Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Y Connector with 3-Way Switch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sprfrkr

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Y Connector with 3-Way Switch? Reply with quote

I have a single inlet and line as my water source with a Y connector going to two reversible Jabsco puppys that go to the front and rear ballast bags respectively. The system works ok, but I think I am getting pickup issues and possible siphoning from having both pumps on Y connector.

I am curious to see if anyone has seen a 3/4" OD Y connector with a switch to select one or the other or both sides as output so I can select and fill them separately. I would be looking for something like you see on garden hose Y connectors that let you select both, one, or none.

Thanks!

Shannon
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure you mean OD? OD is kind of meaningless to you isn't it? They sell pvc shut off valves you could wire in if you're using pvc, otherwise you literally could use one of the garden hose things you're talking about.

I however am very sketpical that you're getting siphoning issues (I'm assuming you mean you think you're stealing water from one bag to fill the other). If you have a reversible pump in the way it's very unlikely you're getting water from that bag.

By pickup issues what do you mean? Are you saying they fill when you drive? Is the through hull a scoop style through-hull or is it a straight strainer style?

sprfrkr

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is siphoning now that I upgraded the propeller to the green one. I think the yellow ones were actually draining water out of the bags through the pump as well. I didn't see that issue last weekend.

I am using a thru hull straight strainer style pickup and see that the pumps seems to be straining to get water and don't fill the bags as quickly or as much as the one pump on its own with its dedicated line. I've tried running them both at the same time, and each individually. The front bags often don't fill much at all. I fill the bags at the dock or at no wake speed.

TIA
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have no idea what you're talking about with the yellow/green propeller. However if your current problem is only speed to fill there are a couple things. For me since I used cheap DC switches with no relays I've noticed that power is a problem for my pumps. Basically if I run one, it sounds like it's rotating pretty fast. If I start running another one, they both run but the pumps slow down a fair amount.

Another thing you want to make sure of is that you have a big enough opening for your pumps. Measure the ID inlet of each pump. Halve that to get the radius and then calculate the water "area" the pump needs for inlet. (PI*R^2). That's the amount of area EACH of your pumps need.

Since you have 2 pumps, double that area. So lets say your area for 1 pump was 5. For both pumps it would be 10. Now solve for R to get the radius that your through hull should be to be able to support 2 pumps.

PI*R^2=10
R^2=10/PI
R= SQRT(10/PI)

Then double that R to get the ID that your through hull must be (and all pipes leading up to your Y connector). If you REALLY want to make sure you aren't starving your pumps, that's the way to do it.

sprfrkr

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the input. The yellow vs green impeller is related to the jabsco puppy impeller. The stock one is yellow and wakemakers sells an "upgrade" version which is green. I couldn't visibly tell the difference between the two, so who knows if it even works.
sprfrkr

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this would work with the proper adapters from westmarine:
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/raindrip-y-connector-with-dual-shutoff-p-63918.html?ref=42

I guess I'd just have to ensure it gets sealed properly.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: