Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Formula 1 coming to Austin!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
it's going to be a shltshow all the way around. no parking on site, so everyone HAS to go by shuttle on that tiny ass road.

Just happened to look at this thread again today and saw this. I'm hearing there is quite a mess with how this might need to be handled regarding the buses and other traffic, specifically regarding the toll road.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup. debating on how much effort to put into trying to weasel free tickets. free is free, but it just sounds like a LOT of effort to get out there and back.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway to park near there and bicycle in?
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT, I would do it anyway what is an extra 2 hrs out of your life to be at the first F1 race in Austin. Worst case scenario you drink beer longer waiting for the bus.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Anyway to park near there and bicycle in?

pretty sure the answer is no - the road going in is a [barely] two lane w/ no shoulder. as packed as it will be, that sounds like a death trap.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken. Arrow Arrow
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

best info is going to be found in the shaggy thread. mandingo is very close to the whole project and has been on top of this since the very beginning.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/64321-Austin-TX-F1-USGP-!-!/page45
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm heading out to practice on friday at the very least. maybe a 25% chance a chick i'm going out w/ friday night falls in love and takes me as her +1 on sunday. *fingers crossed*
mbuck
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance any austin people would have any ticket hook ups for practice or qualifying tickets?

jt09, any recommendations while there? Non-Ferrari designations only.

mbuck
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind, just saw on bevo I can get them on craigs for $10
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2 for <$34 from ticketcity.com. headed over to pick them up at lunch.

On my phone, so posting is a bitch. What kinds of reca are you looking for? Where are you staying? What do you already have on your agenda?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very kick ass day yesterday - can't imagine how killer sunday is going to be. i'm making sure i buy great seats next year. you can tell the track was barely finished as nothing around the track is polished up - the landscaping, specifically. but you can also tell it's going to be an absolute gem by next year.

turns 12-15: http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt326/jt09_photos2/Austin%20F1/?action=view&current=IMG_0538.mp4

coming out of turn 15: http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt326/jt09_photos2/Austin%20F1/?action=view&current=IMG_0539.mp4

turn 2: http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt326/jt09_photos2/Austin%20F1/?action=view&current=IMG_0541.mp4
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

track is getting great reviews from the drivers and teams:

McLaren
Martin Whitmarsh, team principal
"It's easy to turn up at a new grand prix facility and almost take it for granted; I don't think anybody in the F1 paddock did that here. Make no mistake: this is a world-class facility - built from nothing - and I'm sure it will quickly earn a reputation for being one of the greatest racetracks in the world. The scale of achievement - on both a human level and an engineering level - is truly astonishing. The high-speed esses in the first sector are a real test for both man and machine, whilst the excellent facilities - for teams and spectators alike - make it feel like a very 'human' place.

"Most of all, the people who have visited here in their thousands this weekend deserve our recognition and respect. We've been made to feel very welcome in this beautiful city ever since we started arriving earlier in the week, and it's very heartening to see a community so strongly supporting the success of their event. Overall, the return of Formula 1 to the United States is a massively positive step - and, after an encouraging first day of practice, let's hope we can put on a show that will make everyone proud."

Lewis Hamilton FP1: 2nd, FP2: 4th
"What a great turn-out for a Friday! I never expected to see so many people in the grandstands - it makes me feel even more excited for Saturday and Sunday. This is a great drivers' track - it's very tough to pull together three perfect sectors. Personally, I find the final two sectors easier than the first; those high-speed changes of direction need a good set-up, and balancing that requirement against the demands of the slow-speed stuff is tricky. Turn One probably looks more exciting from the outside than it does from inside the cockpit - it's certainly not easy, though. You can get oversteer, or lock up, and it's tricky to get a perfect line through there. Overall, we've had a good day. Our main difficulty this morning was switching on the tyres in the cooler conditions. But we'll make some changes overnight - there are definitely some improvements we can make."

Jenson Button FP1: 4th, FP2: 5th
"The circuit was very slippery this morning - as all new track surfaces are, particularly as it was also very cold. But this afternoon's warmer temperatures meant we could get a better feel for the circuit in FP2. Turn One to Turn Nine is a brilliant and free-flowing section - particularly if the car is working well. Turn One is a strange corner though - with a very wide entry rather like Turn Three in India. Turn Three here - the start of the esses - is fantastic though. It's quicker than Becketts at Silverstone. It's very unsuual to find a section of corners like this on a modern Formula 1 track. I love it. Nevertheless, I don't think overtaking is going to be easy here, because it'll be so tricky to stay close to the car in front of you. But the circuit is great fun to drive, and I hope we can put on a great race."

HRT
Pedro de la Rosa FP1: 23rd, FP2: 23rd
"This is a beautiful and technical circuit. There are all sorts of corners and you have to drive with confidence, as there are quite a few blind turns. The asphalt is brand new and the car slides a lot but it improved immensely throughout the day. Our main issue is that we struggle to get the tyres up to temperature, which doesn't make driving easy. However, the cars' basic set up is good and we only need to cover as many kilometres as possible to improve on that tomorrow".

Narain KarthikeyanFP2: 24th
"The circuit is quite nice. It has a lot of fast corners, like the first S's, and it is very technical and demanding. It is not easy to learn but I did my best with the limited number of laps we had. Grip level was quite low over the first laps and I couldn't manage to keep the tyres' temperature high enough, which made driving quite challenging. But, as laps went by, it got better and going out with options also helped. We still have a lot to improve but I'm confident for tomorrow".

Mercedes
Nico Rosberg FP1: 9th, FP2: 7th
"I like the new track here at the Circuit of the Americas very much and they have done a great job with the layout. We've also had a really nice welcome for Formula One in the US as you can see how many fans are at the circuit already on a Friday. The grandstands looked really packed. We had a good start to our programme today, and the car felt better than at the last race. The conditions were tricky, particularly this morning, as it was very cold which meant that the tyres were really on the edge."

Michael Schumacher FP1: 17th, FP2: 10th
"I have to say it is nice being back in the US, and I hope that the fans appreciate Formula One being back too. The circuit will certainly help to showcase how attractive our sport can be. It has a very nice layout, and the good thing is that it is very challenging. Yesterday I went out to explore the track on a scooter, and it was very different from today when the low seating position of our cars compromises your vision a lot. But then, it takes just a bit of time to understand what you have to do and where the biggest challenges are. The track is still very green, especially offline, but it delivers lots of potential for a good show. As for our programme today, we had some tyre issues in the second session with a puncture which affected our plan a little. However, I will just try to do my best tomorrow and in the race on Sunday."

Ross Brawn, team principal
"We've had a very useful first day here in Austin and have enjoyed discovering the intricacies of the Circuit of the Americas. The track has changed a lot over the course of the day. The cold ambient temperatures this morning combined with the fairly conservative tyres meant that it took a little while to get temperature into the tyres. This should improve throughout the weekend. The circuit has a very exciting track layout which is a challenge for the drivers and engineers, and should create some great racing opportunities. All credit to the organisers for their hard work, and I am sure that the United States Grand Prix will be a fantastic addition to the Formula One calendar."

Norbert Haug, Mercedes head of motorsport
"This race is certainly a milestone in the history of Formula One and, first of all, we have to congratulate the organisers and Bernie for getting this event and the United States Grand Prix on the calendar and for building such a unique race track. This challenging circuit has the potential to become one of the best race tracks in the world. Our programme today went as we had planned and, whilst our lap times looked consistent during our long runs at the end of the second session, we do not think that our competitiveness is different compared to the last races. Having said that, we still have room for improvement which we will try to use tomorrow."
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been posting up at turn 11. Great views all around the track. They just need to plant sod all the way around for the future. The fanvision's are the way to go to keep up with all the action if you're actually into racing, the BBC announcers are a lot better than the American's that they broadcast over the loudspeakers.

Traffic hasn't been anything too crazy. Stopped by Smitty's in Lockhart (some call it the BBQ capital of Texas) on the way home yesterday, God I miss Texas BBQ.

Here are some of Red Bull's pictures from what looks like Friday's practice sessions

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsports/f1/stories/1331578927658/the-action-begins-in-austin
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very stoked about this. About 2 yrs left in the Army before I'm once again a Texas resident (somewhere in the Hou/SA/Austin triangle). Hopefully will be a frequent visitor to this track. The folks out here in Tennessee are even talking about F1 in Texas.

I also heard that A&M and Baylor beat BCS #1s on consecutive weeks...oh, sorry. Wrong thread. Very Happy Very Happy

tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

image.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  43.53 KB
 Viewed:  40180 Time(s)

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whole event couldn't have gone any better for austin and the future of the race here. chamber of commerce weather all weekend long. they handled the traffic constraints very, very well. the track itself was spectacular, by all accounts (who was the assclown bagging on it earlier in this thread?). the race was fantastic, w/ more passing than expected, and great storylines in hamilton winning (he won the last usgp), vettel coming in 2nd (his 1st f1 race was the last usgp) and the drivers championship still open going to brazil. can't wait for next year!
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
whole event couldn't have gone any better for austin and the future of the race here. chamber of commerce weather all weekend long. they handled the traffic constraints very, very well. the track itself was spectacular, by all accounts (who was the assclown bagging on it earlier in this thread?). the race was fantastic, w/ more passing than expected, and great storylines in hamilton winning (he won the last usgp), vettel coming in 2nd (his 1st f1 race was the last usgp) and the drivers championship still open going to brazil. can't wait for next year!

This x10

I've never been to an event this big handled this well in terms of logistics. Ill be back for sure. Great race too.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more praise:

from hamilton:
Quote:
There are a couple of Grands Prix that are somehow out on their own: there’s Monaco, Silverstone, Montreal, Spa and Monza. Now you can this circuit to that list - it’s already one of the best racetracks in the world, maybe even right up there in the top three.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/11/14078.html

from autoweek editor marc morrison (who has been crapping on the austin usgp from day 1)
Quote:
Bounce to this weekend. On Thursday, I drove into the Circuit of the Americas for the first time and stood at the bottom of the uphill-climbing turn one, staring wide-eyed for five minutes at this magnificent 3.4-mile circuit—designed, by the way, by Hellmund and motorcycle racing legend Kevin Schwantz, and not by Hermann Tilke as some propaganda would have you believe. Sure, Tilke's company engineered it, but the layout is Hellmund's and Schwantz's all the way. Unlike many road courses, it features excellent sightlines and multiple, very nice viewing areas. As a complete facility, it stands absolutely unrivaled by any racing venue on this continent. Period.

More than 65,000 people showed up on Friday for F1 practice, more than 82,000 on Saturday for qualifying, and track officials reported race-day attendance at 117,429 for a three-day total of 265,499.

Yes, yes, but year one was always going to be easy, we had all said. Years two, three and four would be the acid test. Will they come back?

If any reasonably large number of people who came here Sunday answers “no,” then F1 is indeed forever doomed in this country. What more, really, could it do? COTA's inaugural Grand Prix was mesmerizing compared to many of the events on the F1 calendar. The layout allowed for more passes throughout the field than I could count—including a fantastic one for the lead after Lewis Hamilton stalked championship leader Sebastian Vettel for lap after lap, trading fastest times left and right during a tense battle—and remarkably clean racing even in the most unforgiving and close-as-possible (without crashing) wheel-to-wheel moments. Even the hardened F1 press corp let out a collective “oohhhh” and “ahhhh” as F1's stars put on what was probably their best show of the season. I write these words an hour after Hamilton raised the winner's trophy on the podium, and I am still a bit confused. We knew the track held promise for a nice race, but not that nice.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121118/F1/121119829
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i regret not going down for the race. also, i regret that it was webber who blew up instead of vettel. Laughing i'm planning on going down next year for sure. it looks like everything went off well. was the traffic as bad as they thought it would be?
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hesitant to go because of all the traffic concerns. But, traffic wasn't a problem at all. Got in and out Saturday and Sunday with no trouble whatsoever. But, we did leave as soon as the race was over to beat the crowd a bit.

Awesome event and weekend. Absolutely worth going.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hesitant to go because of all the traffic concerns. But, traffic wasn't a problem at all. Got in and out Saturday and Sunday with no trouble whatsoever. But, we did leave as soon as the race was over to beat the crowd a bit.

Awesome event and weekend. Absolutely worth going.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was so nice he posted twice!

had any of you guys been to f1 at indy? how did it compare?
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23, I haven't been to Indy for F1 (but have been to Indy), but my uncle flew down for this race and has been to multiple F1 Races there (last of which was 2003) as well as several other races around the country

His thoughts were this is one of the best tracks he's ever seen. Pretty much echoed all the sentiments that JT posted above. Great views, all around the track and the facilities were top notch. This event was also better attended than some of the F1 races he's been to at Indy (F-1 is very popular in Mexico, so there were a ton of Mexican fans who came up for this race).

I don't have the numbers though so he may be wrong on attendance, Indy has like 260,000 seats, so if it's half full it it still would have more than what attended the COTA on Sunday (I read somewhere 117,000, which is still great for a F-1 race attendance-wise.)

He likes going to Indy for the 500 and other races, but dislikes the part of town it's in.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed up for this about 2 months ago and got waitlisted, so i had no thought that i'd get in, but weds morning i got an email saying i was in and confirmed. totally awesome experience - and FREE!!!

cadillac v-series racing experience at the circuit of the americas f1 track.

tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^is this another Gulfstream joke? Holy crap.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i peed in lewis hamilton's toilet.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure that was a blast.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much back and forth, and a lot of pissed off people, (http://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAmericas?fref=ts), CoTA is allowing our HPDE to run the track. Probably only going to happen once. But, it will be AWESOME!!!!

Visions of Ricky Bobby driving the Nascar for the first time are popping in my head.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to htownbdr inviting me, i got a chance to head out there today and watch them run.

fastest car out there today

lotta vettes out there today. this guy (113) was the 3rd fastest i saw, behind that ferrari and a zr1 vette.

bunch of 911s too

best paint job out there today

gtr

lotus exige

mclaren

lambo

nsx

r8

garage shots

staging

Last edited by jt09 on Jan 12, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take #33 & #44 please.....WOW... Shocked
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seven.seven.seven.

yes please...

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Blue22V
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Double Oak

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That event sold out in one day. I was able to get on the waiting list for the second day, with no chance of getting in. JT then shows Steve Hill's car in the 1st photo. Steve is a very fast driver and was rookie of the year in the Ferrari Challenge series a couple of years ago. I saw him at our track just before Christmas, and he had just picked up new hubs for his car. He hasn't driven the Ferrari in almost a year due to a slow down in parts by Ferrari during re-tooling for their factory. I am regretting not getting on line and registering the day this opened up. The photos look great, and the facebook posts sound like the event was a blast.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. i'll take 191.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT - did you drive Htownbrdr's porsche?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Add To Favorites

Jump to: