Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

I weigh 295 lbs. Is wakesurfing possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxarama

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: I weigh 295 lbs. Is wakesurfing possible? Reply with quote

Is there a board that will work for me. Nothing serious just getting up and doing a little carving will make me happy enough. My brother is 250 lbs also. Oh and forgot to mention I don't want to spend too much ($300 max but would prefer closer to the $200 range).

I've seen boards at the local shop like the

Liquid force Venture $199
CWB Ride $199
Grindwater Mauka $499

Would the CWB Ride suffice for just beginner type stuff for someone my size or am I out of luck.
oxarama

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Forgot to mention. Reply with quote

I'm 6'5" and 295 lbs. Let me know if anyone else this size has tried or know someone who has done it and with what boards.
lakewakes

City: lake sinclair

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the biggest board you can find USED , any thing that would work for your weight would cost 560 to 800 new. If you are limited on the funds then you might try a used surf board with a low rocker profile made for mushy type of waves. if you have the money then try TWP OR LAKEWAKES
oxarama

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: See what I can do. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

If I am just wake skimming (holding the rope - I think people were calling it that) will the 5'6" board work. What I mean by that is will it be a struggle for me to stay buoyant or will I be sinking to much and it won't be any fun at all.
lakewakes

City: lake sinclair

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what 5.6 you mean , if its the broadcast then i will say no , someone i spoke with tonight said they are 265 and has a hard time on the board. I think you will need a real surf style board made by a surfboard or wakesurf company , I did suggest some on the last thread
oxarama

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good thanks. I will keep your stuff in mind if I want to splurge and go for it. I would like to try it before I invest that much money in it. We'll see what happens. You only live once I might have to just go for it.
skye120
Criminal
Criminal

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man you should be good im about the same size and i do it. you can get a board for like 300 hyperlite makes one for like 279 and liquid force makes one for around the same price. you can get like a 5'9" but if you have the wieght in the boat you can run a 5' fine like i said im your same size and i have a phase 5 thats under 5ft and a 5ft liquid force that works fine you just got to weigh the boat down and practice practice practice.......here is a couple links for the boards i was talking about

http://www.activewake.com/liquid-force-venture-wakesurf-10.html

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/HY_vnH6E

oxarama

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. More in my price range. Appreciate the feedback.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy rides the Red Woody.. Little more pricey but he had a hard time on the Broadcast 5.6 but the Red Wood 5.6 works great for him. He is a big guy also.

Inland Surfer Red Woody

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
oldschoolboarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Mpls

PostPosted: May 10, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last year i got up to 250 and still rode boards that were 4'6" and 4'9", i did find that 4'2" was a bit too slow. Confused

A buddy of mine that is 320 rode my Butter Board (no longer manufactured) that is 5'6" with out the rope.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 10, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of boat/wake are you talking about? You're going to need something pretty beefy for sure. I'd look for the biggest board you can find. I'm 200lbs and had trouble on a moderate wake and a 5'6 HL landlock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: