Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Surface 180

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad504

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Surface 180 Reply with quote

ok so I've just started wakeboarding and I've been out with my friends about 3 times. I am to the point where I can ride regular and goofy very well (edge across both wakes back and forth with ease both stances) but I failed on all 10 attempts on the surface 180. I would edge out to the right side of the boat while riding goofy (about 25mph) and then try to switch to my normal stance but I would fall back every time (it felt as there was no pull on the rope once I switched). Should I be attempting this at a slower speed or inside the wake instead, and should I lean in any direction or pull the rope when switching?
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Dubai

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad, The easiest way to start surface 180's is behind the boat, not outside the wake and you defo need to slow the boat right down, most people I know start doing this running at 17/18 - no where near 25.

Make sure you have a nice bend in your knees and they are soft, weight slightly on your heels. Have the handle low at your lead hip and slowly move it across to the other hip, this will automatically make you swing from one side to the other. Then simply repeat the process to go back to your start position.

As you get better at it then you can start to increase the boat speed gradually. The next easiest palce to practice this in just in the trough of the wake, then move to outside the wake.

hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing about these is try not to do them slow it should be like a quick flick while switching
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkster0001 wrote:
another thing about these is try not to do them slow it should be like a quick flick while switching

Hawster, once again stop talking utter crap! You should NEVER start doing 180's and swtiching at speed, you ALWAYS start SLOWLY. It should be a steady, slow, controlled motion - it's not done fast, that just leads to instability and you're more likely to catch an edge and hit the deck.

Please please do not give advice like this, it goes totally against how you should learn things.

You start slow then once you're used to it, then you gradually speed up.

slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkster0001 you're welcome to ride with us any time, i'm sure the number of hard crashes you take every set would be worth having you around

definitely start out slow between the wakes, get used to it a little, then work on them in the flats, then sliding the wake like you would be landing a hs 180, then ollie 1's, then inside the wake to outside, then outside in, then speed up on a short rope to make it easier to w2w 1's, then full length and full speed, will probably take you several sets

look i got all kind of funny looks by the other boats on the river because we were creeping at about 15-16 and i was just busting out surface 1's from reg to switch and back over and over for a whole weekend, next weekend it was just inside out 1's and then outside ins, the third weekend i was getting them w2w, couple of them asked me why i was riding so slow and when i explained it one of them said it took him a whole year to learn a 180 because he started out at full speed and length, now they just ask me what i'm working on when they see the boat going slow

AaronATX
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think hawkster's comment was totally wrong, while it's good to get the motion down slow, they definitely feel more stable when done faster. not at a faster speed, just a faster turn. but i guess that comes from doing them slowly first.

if anyone has any CT bindings in a 13/14 that they are getting rid of, i'll buy them
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry when you first start as with any trick you do htem slow, but when you finally have them donw they should be more of a quick move if your going from landing a reg heelside and going for switch heel side, but you dont want them to turn into a slide, sorry about that
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkster0001 wrote:
yeah sorry when you first start as with any trick you do htem slow, but when you finally have them donw they should be more of a quick move if your going from landing a reg heelside and going for switch heel side, but you dont want them to turn into a slide, sorry about that

That's where you learn how to ollie 180 - quick and done and dusted before you know it.

But it is cool when you get all the 180's down. My personal favourite is surfing up the wake 180 and back down it.

So many people neglect the surface tricks, but they look good and take a lot of prctice.

LopsidedMidget

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So many people neglect the surface tricks, but they look good and take a lot of prctice.

True that. I spent a whole year and a half neglecting them and couldn't figure out why I was progressing so slowly.. Learning surface tricks improves your control ten times over.
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LopsidedMidget wrote:
Quote:

True that. I spent a whole year and a half neglecting them and couldn't figure out why I was progressing so slowly.. Learning surface tricks improves your control ten times over.

Most definitely. Plus you know jumping, jumping, jumping can get a bit tedious at times. It's fun just to go through the surface goodies and see if maybe you can come up with something new.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: