Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Raley: cable vs boat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imondi

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Raley: cable vs boat Reply with quote

So I have been riding cable for a while now and I can load the line and do backrolls and raleys consistantly. I recently moved to San Diego and I am pretty new behind the boat. How much harder is the raley behind the boat? I want to try it, but everybody talks about it like it is much harder behind the boat and the consequences are alot more serious.
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to a cable park so I don't know the difference but from what I can see just in video I wouldn't be trying to do raleys right off the bat. There will definitely be a learning curve to hitting the wake properly and the different wake approaches that will help initiate these tricks too.
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its harder once you get a high W2W down... I just think the approach is more inportant behind a boat!!! The crashes are as hard as behind a cable, water is water, and speed is speed...

And just between me and you, we both know the boatboarders are pussys Laughing

Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Medina. What about those of us who don't live within 100 miles of any cable parks? Hell, there's not even real lakes around my area, I have to drive at least 45 minutes and it's all just slews and irrigation:P

I would LOVE to get on a cable park though but I think riders on both sides deserve props...
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enygma wrote:
lol Medina. What about those of us who don't live within 100 miles of any cable parks? Hell, there's not even real lakes around my area, I have to drive at least 45 minutes and it's all just slews and irrigation:P

I would LOVE to get on a cable park though but I think riders on both sides deserve props...

True, I am just kidding since you all guys are annoying me with your boat is better talk Laughing Laughing

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha to tell you the truth, as long as I am on my board, I dont care what is pulling me through the water!

I went out last night and tried the backroll a few times. It is definitely a little different. I am gonna go a few more times before I throw the raley! It is different having to release right on the wake, where on cable you just release when you have built enough tension!

I miss my cable parks, but San Diego has an awesome wakeboard club that goes out 3 times a week on Mission Bay! It is cheaper than cable parks too!
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medina wrote:
Enygma wrote:

True, I am just kidding since you all guys are annoying me with your boat is better talk Laughing Laughing
Boats may be great but what can you do on the boat that you can't do in a cable park? I can't think of too much...While I can think of a few things a cable park could do that no boat will ever do. Not to mention to get into a decent boat is going to be at least 10grand plus maintinence and other additional costs. they both have their pros and cons.
brichter14
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how pro riders ride mostly behind boats, there is just something pleasing about chillin ona boat.
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Sbend2blind is pretty impossible behind a boat.
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started riding cable a bunch since we got a park now in Ohio. I had a raley behind the boat first so it was pretty easy to transition on to the cable. Have you done any raleys at the cable park off of a kicker instead of using line tension? That is basically the same exact way you do a raley on the boat using the wake in my opinion.

Like everyone else said definitely get working on the basics of riding behind boat (wake to wake heelside and toeside, 180s, riding switch), and once you get those I guarantee you can take the raley to the boat. Just use a really hard but progressive edge and you will have plenty of time to bring the raley back down just like you do on the cable.
leviwynnyk
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Sylvan Lake

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hav never ridden cable but having been ridigng boat for about 5 years (I'm 33). This past week I landed my first raley behind the boat. To land my first one I tried 2 abou a week ago out of the blue. I came kind close on the first but got WORKED on the second. Then the last time we were out I brought the wakeskate. Did 2 off the wakeskate with perfect landings. Threw the board on and got worked again. Tried a second time and bam, I landed it. It's an awesome feeling flying across the wake. When I got home and watched the video it was obvious it wasn't the Shaun Murray Raley it felt like.

In the end the hardest part of the trick was getting over the fear of knowing you have to take some hard spills. I think that the skate helped a lot. I mean if you can't do i off the skate, it will hurt on a board.... hurt a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: