Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

IR Blaster/Transmitter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: IR Blaster/Transmitter Reply with quote

Need some techie help.

I moved into a condo with a university friend - it's pretty small so in order to gain some space, we thought of hanging our TV on the wall and running all the electronics through the wall to a closet on the other side (AV receiver, xbox, mac mini, apple tv, cable box etc).

Clearly the problem is remitting the signal back to the other side of the wall. There's a few options:
1. Logitech 900 RF remote - too expensive (although i'm trying to find on kijiji)
2. IR blaster of some sort (HERE'S MY QUESTION) - has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks ..

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Logitech Harmony One should be much cheaper. I think it's $150 at best buy right now, if I recall correctly. I don't know if that's going to solve your problem though. Best Buy should let you use the product for 30 days, if it doesn't work like you want it, then take it back.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those things use BlueTooth, like the xbox, which you are not going to be able to IR Blast.

If it were me I'd spend the money on the 900 or 890 RF, once you've got a Harmony remote you can't go back.

This looks like something that may work for you though.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=88h&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=603&q=ir+blaster+rf&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=632603094728322206&ei=qXEPTcTRKI7_nAfv9q3uDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CFYQ8wIwAA#

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1, the Harmony One doesn't support RF, only the 890, 900, or 1000.
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have the 890 which is the route I was going to recommend. If you go this route, you will also need the RF extender.
ohsix

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a "home theatre" setup installed in my house a while back. My TV is hung on the wall and all other electronics are in a closet on the opposite side of the room. I have a Universal MX-450 remote that controls everything. It controls the TV by IR and everything else goes to a wireless "base station" in the closet which then has IR outputs going to each device. I was told by the installer that this setup is better than the Logitech remotes and a quick internet search shows that the remote is cheaper than the Logitech 900.
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a couple of mirrors?? Laughing
J-Ro

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an IR extender. Got it for $50 and controls 4 components with the option to add more. Always works and is simple to set up. Have one in the master too because I am too lazy to open the armoir door.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the route suggested by J-Ro. I already have a harmony (sans RF capability), don't really want another one. Plus, my dad has the 890 and I like the feel of mine much more.

Purchased:
$78 - IR Extender - http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Acoustics-40430-Infrared/dp/B001BLTDZA
$38 - USB Wall plugs x 4 http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/av_wp-in-usb2.htm
$3 - Wall cover x 1 http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/pr_wp-4p-wh.htm
(two for xbox, two for mac mini)

Getting:
Samsung Sound Bar - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-speaker-bar-hw-c450-hw-c450/10140329.aspx?path=efd9f449749c544ea60b46342492d395en02
- at cost (TBD)
USB Extenders x 4 - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-15-ft-transparent-usb-2-0-cable-usb2hab15t/10155709.aspx?path=4e73e15f73745f837055720ce4c01c47en02
- at cost (approx $1/unit - TBD)
Rocketfish Wall Mount - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-26-40-full-motion-flat-panel-tv-wall-mount-rf-tvmfm02-rf-tvmfm02/10147930.aspx?path=f9acb62db8ac98e63c3c7a6b1223abcden02
- at cost (approx. $25 - TBD)

I'll add this to the stuff I already have:
40" Samsung LCD
Mac Mini w/ a 1TB external hard-drive
AppleTV
Xbox 360 w/ a 500GB external hard-drive
cable box (not using it ...)

I already have 12 ft Rocketfish HDMI (x 2) and Optical audio (although this doesn't need to be long). Those were free from my brother but i need to replace his at cost (approx $30 - TBD).

The USBs are for xbox controllers (wired ones) and harddrive for watching movies etc (the closet is in my roommate's room so this should avoid needing to go in there. Also for charging iPhones etc.

Xbox controllers are RF, however, the power it on using the Harmony, you need an IR signal (I believe).

We're going to try to avoid cable - right now we're getting basic cable for free which gives us most Leafs games (hopefully we don't get shut down) - this is all we really need cable for anyways. We are going to set up a VPN with a US IP address and then share a US netflix and US hulu plus account with my brother for our TV and movie-watching needs (he has a US mailing address which allows this all to work). Plus, I'll have the Apple TV and Mac Mini with torrents.

Overall, I think it will be a pretty sick set-up, although it sucks that we won't have HD for sports.

J-Ro

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arof, Check into the P2P sports websites and stremtorrent for hockey games. PQ is notHD level but may be worth it for you to not have to get cable.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Ro, we got 3 months free cable so we're going with that now.

The install was Saturday night - here's some pictures:

Before:

After:

works perfectly and looks sick. Sorry for the shitty quality - iphone pictures.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of both a MacMini and the ATV? Are you trying for a job in the department of redundancy department?

Anyhow - looks great other than that cable going around the corner. I'm going to put my components in the closet pretty soon myself. Have to before my boy starts moving around on his own. Neutral

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, had the apple TV and then also got a mac mini because my other personal computer broke.

Apple TV has some movies which aren't available on the Mac Mini. Also, i like the interface of the Apple TV better for watching movies as I can use my remote and don't need to pull out the mouse and keyboard.

Kind of pissed off about the cord - the cable guy only activated the cable outlet in the main room. There's one in the bedroom that we're going to use, just need to get Rogers out to activate it.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think there was anything "ATV specific". I thought it was just all run through iTunes?

As for the mouse and keyboard - couldn't you just use the remote that came with the Mini and FrontRow?

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when I go to rent or buy movies on my Apple TV, many times it will give me a warning saying that the movie can't be played from a computer and will only play from Apple TV. I've searched for these moves in iTunes and couldn't find them? Unfortunately, I can't provide specific examples. I could be wrong ...

Plus, the ATV interface for renting movies is nicer and easier on a TV than from the computer and loading them that way.

I could use the Mini remote, but again, you can't select and start downloading the movie in itunes without a mouse. Plus, having the mac mini mouse would take away from the 1 remote system i've got going on!

Also, ATV allows you to stream movies (you don't have to wait for it to be done downloading). I'm pretty sure this doesn't work in iTunes either.

arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reviving this thread as I am in the process of setting up a new system and thought I'd let you guys know what I'm doing:

System is:
40 inch samsung TV
Samsung sound bar referenced above

Apple TV
Mac Mini w/ about 6 TB of storage (including externals) running plex (movies TV shows) and hockeystreams (Leafs)
Samsung Blue-ray player
xbox 360
Wii
Digital antenna

consoles etc are going to be under the floor (in a crawlspace); it is a bit of work to get the cables there as I need to go through the wall to the garage and then down angled to get into the crawlspace through concrete but its done now.

IR blaster to get the IR signal to the devices
4 USB ports in the wall (2 for xbox, 2 for mac mini
left an extra ethernet cable behind the TV as I assume when i get a new TV it will be smart.

Pictures to follow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: