Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2011 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, I am really interested to see how things turn out this year for TCU... I was under the same lines of thinking in regards to them losing a lot of players and being a little down. However, from the way to early projections I have been seeing, people are putting them in the top 10. Seems crazy. I even saw a projection of them beating BSU. I am pretty pumped that the BSU/TCU game got moved to BSU.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DB: Jerry Gray comes from the Seahawks most recently, but has a long NFL history. He's a Longhorn legend, and by all accounts has all the makings of an excellent recruiter - mostly because of his unbridled enthusiasm about being a Longhorn again himself. Considered by many to be one of the best teachers in the game.

Ruh Roh!

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - that's a bltch. he's in nashville right now interviewing and will be offered. he took over a luncheon speech yesterday because barnes couldn't be there, so i was hoping that was a sign he wouldn't pursue that gig. Mad
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

NASHVILLE, TENN. - The Tennessee Titans named Jerry Gray as defensive coordinator.

Gray joins the Titans after spending one season as the secondary coach with the Seattle Seahawks. He spent five years as defensive coordinator with the Buffalo Bills from 2001-05. His defenses in 2003 and 2004 each ranked second in the NFL for yards allowed, and both were rated in the top 10 in points allowed. His 2004 defense led the NFL in takeaways with 39 and ranked fifth in red zone defense.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and if you really care, from today's Austin American Statesman. i think i've said most of these, but this is a pretty thorough writeup.
What went wrong: A case study of Texas' 2010 football season

Quote:
• As the year progressed, fractures within the coaching ranks widened to the point where defensive coordinator Will Muschamp got into a heated argument with offensive coordinator Greg Davis after the loss to Iowa State.

• UT's recruiters had overestimated the talent of incoming players, particularly on offense. Coaches had resorted more to watching tapes rather than scouring the 1,400 high schools in Texas for the type of players that brought the Longhorns nine straight 10-win seasons.

Quote:
More than one close observer pins the Longhorns' decline to poor evaluation in recruiting and the pattern that Texas has fallen into of extending scholarship offers before players' senior seasons, thus severely limiting the amount of data to evaluate.

"The biggest contributor, in my opinion, is they lost their talent advantage," said one source with deep connections to Longhorns coaches. "There was no wide receiver worth a (expletive). They didn't have an offensive line that was prepared because of poor development or evaluation.

"Name me a (Longhorns) running back that will play in the NFL. Look at every single running back Texas has. How many did Texas pass over who are going to be NFL running backs? Ten to 15? Would you rather have Kendall Hunter or Tré Newton? Would you rather have Cyrus Gray or Fozzy Whittaker? Christine Michael the next year? You just go down the list."

Quote:
One person with close ties to the coaching staff said: "Mack was the king of entitlement."

That point bore home in particular during the week of the Iowa State game. Leading up to the home game against a Cyclones team that had never beaten Texas, Brown told his players behind closed doors that they all knew they were going to win the game. That was a given.

"Oklahoma just beat these guys 52-0," Brown told them, according to a source who heard the lines. "We have to match that. We have to make a statement."

Quote:
Brown also was blindsided by the hiring of his defensive coordinator Will Muschamp as Florida's new head coach.

Jeremy Foley, Florida's athletic director, had come to Austin the last weekend in November to get acquainted with Muschamp under the pretense of accompanying the Gators' top-ranked women's volleyball team to the NCAA regional playoffs at UT. He spent much of the day with Muschamp, whom he had targeted as a replacement for Urban Meyer, who would retire the following Wednesday.

The next Saturday, Foley again flew to Austin, and sealed the deal with Muschamp.

Muschamp was unavailable for comment for this story, but those who know him say he had become disillusioned with the direction of Brown's program and the lack of accountability in playing time, and grew weary of waiting for Brown's retirement as Texas' head coach-in-waiting.
"He was furious the entire season," one source said. "He got detached."

Another source, however, said Muschamp never spoke negatively about his colleagues, but that he fumed that the coaching staff had done a poor job of evaluating recruiting prospects at offensive line, receiver and running back.
Muschamp's disenchantment spoke to some of the internal dissension on Mack's staff and the schism that grew between the older and younger coaches. That said, Brown regularly lauded running backs coach Major Applewhite in staff meetings, to the point of embarrassment.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
More than one close observer pins the Longhorns' decline to poor evaluation in recruiting and the pattern that Texas has fallen into of extending scholarship offers before players' senior seasons, thus severely limiting the amount of data to evaluate.

"The biggest contributor, in my opinion, is they lost their talent advantage," said one source with deep connections to Longhorns coaches. "There was no wide receiver worth a (expletive). They didn't have an offensive line that was prepared because of poor development or evaluation.

"Name me a (Longhorns) running back that will play in the NFL. Look at every single running back Texas has. How many did Texas pass over who are going to be NFL running backs? Ten to 15? Would you rather have Kendall Hunter or Tré Newton? Would you rather have Cyrus Gray or Fozzy Whittaker? Christine Michael the next year? You just go down the list."

Yet UT recruiting is always ranked in the top 5 Confused

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jerry Gray is the new defensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans for several reasons, not the least of which is much more money and a title. But he also left his position as Longhorns secondary coach because he and boss Mack Brown never thoroughly vetted each other or felt comfortable together. No one made Gray leave the Seahawks and accept the Texas job. Gray truly wanted to come back to his alma mater and help it win another national championship, but he didn't know his $425,000 salary would be so low on the current staff - tied for fourth with offensive line coach Stacy Searels - and be $200K less than the salary of defensive coordinator Manny Diaz despite being more qualified. Gray also worried privately that Brown is still trying to bring back his football ops director Cleve Bryant, who has earned about $80,000 from the university since he took paid leave in October during the school's internal investigation over accusations made by a former female employee. Gray is a terrific coach, and I think if Brown had made him his defensive coordinator, Gray would still be in Austin today. But he started to have misgivings about the Texas program and began talking to new Titans head coach Mike Munchak two weeks ago even before Munchak had the job. But remember this: Mack is all about family, and Gray was looking after his family. I know it hurts the Longhorn Nation, which feels betrayed, but this is probably the best outcome for all parties. I'm told former Horn Van Malone will be high on Mack Brown's list of possible Gray successors.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2011/02/13/9_things_and_on_48.html

Sounds like the problem may be coming from higher up than a poor OC. Even with entire coaching changes there are major red flags flying.

Sounds like Looks like Mack has lost his darling status in the media. The statesmen taking major shots! Hearing Akina may be coming back rather than Van.

Pretty underwhelming Junior day too. The QB from Arizona is a stud, but I'm not sold on the other guys. Riser is over-rated. Big kid but doesn't show great footwork or leverage. They didn't grab any of the top guys I was worried about: Gray, Williams, Wheeler, Cayleb Jones, Tim Cole, etc.

Quote:
So this is what covering mere mortal schools is like?

http://twitter.com/gkketch

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not worries about gray now:

University of Arizona defensive back coach Duane Akina is returning to the University of Texas, according to Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne.

"Duane Akina alerted Coach Stoops & myself this morning that he would be returning to Texas due to family considerations," Byrne wrote on Twitter.

Akina left Texas roughly one month ago after a 10-year stint with Texas and coach Mack Brown.

At Texas, Akina coached two Thorpe Award winners, Aaron Ross and Michael Huff, and four first-round draft picks (Huff, Ross, Michael Griffin, Earl Thomas and Quentin Jammer).
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
Pretty underwhelming Junior day too. The QB from Arizona is a stud, but I'm not sold on the other guys. Riser is over-rated. Big kid but doesn't show great footwork or leverage. They didn't grab any of the top guys I was worried about: Gray, Williams, Wheeler, Cayleb Jones, Tim Cole, etc.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

riser's the #2 ol in the state and he has excellent footwork and leverage for a guard, which is where he is going to play in college, not as a tackle, where he plays in hs.

alex de la torre is a weak take, imo. he's exactly the type of bullshlt take mack offers at junior day instead of picking him up in october to fill out a class. he's good, but he's not great and he would sign w/ texas any time. going to be funny when diaz can't take a stud lb late (like nance from trinity) because there's no more room.

norman is huge and athletic and texas needs dt in a big way. not a wow take, but completely legit player and at a position of need.

orlando thomas is a hell of an athlete (surprisingly there are 4 athletes in the top 20 ranked players in the state this year, which is REALLY high). he played qb for cove last year, but i'm seeing him as a slot wr or db (per 247). military kid that you'll never have an issue w/ off the field (one of my buds was his ap at cove).

tim cole is going to be an aggy along w/ the other 3 brenham boys, imo. i think mack makes a run at brown and it's possible that he ends up a horn, but i doubt it.

gray is going to be a horn, no 2 ways about it.

texas is in good position w/ both wheeler and jones. i'm not particularly worried there. i think wheeler is going to be a horn. i think jones will too, but i'm not quite as confident there.

williams is now hooked up w/ will lyles, so unless that relationship dissolves before feb 26 (ut's second junior day), i think that ship has sailed. i know you guys think that the agent angle is a myth created by longhorn fans, but watch this kid's recruitment closely and let's see who jumps to the forefront as it goes on. let's just note that auburn wasn't remotely in the picture 2 weeks ago, and now they are.
PKwakeboard
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would say the two Junior days were pretty equal," Gray said. "TCU will be rebuilding, and they are getting a new stadium and will be moving to a new conference when I will be a freshman. Texas is trying to have a rebuilding year, too, so the two are equal."
-Johnathan Gray

"Those are my top three right now - A&M, TCU and Texas. I would say it would probably be TCU, Texas and then Texas A&M," Wheeler said.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman's film looks good. Nice take there. I think Gray's still up in the air. Looking like a TCU, A&M, texas battle. He's coming to College Station next weekend. Not sure why he'd pick texas when they haven't shown the ability to run the football at all, don't have the O-linemen for it, and have Malcom Brown sitting one year ahead.

I'd put Gray 1a and Williams 1b in RB this year. Both studs and I'd be fine if we get either. I haven't seen much from this Williams/Agent talk. Sounded like sour grapes. As soon as he turned down the texas junior day, reports came out about agents. I know that stuff does happen, but it could be reporters trying to save face. Recruitocosm literally has no clue.

I'll take Shermans ability to identify O-linemen and Riser has no offer. Riser was maybe #2 after Soph film, but he's peaked. He's a highly rated guy, but I just don't see it. Guys I like more than Riser:

Kennedy Estelle
Cam Hughes
Trey Keenan
Germaine Ifedi
Tipoti
Michael Wilson
Mike Matthews
Christian Okafor

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
I haven't seen much from this Williams/Agent talk. Sounded like sour grapes. As soon as he turned down the texas junior day, reports came out about agents.

williams was verified as coming to austin as late as saturday night, per williams (or his father, can't recall exactly). he was asked not to come by the staff - it wasn't that he just all of a sudden flaked on sunday morning.

just saying - watch his recruitment and lets see where he ends up. let's see who the players are, and if they are the teams usually associated w/ will lyles.

check your pm and i'll send you the pay 247 stuff from gerry hamilton on the junior day offers
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, you sure that's right? From what I was hearing that on Thursday or Friday before the junior day he said he couldn't make either one. Within an hour OB was claiming agent, well before this Saturday night saga. According to Looch he was an Aggie lean after our Junior day, but we'll see where his recruitment goes. I don't see anything on Auburns rival site about him.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not 100%. it's lost in all the junior day/jerry gray leaving updates and you can't search 247 for crap. also, i got really hammered on fri night, so pieces of my weekend are missing.

as i said in the pm - lucci is a complete moron. he thinks a&m has a chance at edwards, and that couldn't be farther from the truth. that's a florida st/texas battle and it's about 80/20 fsu.

either way - let's just watch this kid very closely over the next year and see how it plays out.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncaa investigating auburn about trovon reed's recruitment: http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/ncaa-questions-four-in-louisiana-about-auburn-29499

not coincidentally, reed is another kid involved w/ will lyles.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auburn is clean. Stop posting these rumors JT.

Arrow Arrow

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate February, you blow your load early with LOI day then it's just nits and nats until spring ball which is like dry humping in jeans. August can't get here soon enough.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, you mean you aren't riveted by basketball? (or hockey) Laughing

Spring training starts soon! Cool

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When college BB consists of 64 teams I'm plenty interested. I wax and wane on baseball, I should probably just go to more games. It's not like AT&T Park sucks or anything, but I miss my mid-90s Mariners.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, ATT is fantastic. But it was hard to get tix to good games before, imagine what it will be like this year! Yeesh.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
Man I hate February, you blow your load early with LOI day then it's just nits and nats until spring ball which is like dry humping in jeans. August can't get here soon enough.

sheeeit, longhorn football fans have had plenty to keep the occupied! all kinds of coaching changes, and just landed the 6th verbal for 2012.
PKwakeboard
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, I think he will turn out to be a stud DE.
churchy

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PKwakeboard, you coming to Boise for the game?
PKwakeboard
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to, but probably won't end up making it. I will zero vacation left after a few destination weddings and bachelor parties this summer.

What is the average temp in Boise in December?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad,

Quote:
@Recruitocosm

Rumor going around that Trey Williams is skipping Aggie junior day. Bad sign for the Aggies or a sign they refuse to play the AAU game.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PKwakeboard wrote:
jt09, I think he will turn out to be a stud DE.

hope so - texas is paper thin along the dl right now
JoeyJojo
Addict
Addict

City: Central Mississippi

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama has the greatest football fans on earth

Arrow Arrow

http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/oaks.html

Quote:
Toomer's Corner oaks poisoned with herbicide; unlikely to survive

AUBURN – Auburn University today confirmed that an herbicide commonly used to kill trees was deliberately applied in lethal amounts to the soil around the Toomer's Corner live oaks on campus, and there is little chance to save the trees. More information and ongoing updates as to treatment and prognosis are available at www.auburn.edu/oaks.
The City of Auburn Police Division is investigating the situation, and the application of this herbicide, known as Spike 80DF, or tebuthiuron, is also governed by state agricultural laws and the Environmental Protection Agency. The university does not use Spike herbicide. There is no reason to suspect any human danger from the herbicide, which manufacturer Dow Chemical says should be applied with proper clothing protection; a typical use of the herbicide is to kill trees along fence lines.
The university learned that a caller to The Paul Finebaum Show, a nationally syndicated radio show based in Birmingham, on Jan. 27, claimed he had applied the herbicide. As a precaution, soil samples were taken the next day and sent to the Alabama State Pesticide Residue Laboratory on campus for analysis. Due to a small fire that occurred in the Alabama lab in December, the tests were sent to the lab at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss., to expedite results.
The lowest amount detected was 0.78 parts per million, described by horticulture experts as a "very lethal dose." The highest amount detected was 51 parts per million, or 65 times the lowest dose. Experts believe a normal application by itself would have been enough to kill the trees, which are estimated to be more than 130 years old.
"We are assessing the extent of the damage and proceeding as if we have a chance to save the trees," said Gary Keever, an Auburn University professor of horticulture and a member of Auburn's Tree Preservation Committee. "We are also focused on protecting the other trees and shrubs in Samford Park. At this level the impact could be much greater than just the oaks on the corner, as Spike moves through the soil to a wide area." Additional tests are being completed to determine the movement and extent of the area affected, Keever said.
The removal process involves digging trenches and applying activated charcoal to absorb the herbicide from the soil and block its progress. A representative from Dow Chemical, which manufactures the herbicide, is advising the university on removal procedures, and expert horticulturalists are also being consulted.
"We will take every step we can to save the Toomer's oaks, which have been the home of countless celebrations and a symbol of the Auburn spirit for generations of Auburn students, fans, alumni and the community," said University President Jay Gogue.
Gogue asked members of the Auburn Family to "continue to be 'All In' in upholding its reputation for class" and not allow anger to be expressed inappropriately or undeservedly.
"It is understandable to feel outrage in reaction to a malicious act of vandalism," Gogue said. "However, we should live up to the example we set in becoming national champions and the beliefs expressed in our Auburn Creed. Individuals act alone, not on behalf of anyone or any place, and all universities are vulnerable to and condemn such reprehensible acts."
Because the application of the herbicide is being investigated, no details about the investigation can be released. Anyone with information can contact the Auburn Police Division at (334) 501-3110 or anonymously by voice or text on the tip line at (334) 246-1391.
CONTACTS FOR MEDIA:
Mike Clardy, (334) 844-9999 (clardch@auburn.edu), or
Deedie Dowdle, (334) 844-9999 (ddowdle@auburn.edu)[/b]

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is all kinds of f*cked up
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously Uncool.

<-----not remotly a tree hugger

But, that f'ing sucks

JoeyJojo
Addict
Addict

City: Central Mississippi

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio clip from Finebaum's show

Roll Damn Tide indeed...

http://podcasting.fia.net/6960/4653779.mp3

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PKwakeboard wrote:
What is the average temp in Boise in December?

Without getting the real number from weather.com, I will hazard a guess that it will be somewhere between 0-60. It was in the 60s here yesterday. It will probably be around 40.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Auburn, we got a few folks that would be interested in helping save your trees.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a crappy thing. But I don't understand why someone would poison a tree at an ag school. Our horticulture program is top notch. I just can't believe some idiot would do that. Apparently the amount of poison he used could've gotten in the groundwater.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rumor going around that Trey Williams is skipping Aggie junior day. Bad sign for the Aggies or a sign they refuse to play the AAU game.

He already came out to our first Jr Day. We'll see where this goes. Sherman won't even negative recruit, we're definitely not playing that game if there is one.

That story about the trees is F'ed up. Can't believe someone would do that..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 2 of 46

Add To Favorites

Jump to: