Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Handle Pass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venko7

City: Durban, South Africa

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Handle Pass Reply with quote

hey guys,

ive really been having trouble with my handle passing...im getting the full rotation and landing cleanly except w/o the handle....just wondering if any of you have any tips on how to make it easier or what not

thanks in advance
BrianABE
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/higher-learning-wakeboarding/2010/04/06/how-to-handle-pass-like-a-pro/
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, has been giving me trouble too..
liquid forcekin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Athens

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid link. watched that a while ago, really helpful
venko7

City: Durban, South Africa

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thanks that was a huge help....much appreciated
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun's got a good point in that video. Another common problem I see with most people learning to handle pass is going for the handle too early.

Take a heelside frontside 3 for example. Most people learning the trick will try to do a 180, pass the handle, then do the other 180. That breaks your rhythm and it's pretty tough to learn to get the handle at that point.

Instead, think of doing the whole 360 with your back hand on the handle. That will let you smoothly control the full spin with the same hand, and after bringing the handle through the small of your back, grabbing only takes putting your front hand by your lead hip, the handle is already there.

So a later handle pass will set you up for the pass much better and in a better position than if you try to grab it near the middle of your back.
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes so much sense! i wish i could go out and try right now Sad
WhackedRampage
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same issues last year, until I saw a video of myself. I noticed I was trying to initiate the 360 too early. Now, I can land them pretty consistently by reminding myself:

Pop, pull, then pass (Pop off the wake, pull handle to the small of your back, then do the pass).

If you remember those three simple steps, you will get it.
tiqueman
Criminal
Criminal

City: Parrish / Bradenton

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled for quite some time when I was learning 3's. And same thing, I could land them perfect 100% of the time, just never had the rope. I saw in a video, this was back in the mid 90s, two things that helped me way more than I thought they would and even better, I learned it at my house, in my room. Two things, and both have to do w/ repetition and muscle memory. First thing I did was tied a handle which had a 3" line off it, to a milk jug filled w/ sand. If I remember correctly, it was not completely full, just enough to give you resistance. Go yout in your yard, take your stance like your on the board and start slinging it around your body. This will help in both the pass and kepping your axis. 2nd thing I did, Id take the handle and loop it onto a bed post and simply jump and spin a 3 right off the floor. With that, youll have to pass the handle. Id do this about 20 times before bed and when I got up.

I rode a few months and could not pass the handle to save my life. I started these two exercises on a Sunday and di them both everyday until the following Saturday when I rode next. I stuck my first 360 that day and didnt miss one all day. It sound lame, but it worked for me, and worked well. Now, 15 years later, when I do find myself feeling wierd about passing the handle, I will often revert back to the old learning days and still will toss a weight around myself. Bouncing on a trampoline while doing that will help as well.

Also very important is what whacked said, 2 things actually. tape yourself a lot. You can learn so much by watching yourself. What you think your doing and what your actually doing aften is quite a bit different. And, absolutely make sure you have left the wake before initiate the spin. Throwing it early makes it a bear to get the handle pass.

Good luck, youll get it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: