Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Making money online?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Making money online? Reply with quote

No this is not a spam post for those that want to get rich quick..

I wanted to check again to see how and what people are doing online to make some money.

I have a few things going online that bring in cashflow and I am always interested in hearing what others are doing. In the past I have actually helped some get things off the ground for others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried using the big spot survey thing, and never qualify for anything so ive given up on those,
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that seems a little scammy.. probably really hard to make that work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you sign up, they give you five bucks, but then as the day(s) go on new surveys pop up, with the amount given for each survey, and the %chance of being accepted. most give about 2-5bucks and take 10-20mins. aND YOU HAVE TO GET 25 BUCKS BEFORE YOU CAN GET ANY MONEY. FOR MOST OF THE(sorry caps got put on cant type with a cast) surveys id do a ten minute survey, then at the end it would say you didnt qualify. so yeah there a scam and dont give any money
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: May 07, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automated, automated, automated. After being in business since 1996, I finally found the light at the end of my tunnel about 3 years ago. I got sick and tired of being stuck on the phones every day, all day, selling every little product from a $9 item up to a $9,000 item. Everyone that called asked for me just because they had heard my name somewhere, or "I" was recommended by their friend. While the recommendation was nice, it was a terrible cycle to get stuck in where I was the face AND the grunt load of my own company. I basically had assistants helping me while I struggled (and generally failed) to raise sales.

In July 2008, right as the recession was starting, I put my new plan into action.
Since that time I have taken my main online company from being STUCK at $4-5M/yr for 7 years to currently sitting on pace to sell $13M this year. My work-week went from 60-80+ hours to currently 25-30, and I'm making way more than I ever have in my life working less than half as much.

My plans are already in action to sell $20M next year, and $30-$35M in 2013 while maintaining margins and likely even raising them through logistic efficiencies and more bargaining power with the manufacturers.

I would imagine that Boardstop (etc.) is a bittersweet thing just like my company was. You love making the phone ring and seeing the emails and PM's, but you leave exhausted and at the end of the year barely better off than you were the year before. Maybe I'm wrong, forgive me, its just a guess based on my own experiences and what I've seen others go through as well.

Kind regards,

Dusty

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 07, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

Phones, Live Chat and customer support have always been a big part of the day but being able to work my own hours has made it worth it to me. The local store is run by someone else so I am not tied to it 9-5. It does seem like I work 24-7 because everything I am doing is around boats or the boardstop(wakeboarder.com etc netwrok). Unlike most companies we do not sell just to sell stuff. We always under order on product because I hate being stuck with a large amount of inventory at the end of the season. Of course that causes me to lose sales deep into the wake season. There are probably a huge number of things we can do more business like.....but then I would feel like my day job was a business.... Smile Best part about our situtation is that we are moving a ton of product and not having to spend a huge amount of money on marketing. I have had a few that wanted to buy in but I like not having anyone in the mix. There is a huge amount of money on the table in this industry that I have not really tried to go after.

If you ever make it to Austin I would love to take you out to lunch so let me know if you are down this way.

V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: May 09, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working your own hours definitely has its appeal. Inventory you're forced to sell at cost or below is clearly not desirable. Of course losing sales is not desirable either. It amazes me how much, in your industry, end-of-season or last year's stuff plummets in value, even though its still brand new. I think your industry suffers from being a very young marketplace (especially online), and needs more time to catch up with other markets. My main industry suffers from the same thing, although not as badly as I perfect your market being. You need a strongly enforced MAP Policy for starters so that everyone can make money, and you can even 2-step product to smaller shops if you so desire.

Your marketing is done right here obviously...same reason I own a forum. I've been offer pretty big bucks to sell my forum but refuse to. I can only imagine the money being left on the table for someone hungry and knowledgeable. Honestly I would have already attacked this (weak) industry myself BUUUUUUUUT, wakeboarding is the only hobby I have that I haven't turned into a business, and I simply refuse to cross that line.

My lady and my little girl are going to San Antonio this summer to visit SeaWorld and stay a couple of days with her brother. I'm not sure when exactly yet, but I'll hit you up in advance and we can catch lunch on our way down or way back up.

Cheers,

Dusty

sickwake

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For knowledge purposes do you find that your business will be growing despite the young market of action sports athletes? Or do you see great growth from companies that sell and support these athletes? IE liquid Force, Hyperlite, Oneill etc.

I have my own ideas to start an online business relating to wakeboarding. Learning as much about the industry as I can. While some say this is a weak industry others say it it has so much more room to grow. What do you guys say?

I have never liked the idea of carrying products and goods. As It really is a pain. Leveraging and creating a residual just makes more sense to me.

Peace,

Jessie
bigair

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generate much of my business through social media so it does work. I have been able to retire my wife and make a good living, there is no such thing as get rich quick yet you can make money very fast if you are willing to work and you are committed. I spend much of my time making calls from my office/G23. Chris Schweda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: