Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

06-07 X2 or 2010A22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waverider83

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: 06-07 X2 or 2010A22 Reply with quote

These are the two boats I'll be looking at when I get back from deployment. They are both in my low $40k price range. It would be awesome to own a brand new boat, but the quality in MasteCraft is hard to beat. The only big difference of course is the 2 feet more of boat you get with the Axis. So basically want to hear everyone’s thoughts on which one they would get.

image (2).jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  77.03 KB
 Viewed:  10548 Time(s)

Axis_A22-600x450.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  28.36 KB
 Viewed:  10548 Time(s)

slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go with the Axis but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axis
bigger, newer, more rare on the water.

Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X2 is a sick boat, you cant beat the clamping board racks on mastercraft. I would try to ride both and see which you like riding/driving better. Thanks for serving and stay safe.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden both. It's about wake preference and interior room needs. The a22 wake with the plug n play ballast is humongous and has a great shape. Also, the a22 has tons more interior room. The x2 wake is nice as well but the boat is really pretty small.

For me, because I routinely have 5 or more people on my boat I would not buy an x2.
That's not to say that an x2 isn't an awesome boat for the right buyer though.

Demo both and make sure you ride the a22 with the plug n play ballast and wedge down
hco
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Danbury

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So make sure you demo an X2 that has additional weigt besides the factory, X2 wake stock sucks, just like all other stock MC wakes (exception being the new CSX/X25 hull)
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When shopping for a boat, we looked at X-2's, and decided the interior was pretty cramped (like others have mentioned). You mentioned that quality is a factor in your decision making process. While they certainly don't have the fancy add ons / billet etc that some of the other more expensive boats do, I was very impressed by how well they are built. We decided to go with the A22 as it met our needs and seemed well but together (so I may be a bit biased).

They are both serious wake machines (though you'd probably want to add aftermarket ballast to the X2 or plug and play to the A22).
Ralph
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been a fan of the X-2 wake too wide for its size IMO, haven't had the pleasure of the A22.
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ridden either, but just out of the idea of having more space and being able get one new - since others have said the wake is good, i'd take the axis. I personally have never seen the axis wake so I can't say anything for sure. Perhaps ask people on the forum that own each of the boats to take pics of the wake with it loaded down and ask them to tell you how much ballast is in it.

For me interior size and wake is about all that matters. Almost all boats out there are going to have little pluses and little minuses. Emphasis on the word 'little'.

Out of curiosity, wth does "plug n play" ballast mean? Purevert system?

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeboarder3780, the "plug n play" system lets you add another 1275lbs in ballast bags to the stock 900lbs using plumbing that is already installed in the boat. Basically, connect three sacks to the existing hoses, and you fill them up using the switches on the dash.

The following video talks a bit about it starting at around 2:18.

Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I did some research on axis boats today, and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. If they remain at the pricepoint they're at now, I'm buying one in 5 years Wink

jjaszkow, thanks for the info. Really cool idea.

holdsworth
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think resale value on the X2 will be much greater, to be honest. My buddy just picked up an A22 a couple weeks ago and it's an ok boat...feels "chinsy" to me like it's about to fall apart everywhere. I would personally go with the X2, but the plug and play on the A22 is a nice feature and has a lot more room on the inside from the way it's designed.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol your the first person ive even seen say that on any forum.
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would think resale value on the X2 will be much greater, to be honest. My buddy just picked up an A22 a couple weeks ago and it's an ok boat...feels "chinsy" to me like it's about to fall apart everywhere.

I find this comment funny. No, the A22 does not have all the bells and whistles the 75k-100k ultra high end boats have. There's no navigation. There's less stainless steel, less billet aluminum, etc. The fit and finish is a bit different but it's still nicer than 99% of the boats on the water. Yes, because MC tends to put billet aluminum trinkets all over their boats, the X2 will have all sorts of nice bling components all over it. The X2 will appeal to the crowd of boat buyers that want a really showy boat and who are willing to pay for that. Bells and whistles are nice - no doubt about it - but all the small extras add up quick.

The A22 may not have all of the little detail features and options that some of the ultra high end boats have, but by no means did the A22 feel chinsy or cheap to me. The A22 simply does not feel like it's going to fall apart. That's a rediculous statement. In fact, it felt alot more solid than my old x1 felt. The A22 tower is definitely sturdier than the FCT1 I had on my old '08 230.

We had an A22 out a few weeks back and hit tons of double ups, big yacht waves, chop, all with fully loaded ballast, people weight, etc. I never heard a squeek, groan, rattle, etc. I don't own an A22, so my experience is limited to riding on a few that my friends have had. The A22 will not have as much bling as an X2, but wake for wake, and for pure value and size, I'd take a new A22 over a three year old X2 any day of the week.

An A22 may depreciate some over time, but I personally see them holding their value just as well as any other wakeboat. Hell, Axis was oversold by 50 boats in 2010. The demand for that boat is there.
SilverMustang35
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Johnson City

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw A22 but im pretty partial haha. We love our A22 and have no complaints at all. We have 54 hours on ours and we started riding end of March. The wake is very awesome and with the plug and play it is just clean and firm. It handles the waves from other boats and rollers no problem.
The surf wake is even great with no persons, just factory weight. We ride with wedge down and at about 11.2 with front filled and LR and pnp LR and it creates a really good wake. It may not have the heated seat or all the bling, but we get lookers all the time wanting to check our boat out and everybody always asks about it and wants more specifics. We pulled into a marina for gas this weekend and other people were getting off a pontoon and just gathered around it. The axis looks great in the water and handles really good.
The Axis is in that niche market since its still new, but that means I dont look like everybody else out there and I love that. We were on Norris and met up with another owner out there. We are boat #153 and they were 177....you just dont see those small numbers (granted axis is still new in production) but they arent sparing anything with quality and build them very well. The vinyl is the same thickness as the malibus and the rub rail was even designed to swap out so if it gets scuffed or scrathced you can swap it out without removing half of the boat.
The tower holds our Pro80s great and the towers were even pre-wired from the factory. The Bimini is huge and the Z5 looks good as well. We have never been disappointed in our purchase and continue to be happy with it.
Also with the pickle fork front, it is huge and we have yet to take water over the front. You can comfortably fit 4 people up front and there is vinyl wrapped everywhere so you dont have to sit just front facing. The stadium seating with the back seat also lets everybody get a good view to watch the rider.

OperationROL
Criminal
Criminal

City: Rockford

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A22. My neighbor just got one a month ago and we have all abandoned our own boats. That boat is so nice. It has everything that the more expensive MCs do, except a bunch of billet aluminum, which is nice but not necessary. The A22 has so much room and produces just as good of a wake as the MCs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: