's definitely paid off for sherm.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like with so many different longhorn sites out there, they try to hint at stuff when they don't have much info. It sounds like there may be some smoke coming from texas, but the only thing substantial is that Auburn is recruiting him.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the guys we have committed so far. It's nice to get the first batch of kids you offer. That tells you how well you're recruiting more-so than the services. Last year we were 4-5 offers deep before we got someone. I still think we found some late bloomers, and under-rated guys, but you'd always like to get your first choice. We're killing on defense and O-line right now. I don't see why we can't get a couple stud skill players to jump on. A bona fide stud QB and WRs. If you look at our team, QB and WR development have been high on the list of things we've done well.

Looking like at least a top 10 class so far though.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of battles seem to be A&M, texas, TCU, rather than OU. TCU's stepping it up in recruiting big-time this year.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - tcu is being super aggressive w/ kids they've never gone after before. i've noticed the lack of ou as well - kind of odd...where the hell are they looking?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I got from my OU source:

OU has two commitments (Kyle Marrs - OL & Alex Ross - RB). OU has give out about 25-30 offers for 2012. Based on current numbers, this will be a very small class at around 15 scholarships. Here is how the OU staff currently would like to see the spots broken down as:

Quarterback - 1
Defensive Tackle - 1
Defensive End - 1
Linebacker - 2
Defensive Back - 2 - 3
Wide Receiver - 1- 2
Offensive Line 3 - 4
Running Back - 1
Athlete - 2
Tight End - 0 - 1

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a quick way to check offers: http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Recruit/Index/2012/Football/Offers

just click the arrow under "ou" in the upper left and pick any school you want to see.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, kind of big news on wheeler:

Gerry Hamilton wrote:
Per Wheeler, Texas is no longer recruiting him.

Texas informed the Crockett staff they were moving on today.

to follow up...

Gerry Hamilton wrote:
Just to be clear, nothing negative about Wheeler popped up. Some kids just aren't fits for Texas and some kids don't fit at Texas.

Don't think anything negative about Wheeler as a kid because he's a good kid.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6148972

Oklahoma's football team has been required to give players a week off from athletic training during the offseason after reporting a series of secondary NCAA rules violations.

The Sooners reported to the NCAA that four assistant coaches had improperly questioned players about their lack of participation in voluntary offseason workouts, and that some players had been working out more than the allowed eight hours per week.

The violations were included in documents released to The Associated Press on Tuesday following an open records request.

According to a letter sent to NCAA director of secondary enforcement Chris Strobel, the university started an investigation after a player refused to sign a weekly practice log and then provided Oklahoma's compliance director with a recording of defensive backs coach Willie Martinez asking why he had missed a voluntary workout.

The investigation found that receivers coach Jay Norvell and offensive line coach James Patton also discussed attendance at the workouts with players, and defensive tackles coach Jackie Shipp received reports from the strength staff on who was participating.

Oklahoma also informed the NCAA that secondary violations occurred when football players went through Pilates sessions in addition to their offseason workouts, when strength coaches observed players' independent agility training and when seven players were required to repeat a conditioning drill. All three resulted the players going over the NCAA's eight-hour weekly limit on guided offseason workouts.

Other violations included a handful of self-reported impermissible text messages and phone calls by assistant coaches to recruits and their fathers, and the team's website posting links to recruiting websites on signing day last year.

The men's basketball team, which was on NCAA probation until May and is again being investigated, also reported secondary violations resulting from two assistant coaches placing two impermissible recruiting calls apiece and three violations related to official visits by prospects.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, yeah I saw that. Sounds to me like they're pretty confident in Cayleb.

Are they going to go on triple super secret probation now? The NCAA always seems to have limp-d1ck when it comes to punishing OU.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
jt09, yeah I saw that. Sounds to me like they're pretty confident in Cayleb.

this was in today's recruiting news
247 wrote:
In the wake of Texas' decision to pass on Crockett's Dominique Wheeler, Hookem.com has learned that Austin High wide receiver Cayleb Jones is expected to end his recruitment in the coming days with Texas in prime position to land his commitment.
Corporate
Addict
Addict

City: The Cats in spanish

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 247 website is a bit of a joke, they have a baseball recruit showing up as a football commit for UW. Sad part is he probably would have started as a freshmen in the Willingham era Laughing
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VT finally has some coaching changes! Shane Beamer coming in will help recruiting a ton and will add some youth to the old staff, and THANK GOD Stinespring no longer has playcalling privileges! Our offense may actually reach its potential for once!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate, 247 is easily the best of all the team sites overall. but each school is run by it's own team, so if there's bad info on a uw kid, it's the fault of the uw guys running that site, not 247.

you sure bishop's not going to play both sports?
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stadium renovation webcam is starting to get interesting- http://www.calbears.com/stadiumcam/

$300 million renovation and earthquake retrofit explained here- http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/st_calstadium/

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, damn! that's a pretty serious design around quakes. Good for them. Glad we don't have to deal with that crap. Sounds expensive.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
Glad we don't have to deal with that crap.

kyle field bats say what? Mr. Green
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, Laughing Laughing yeah, we already have other crap to deal with.

Although those things are nice around mosquito season. I think they eat like 3x their body weight in bugs.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
scott a, damn! that's a pretty serious design around quakes. Good for them.
Unfortunately, there's no 'good for them' type of congratulatory stuff when it comes to building stuff that sits square on an active fault line. It's just a requirement and there's no alternative. A quick look at the damage caused by a 6.3 quake hitting New Zealand will tell you why (link). All of the older buildings that are utterly ruined weren't built to code (obviously- they're old!), and many/most of the newer ones suffered only minimal/superficial damage. So you can probably imagine how much of an issue this might be if 70K+ people are crammed on top of a fault line. Laughing So there's that + the city of Berkeley not wanting this to happen + the HOA nearby not wanting stadium lights installed in their backyard + professors that hate the athletics department wanting to have their say + hippies + others that are crying about the cost of all of this even though all the funding had been acquired five friggin years ago.

Sorry for the rant. Ground should have been broken for this while I was in school there five years ago. I'm so happy that this is happening right now. And Texas, tOSU, and Pac12 fans on this board will be happy that they'll get to visit a brand new (and earthquake-proof) stadium, too, instead of the pisshole that it was facility-wise. Laughing

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oklahoma State's new helmets Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=7251975

BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble seems to be a'brewin for Oregon Football.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, those are fake

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=117530
Corporate
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrtnDan wrote:
Trouble seems to be a'brewin for Oregon Football.

Reading a lot of people saying it isn't Nike U...it's going to be an interesting morning for some school when the ish hits the fan.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's oregon. i also think it's just going to be nothing more than a more detailed writeup than the recruitocosm stuff i've posted here a half dozen times.

i'm loving all the new cam newton stuff though. i'm going to chuckle a bit when that title gets stripped. f*ing ncaa. Evil or Very Mad
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, fran is stealing your kids now... de michael ebbitt is transferring to texas state.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the big article on the cheating, but here's one on football programs and crime

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/02/27/cfb.crime/index.html?eref=sihp
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Cowherd is a punk. His show is so effin redundant. He spends an hour and a half saying the same thing over and over and over.

Whatever school it is, assuming there is even anything remotely like this about to break, it is quite lame to play the "I know a secret but i'm not telling card".

What are we 4?

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, agreed on all accounts. first, it's not cowherds story - this has been out there for about 2 weeks now, and he's just now taking internet rumor and running w/ it. that's ok for me, a random internet poster to do - it's not ok for a national radio host to do, at least not in the way that he's doing it. second, if you have a story, run the damn story and quit teasing. third, cowherd just sucks in general - his show is unlistenable to me. he just wears me out w/ the repetition.
Corporate
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
not the big article on the cheating, but here's one on football programs and crime

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/02/27/cfb.crime/index.html?eref=sihp

A couple places are saying that this is the big article and that everyone just assumed it was recruiting related. Looks like Boise State is competing with the big boys in multiple areas with the stats in that article.
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate wrote:
jt09 wrote:

A couple places are saying that this is the big article and that everyone just assumed it was recruiting related. Looks like Boise State is competing with the big boys in multiple areas with the stats in that article.

Wow, surprises me about BSU.. It seems most of the dirt on peeps tends to come out around here. I wonder if this is just speeding tickets, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 3 of 46

Add To Favorites

Jump to: