Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Frustrated with W2W 180's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Dubai

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Frustrated with W2W 180's Reply with quote

Urgh this is driving me crackers. So I've got my W2W's nailed and can do hs/ts and ts/hs 180's over 1 wake on both sides. But now trying the big jumps w2w throwing the 180 in and I just can't land the thing.

I'm goofy and I ride switch alot, but it's just throwing me landing on my regular side. I know what I need to be doing, but just find myself putting too much weight on my heels instead of transfering to toeside and continuing out. Dropping my back hand also seems to help.

Any tips to help with this before I go insane.

da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough one.. 180's come really easy to me so i'll try to give some advice, even though i am new..

when you leave the wake and get good pop, suck your knees up to get the board high and directly under you, and rotate.
Once you land, it will be neutral since the board is directly under you, not slightly in front of you. this is how i do it though Wink
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks, will give that a bash.
neverwinter
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask and you shall receive!!

http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/higher-learning-wakeboarding/2010/04/06/how-to-land-every-180/
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! That makes so much more sense - will be trying that at the weekend Very Happy

Thank you!

STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure to look out with your eyes, towards the shore your flying towards. ill be you land it first time. eyes up. if your looking down, your body will follow.
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STANG KILLA SS wrote:
be sure to look out with your eyes, towards the shore your flying towards. ill be you land it first time. eyes up. if your looking down, your body will follow.

Yeah I hear you on that one. One of my friends did exactly that and went face first, it was almost like 'oooooh I see a fish I want down there' - BANG!

slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and stick that handle in your back pocket!!!!! this was the single most thing that helped me because i kept sliding out on my heels from slightly under rotating, if your over exaggerate where you are putting the handle on the spin it will help, so stick that handle deep in your back pocket and i bet you will have success
liquid forcekin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Athens

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful video. that helps alot
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocoholic, I struggled with W2W 180's for a long time too. I also ride goofy and I also ride switch comfortably. Like a lot of people, I tended to land on my heels and slide out onto my butt.

After a bunch of trial and error, there were a few things that helped me finally land the HS 180. Now I land them about 95% of the time and when I don't, its usually because I forget to do one of the following. Some of these have already been touched on in the thread.

1. Warm up. To build up to the trick, I'd repeatedly do 1-wake and inside-out 180's. This got me used to landing on my switch toeside edge. I'd usually do this 5-10 times immediately before I tried the W2W 180

2. Remember to pop first, then rotate. Like a lot of riders, I tended to huck the 180 right off of the lip like a snowboarder hitting a kicker. Remember to wait for the pop, get up in the air, then rotate your 180. I like to try to throw the 180 on the way down. Think of dividing the distance across the wake into thirds. Don't rotate until you're 2/3 of the way there.

3. Eyes up, spot your landing. This was already discussed and its a great point. I pick a spot on the shore (tree or whatever) and focus on riding to it.

4. Land on edge and PUSH the handle BACK towards the wake as you ride away from it. slidin_out hit on this in his post.

5. When you get frustrated with it, move on to something else and come back to it later. Mr. Green

Hope some of this helps. Make sure you get some video when you start stomping them! Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - thanks for the tips. Still struggling with it a bit, but slowly getting there. mY problem at the moment is I'm over thinking it, I think aout the rotation, then mess up my jump so I don't get the distance and usually slam into the other wake. I did land one, then wobbled and lost it.

I'll keep trying - thanks so much for the encouragment Very Happy

Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I think might help you is this:

You mentioned you can do 1 wake 180s. I also started doing 1 wake 180s but i did super small half arsed ones. My *guess* is that when you do them 1 wake, you are probably doing teeny little jumps.

My additional suggestion is to progressively work up to the w2w 180. Do a piddly, tiny one. Then take a slightly bigger approach and go further and further until you're almost across the wake - THEN try you w2w 180.

My problem going from 1 wake to w2w 180s was that I didn't attempt to progress, i just did a piddly one and then was like hey lets do this w2w. So when I tried them w2w i would freak out a bit and be like OMG WHAT IF I FALL, and then i'd wuss out, or do it half arsed.

I can do w2w 180s in all 4 positions now. That's my other suggestion, after you learn it - learn it the other ways and you'll be a way better rider because of it.

TAMELESSTGR

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggled with these today, landed my first 2 yesterday, landed 2 today out of 15 or so. I keep slipping out no matter if I try to keep both hands on or let one go. Going t ogo back to the 1 wake HS 180 and practice cutting away on my switch edge. Only really got serious about riding switch this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: