Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

help... trucks..wheels...board..??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LizzardBoarder

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: help... trucks..wheels...board..?? Reply with quote

im gonna put together my own board. do any of you have any advice? i mean i have no clue what trucks wheels or deck to get. If it'll help im 5'9, 136 lbs... the only boards I've been ridin have been just completes from kmart and I wanted a good one. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
dubers
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Santa Cruz

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go to ccs.com. They have good prices on complete set up packages and alot of decks, wheels, and trucks always on sale
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got one from blankdecks.com for christmas. i got a cheap blank deck thats held up pretty well so far and then got nice trucks bearings etc. i really recomend the site it had a good selection and great prices.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is VERY subjective so don't take anything I say as gospel.

For decks, blanks are a good idea 'cuz they're cheap & generally ride just as well or better than big brand decks. The size of it & concave is gonna depend on what you wanna do. If you wanna do a lotta flip tricks then a thinner board with steep concave will be best. If you're looking to do ramps & big air then a wider board with little or no concave is ideal. And of course there's tons of choices in between.

Trucks also depend on the style of skating you're looking to do. Tensors are the lightest I've skated so they're good for flip tricks & also getting big air, but they're also not very durable. If you're looking to do lotsa grinds & whatnot then consider a more heavy duty truck like Independent & deal with the weight of it.

Wheels you can just pick up anything. Durometer or hardness is the only thing you should consider. The higher the number the harder the wheel (100 or 101 is the hardest). Most street skaters tend to get anywhere from 97-100 durometer while ramp & transition skaters often opt for 95-97. Again, up to you.

Bearings I will throw my personal opinion. Bones China Reds are gonna be the best bang for your buck. They're only like $15, they're easy to clean, & they roll fast for a good long time.

Height & weight don't play a factor in your equipment as much as the style of skating you wanna do & to a minor extent, your foot size. All the pros of today have ridden boards from 7-10 inches in width & done it well so there's no right or wrong, just what you're comfortable with.
LizzardBoarder

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I dunno what i'd do without yall. Just one more question, do you think I should buy some grip tape or anything else while I'm buying all this stuff? Confused
dubers
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Santa Cruz

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definetly want to buy griptape to put on, unless it's a package deal then it will come with grip
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone about going with a blank to start with. I'd buy it from a local shop if it is your first, just because that way you'll be able to stand on the decks and get a feel for what you'd most like to ride. Make sure the deck is not warped either, sometimes you might not notice it until you're out skating.
Trucks are also really pesonal preference, Independants are my favorite because they are durable, you can change the kingpin easily, and the are not as heavy as people say they are.
Wheels, I'd goi with something that is blank also, but as close to 53mm as possible. If you go too small you won't get a smooth ride and you'll wear them down faster. If you go too big, your board just feels clumsy unless you're skating a lot of big ramps. Those clear wheels that are popular may look really cool, but they don't wear down very well. Stick with whats been used since the beginning.
Bearings are a really important part of the skate, treat them right and you'll have them for a long time. Go with an ABEC 3 or 5, they spin fast and are the most durable and easy to maintain. Sure ABEC 7's sound great, but they break down faster and require regular maintenance. Be sure to take a QTip every so often and clean the grime off the surface of your bearings, and be sure to never tighten your wheels too much. Greasing your bearings isn't really nessesary if they are ABEC 3 or 5. But eventually if you want to NEVER EVER use WD40!!!!!! That should be like the 11th comandment. It is corosive to the bearing and will break it down faster. The best thing to do is use the same stuff they use on bike chains, and very small amounts.
Well, hope i helped some! Now go get a skate and have some fun!!!!!!
Zara
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Clarendon Hills

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccs is crap id say. go to www.SkateAmerica.com they have the biggest selection ever and great prices. thats where i bought my element Fiberlight and Bam destructos.

james.
Tantrumkid27

City: Commerce, Michigan

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a shortys deck. Any trucks are good, just get stilts. Get sum Zero Bearing thats all i've been using and they're fricken sweet. i got Shortys wheels too. just dont buy an off brand. Buy sumthing a lot of people have around you. Ask people to use their boards and if u like them you should buy something like theirs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: