Wakeboarder Forum Index

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Best Boats with Hidden Ballast

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Indyxc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Best Boats with Hidden Ballast Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Great forum, first post, but I've done a lot of reading on these forums as a lot of questions have been answered already.

Anyway, I am buying my first wakeboard boat. I've done a lot of research and am still up in the air on the boat, but one thing I do like is having the ability to hide the upgrade ballast.

For this I really like the 06+ Mobius LSV and 05+ Supra Launch 21v. I think it's funny a lot of people here put those boats down for not having hard tank, but then have a Mastercraft Xstar with hard tank BUT bags laying everywhere in the cabin.

Looks to stay around 21 feet and 35k or under. I like:

Original X-stars, then x2, and now x1. With upgraded ballast can it be hidden or is it everywhere? These boats seem to require massive amounts of ballast to have a good wake? I do like the picklefork 2005 era xstars. These seem to come with only ~800 lbs of ballast from the factory... Do end up with bags everywhere?

Malibus- Too pricey for me, don't realy like the looks of them, and not a fan of the wedge. I do like the new Wakesetter VTX, but too pricey compared to what else is out there.

Mobius LSV- Like the look of the boat, don't like the generic perfect pass. How much ballast can you put hidden into these? This is probably my front runner boat right now.

Supra 21v- Great boat it seems, I DO NOT like the tall freeboard, for a small lake like I'll be on (550 acres). How much ballast can you hide in these?

Basically, I want a boat that I can add a lot of ballast too eventually that will be hidden, about 21 feet.

Which is the best with that in mind? I've read all about the other apsects. Wake shape, size, interior finish, etc.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brichter14
Addict
Addict


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 705

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most v drives have enough storage on each side of the engine to put flyhigh 750lb bag on each side. If it comes with hard tanks you will have to remove them. The ski locker has room for a bag and flyhigh makes "bow filler" sacs that go inside the storage areas in the bow.
_________________
Lake Shelbyville, IL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man


Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Posts: 7597
City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, get the best value '02-03ish Nautique 210, Malibu VLX, Mastercraft XStar/X2 .....& maybe a Bass Tracker 190TX.....and put the money you save into gas, hookers and cocaine....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Indyxc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

But with the bags you put in the ski locker, you have to fill them with an external dc or ac power pump, and then put them in the lockers.

I basically want a boat that has large amounts of integrated, hidden ballast. I don't want to fill bags and put them all over the place. I'll be ridding a lot I'm guessing over the next couple years, and that will get old.

Which boats best fit that bill. I like the original xstar a lot, but seeing as how you need to fill it with 2500 lbs of ballast to make a great wake, well I don't see how what I described above wouldn't be the norm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McNasty
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 02 Jan 2010
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a SAN. Love mine and the wake is incrediable with the factory ballast. You can alway pull the hard tanks and put soft ones in.
_________________
www.shredthreadsink.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brichter14
Addict
Addict


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 705

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indyxc wrote:
Thanks for the info.

But with the bags you put in the ski locker, you have to fill them with an external dc or ac power pump, and then put them in the lockers.

I basically want a boat that has large amounts of integrated, hidden ballast. I don't want to fill bags and put them all over the place. I'll be ridding a lot I'm guessing over the next couple years, and that will get old.

Which boats best fit that bill. I like the original xstar a lot, but seeing as how you need to fill it with 2500 lbs of ballast to make a great wake, well I don't see how what I described above wouldn't be the norm.


boats like the xstar have whats called the "KGB" ballast system with two hard tanks in the back and a ski locker tank. The fittings for an automatic fill are already installed and all you would need to do is get bigger bags to replace the tanks. And as far as i know you can integrate the "Bow Filler" bag with the ski-locker fill so you dont have to do much extra plumbing.

_________________
Lake Shelbyville, IL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
midwestrider30
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 47
City: north korea

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invite a lot of your friends. Free moveable ballast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Posts: 2086
City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a 03 moomba LSV and love it. mine has real perfect pass though. as do most it was a option at the dealership.
ive got 1900 lbs all hidden. upgraded the rear bags to two 750 lbs( they make specific upgrade bags just for the moomba/supra, all hidden in stock location)
and the stock 400 lbs in the front/ski locker area under the floor.
its all hidden and uses the factory plumped in hoses and pumps. no work required.

all hidden. i do like a rampier/ nose heavy boat so i add another 400lb sack up in the nose. this is not hidden. making total weight 2300.
but to be honest the wake is awesome with just the 400 hidden front/ski locker factory sack and the added 400 lb sack in the front. that what i ride with 99% of the time. if you dont want the sack up there just have two freinds sit in the bow.

the moomba also makes a killer surf wake.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Plave
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brichter14 wrote:
Indyxc wrote:
Thanks for the info.

But with the bags you put in the ski locker, you have to fill them with an external dc or ac power pump, and then put them in the lockers.

I basically want a boat that has large amounts of integrated, hidden ballast. I don't want to fill bags and put them all over the place. I'll be ridding a lot I'm guessing over the next couple years, and that will get old.

Which boats best fit that bill. I like the original xstar a lot, but seeing as how you need to fill it with 2500 lbs of ballast to make a great wake, well I don't see how what I described above wouldn't be the norm.


boats like the xstar have whats called the "KGB" ballast system with two hard tanks in the back and a ski locker tank. The fittings for an automatic fill are already installed and all you would need to do is get bigger bags to replace the tanks. And as far as i know you can integrate the "Bow Filler" bag with the ski-locker fill so you dont have to do much extra plumbing.


KGB is an optional extra isn't it?

They might not all have the plug and play upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobwire
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 72
City: Melbourne

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want them hidden, you can throw some sacs on each side of the engine like Brichter said, then build a sub floor to go over it. That way you can still use it as storage.
With a 35k budget, you could even hire someone to do it for you.

_________________
Hold my beer and watch this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moon
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 44
City: Prosser

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at the MB Sports B52V which is 21.5'. Sure you have the hard tanks but they are hidden and lockers are huge if you want to add additional weight without bags being seen. Also pretty sure the MB F21 has the same amount of room for additional weight as the B52, but it looks like it may be out of your budget.
_________________
Moon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
             


Copyright © 2012 - Wakeboarding - Wakeboarder.com - All Right Reserved
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group