Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Installing tower - Flat mount, curved hull... options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaynDoor
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Meriden CT

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Installing tower - Flat mount, curved hull... options? Reply with quote

Title says it all... Im installing a DIY Wake pro swoop tower and the locations the tower needs to be have a pretty good curve to them... The flat DIY foot has about an 1/8 inch of daylight on the top and bottom... im not "lost" on what to do... just wondering if people have implimented a solution that worked and can post what they did... like "intalled this tower two years ago with same curved hull issue... thanks to my solution no cracked gel coat still"

Obviously I cant be the first person that has had this issue, but i havent seen many/any solutions posted...

Easiest I can think of is just take a small drum sander to the center of the rubber gasket DIY provides to make the profile thinner through the center... But, not sure if that will be rigid enough to distribute the force across the entire foot...

Another would be to make a shim out of plastic... cut it out and sand like above....

Any other ideas out there?

3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need something more than rubber to fill that void. The plastic idea is a slightly better idea because its more rigid. But for a piece of mind I would try for something harder if possible. When you torque the bolts down its going to warp the glass and stress it. Maybe grind down the metal foot to match your boats curve?

I realize these towers are desirable due to the cheap costs and work great on some boats better than others, but if they really wanted to profit more they should find a better mounting technique similar to what Samson towers does. I don't own one but they supply a wide variety of curved feet to match your boats contour, alleviating this problem. The cost is higher, but stress cracks are not going to happen.

Can you throw up a pic of your mounting feet to give us a better idea of what your dealing with to possibly swing some ideas your way?

My tower was designed for my boat, see how drastic the curve had to be to match my boats fiberglass...

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
fd2blk
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anyone with a small CNC? or perhaps a local machine shop. I would think milling the bottom of the mount not the rubber gasket to the correct shape would be the best fix. You could do it yourself with hand tools but it would take a bit longer. Put a add in craigslist if all else fails I bet you could get someone local to mill it for pretty cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: