Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

kiteboarding Destinations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: kiteboarding Destinations Reply with quote

now that I'm pretty much full on into this sport I need some ideas of where I can go to kiteboard now. Part of the reason it appeals to me is some of the different locations you can board at.

We were in the outerbanks a couple of weeks ago and that was very cool. When the trip was booked back in February we hadn't planned on kiteboarding at that time. We didn't get great wind out there but still thought it was a great place to go back in the future.

My question is where are some good places to kite in the winter time? I was doing some research on South Padre Island, that looks pretty cool but what are the water temps like in December? I've heard Maui is good but what I really like about the Outerbanks and Padre is the sound side which looks like it's pretty flat water. Would Maui have something like that?

What other places have people gone to kite? Bora Bora? Tahiti? ect ect? I'm open to suggestions of where to go.

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From nov-apr Costa Rica is perfect. Lake Arenal and Bahia Salinas are the 2 spots.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to do Costa Rica

I pretty much had my flights booked last year and then my brother in law f'd up my plans and got married in February. In Utah to make matters worse.

I think I talked to you last year about Costa Rica. You board on a lake though right? is the lake deep or shallow? I ask because I'm almost at the point of starting and stopping at the same point, however my wife is a ways from that point. We would need shallow and a place where we good do some good down winders and be able to walk back up.

Do you have any pics of where you ride?

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was me indeed. Would be cool if you could make it down here after all!
'My' lake is Lake Arenal.
http://www.ticowind.com/ and http://costaricakiteboarding.com/
No shallow water here but I'm learning here too, it's doable.
In Copal/Bahia Salinas there's big shallow parts and you can walk back over the beach after a down winder. There's several schools/centers there, one was recommended to me but can't think of the name right now. Or can I? Bob Selfridge - http://www.destinationkiteboarding.com/cometa-copal-kitesurfing.html
Yep that's the man.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski, If you end up going post some pics! I'd love to do a trip someday when I can afford it.

How'd you get your wife in to kiting? haha. My girlfriend is scared of it and I think it'd be a fun thing to do together.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnar

The wife has been wakeboarding/skating and surfing for years now. She was a bit hesitant to try it as well. She got comfortable flying the trainer kite then we put her on my 6 meter kite on the ground. Where we go they have chains anchored into the ground for teaching so you can get drug around if you screw up. Once she was comfortable flying the kite we put her in the water and did some water dragging. I was the most concerned about that if she wouldn't like it after doing that. She did about a 40 minute water drag down wind and came out of the water with the biggest smile on her face and said that was the most fun she's ever had.

I put her in a lesson down in hatteras and she feels very comfortable now and is getting up on the board. She still has a ways to go. She's not a princess though and is willing to take some shots and wipeouts. SHe's watched me progress and sees that it's a pretty steep learning curve.

If you learn in a shallow water area where someone can keep an eye on her that would be the best. Jane taking her lesson down in Hatteras was probably the best. Waist warm deep water for miles is the best way to go.

It's a little more difficult finding info on kiteboarding destinations than I thought. That's why if I can talk to people that have been to some different places i'd feel more comfortable spending my dough to get there.

miller
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned last year in Melbourne, Aus.
The sport is huge there and the conditions were ideal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: