Wakeboarder Forum Index

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Gel Coat repair

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
seth045
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 14
City: JC

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Gel Coat repair Reply with quote

I have an 09 X-star. My sister was driving and ran over my handle. The handle took some small chunks of Gel Coat/ Fiberglass out of the hull around the prop area. I keep the boat in the water. I figured I'd fix it at the end of the season. I spoke to a MC mechanic and he said, "no biggie fix it when you pull it out." BUT I was reading another guys response on here about not having a Gel Coat scrach in the water. Do I have something to worry about? I know around the prop area the hull is super thick. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bobwire
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 72
City: Melbourne

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there is no fiberglass showing there's no problem. If you do have glass showing, I would seal it up to prevent it from obsorbing water.

You could temporarily (or permenently) seal it with Marine Tex or any other type of epoxy. I personally like Marine Tex cause its available in white.

_________________
Hold my beer and watch this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seth045
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 14
City: JC

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any Fiberglass. The most I saw was a "black layer" under my yellow top coat. Is there a moisture layer right under the top coat? Is there any concern that water could seperate any of the layers? Thanks again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 9479
City: Sac

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw some marine tex on there until you plan on repairing. If you can't see fiberglass I wouldn't worry about it.
_________________
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
McNasty
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 02 Jan 2010
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and marine tex will even dry under water. I love this stuff so much I use it all the try to fix car bumbers and other things around the shop.
_________________
www.shredthreadsink.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seth045
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 14
City: JC

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
seth045
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 14
City: JC

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so after another look. I can't see any fiberglass, but one of the cuts is deep into the (black) resin.
Currently I'm letting the area dry out. What are some recommendations for the repair?
I would like the repair to match up perfectlly. Is that possible for me to do? Can I get it perfect? Should I let a gelcoat guy do the repair?
My boat is yellow/black, in that area it's yellow.
Thanks, I appreciate any help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
             


Copyright © 2012 - Wakeboarding - Wakeboarder.com - All Right Reserved
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group