Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Bayliner 175

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Criminal
Criminal

City: Regina

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Bayliner 175 Reply with quote

Hey everyone i was just wondering if anyone owns or has riding behind a Bayliner 175. I want to know how the wake is. Or if anyone knows about and boats under 20g's that throw a good wake. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man. I had a bayliner 1850 with tower and balast and all that stuff and it just wouldn't do the job. we recently sold it and we are buying an inboard wakeboard type boat. I would look at a used mid-late 90s inboard and put a tower and stuff on it. The wake was alright behind our bayliner but was just not tournament quality or the right shape.
hazza_35
Criminal
Criminal

City: kerang

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is an i/o use the trim and u will get a sick lip on ur wake, trust me it works with outboards so an i/o wont be different, and add some sacs in it and u will be in heaven

CHEERZ

RIDE ON BUDDY!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ricktrav
Criminal
Criminal

City: san diego

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched from a bayliner to a 88 ski nautique 2001, it was way under 20k i got it for 8,100 which is just a little belo average for th boat. I did alot of research and ski nautiques between 1982 and 1989 always rose to the top.
orzech
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Honeoye

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i got the same exact boat..... for 8500 what stuff did yours come with?

I got 1250 lbs of sacs a 1000pgh pump extended pylon w/ board racks a neo vest, wakeskate, and cleaners and safety gear.

MadDog
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Upstate NY

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it! I can't wait to get rid of my I/O. If you have $20k to spend, get a used inboard. The wakes on the I/o's can be made bigger with a lot of weight, but they are still pretty soft. You can do a lot with $20k and a used inboard.

MadDog's home page
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Adam
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont know guys i dont really want that old but does anyone know how much it cost to ship a boat from say florda to canada?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cutupiilu

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: bayliner Reply with quote

bayliner 175 has 3.0L 130HP
costs 16 600 here..

I consider it as an option fro upcoming season.. but I dunno anytihng about wake, stability etc Rolling Eyes
Ryan W
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Ontario,Canada

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exchange rate is gonna kill you when buying a boat from the States.
Adam
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i know but all the good boats seem to be in the states so i dont know what im going to do.
MobyRick
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Greer, SC

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1850 and that's what I learned with but if you are at all serious I don't think you could weight it down enough. I ended up buying my Moomba only a year after getting the Bayliner. Heres pics of both unweighted except for people in the boat. You decide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seven20
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzech and rick, great choices. we just bought an 87 2001. Great boat. As for the bayliner, we have a 1950 capri, and the wake is far from great. Even with 2 sacs and 6-8 people, it is meteokere. It has some size, but the shape isn't very good at all. The wake behind the nautique was better with no wake when we tested it. Get a used inboard.
Dan Lee

City: Scottsdale

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, having the v-8's weight and power is far better than having a 4 cylinder and trying to weigh it down, then making it sluggish. I learned behind an '82 Sea Ray 175 which did the trick, but it was painful. Two words- Moomba Outback.
trigx5

City: atlanta, ga

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: bayliner 185 Reply with quote

If you want a used inboard from the states, waterford michigan has one of the largest mastercraft dealerships in the world. Not sure what part of Canada your in, but Michigan is full of good boats. I would also advise against the bayliner
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: rowlet, tx.

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with dan go for the out back there a like 25,000 so a little over what ur wanting to spend but well worth it for the money, stay away from bayliners
Dan Lee

City: Scottsdale

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only saying "Outback" because I am a dealer, and it is a great boat that just about anyone can afford with "New Boat Interest Rates"
We could put people working at McDonalds into new inboards.

Adam
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya but thats 25000 US and the exchange rate will kill me
wake2wake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't count the I/O out of the game , it has lot to do with how you weight your boat!!! and if you have the power to weight it!! Even weight.
Here is a pic of my boat wake with out weight, just using the trim and, with 1300 pounds plus passengers It's much larger and lippy!!! But the right inboards do carry a sweet shape to them
peace
Ralph
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more to wakes than size & shape, firmness is some thing which is very difficult to achieve with an I/O. Having said that with a lot of trial and error you can get most i/o's to produce excellent softish wakes even if they have small motors. Prop pitch is critical to maintaining power with an I/O. Attached is a bayliner wake powered by a 3L 130hp motor, 2k of ballast + 4 peeps.
wake2wake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good word !!
i was going to say that but i figured i had blew enough smoke, I have found that if you drop from say a 19 to a 17p, (Or smaller then what you have) with a Min. of four bladed s.s. prop it will in fact produce a clean firm wake!! i'm looking in to bying a a high five stainless prop i've heard good things about the prop but never have had one to try!
they are not cheap either. you will be suprised at how good of a hole shot you get, and the best thing is it will allow you to give a steady pull!!!!! I've heard people say you'll over rap the motor, (That's why they put tachs in the boats) which is true if your running the boat wide open with no weight. but drop 1500# in her and a group of friends and you'll be ready to rock and roll!
not all I/O suck lol
peace
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto / Bala

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darren my man............good to hear from you and your bayliner. biggest i/o wake i've ever seen.....much bigger and better shape than a lot of inboards....

I have a searay 160 i/o.....250 upfront and 400 in the back....trim up and let her fly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to have to take some wake pictures next time I go out to try to dampen the anti-I/O predjudice.

I got a '99 Mariah 20-foot I/O w/ a V-8 and only 30 hours on it for around $15K. The unweighted wake on it is pretty similar to Ralph's above, bigger with a single fat sac. I think that's a pretty good value. I added a "mini-tower" that I got on Ebay for around $700. I also got the sack on Ebay with a pump for under $100. So that totals under $16K for an almost new modern boat with tower, ballast, tandem trailer, lots of storage, good rough water performance, >55 mph top speed, 10 person capacity, nice sundeck, etc.

Sure, I'd rather have a new (or used) Super Air, VLS, 23V, etc. but I think the price on a 3-4 year-old boat like that is probably double what my boat cost.
Ralph
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alter,

I haven't been posting much lately but I've still been around, I've been meaning to get some new photo's I do it next weekend if I remember the camera. The seasons been good here, another 3 months to go give or take. Going to X-air today yippie!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: