Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

1st back flip "TRY"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: eugene

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: 1st back flip "TRY" Reply with quote

Good News I got back up and tryrd it again. What happend?

w1.jpg

Description:
1 to slow. Bent knee's
 Filesize:  44.77 KB
 Viewed:  30594 Time(s)

w2.jpg

Description:
2 droped rope for 1st try. to get the feel of it.
 Filesize:  43.89 KB

w3.jpg

Description:
3 water is really close
 Filesize:  44.12 KB

w4.jpg

Description:
4 who turned off the lights?
 Filesize:  47.57 KB

w5.jpg

Description:
5 I dont think this is how it should end
 Filesize:  47.15 KB

b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Salem-ish

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were you riding for these pictures? Are these pretty recent, if so how the heck are you not wearing a wetsuit?

You need to look up tantrums, what they are and how to do them. You're letting go of the rope before you even attempt the trick, partly because you probably just decided to try a flip for fun and partly because the direction you're trying to take the flip would be impossible while holding onto the handle.

A tantrum is a backflip on a wakeboard, and if you analyze them compared to what you're trying to do here I think it will help you understand what you need to work towards.
Red57Bird
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you out with any tricks, unless you are interested in learning the classic "Faceplant" or the painful "Concussion", but I have to say that the 4th pic down is my favorite.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mucksoup, I posted this in the Trampoline thread but here you go. There is no such thing as a "back flip" on a wakeboard.

For learning inverts, check out the trick tips section of this website. You can't just throw a front-flip or a back-flip like you can on a trampoline, partly because of where the rope sits. The easiest inverts to learn are the backroll and tantrum. The backroll is more of a cartwheel motion than a flip. The tantrum is the closest to a backflip but you have to use a trip-flip approach to the wake, basically turning 90 degrees before you do the backflip.

Looking at the trick-tips and how these moves are executed on a wakeboard will be more helpful than the trampoline if you already have good upside-down awareness.

STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah what your trying to do...isnt even a trick. or possible probly.
look up backroll and tantrum. pic one and work on it.

also play with front to rear weight and trim to get rid of that white wash.

funny pics Very Happy

a few other tips.
*with that wake size and inverts please be careful. head injuries are no joke
*pic #1 your eyes are staring at the wake, its like riding a motorcycle, your body follows where your eyes go, look at the second wake or the shore line. youd be suprised how much this will help with pop and landing biger jumps.
*pic #1 again. your knees look very close together. this isnt good for stability or pop, or landing. whats your height and binding spacing measured at the heels?
*pic #4 awesome!
* what board is that?

Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was from last year. but I have been riding all month w/out a wet suit. this is fern "ditch" ridge oregon the board is a hyperlight state 135. And I dont got any fat sacks yet. The boat is a bayliner 2006 Xt (seen in the share your boat forum).
b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Oregon, that's why I asked where you were riding and how the heck you're doing it without a wetsuit. You must be taking 3 shots of whiskey or something before each set.

What are the water temperatures at Fernridge? I remember going there years ago in July-ish and it still being really cold.
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58-60 ish. I surf on the oregon coast so I can take the cold water. eveyone eles on the lake was wearing suits though.....Cant get a good tan w/ all that rubberon yea... what part of OREGON are you from? were do you ride?

w1.jpg

Description:
w2w
 Filesize:  48.5 KB
 Viewed:  30415 Time(s)

b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in/from the Salem area. Usually ride at Green Peter, but hit a couple other spots here and there.

I will be keeping my neoprene on until at least July I'm sure haha.
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everytime I go to green peter its all winded out. We ride up there every once and a blue moon. But I do ride cotage grove some.
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd try front roll

w2.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  42.89 KB
 Viewed:  30373 Time(s)

Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 22, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to do a front flip, not a front roll. See how you're bent at the waist and looking down? I'm guess if there were a pic between 2 and 3 it would have your board way back behind you. From what I see try to think of the rolls as more of a cart wheel. move parallel to the boat with your spin.

Even if you would have managed to hold onto the rope all the way through(which would have been near impossible or required some huge strength, your board would have come down on top of the rope which would have ripped it from your hands anyways.

Also the rolls are 2 handed tricks, you shouldn't be dropping your back hand unless you're going into a tantrum(which could be considered the back flip of wakeboarding).

b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 23, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents live right outside of Cottage Grove actually, I've been to Dorena probably a dozen times or so and CG lake like 3 times maybe. Not really a fan of either. Most lakes that are wide open like that are just wind blown all day unless you're running around the dam and nowhere else. Green Peter is nice because it's got lots of arms and coves where you can find smooth water most any time of the day.

I'm not really sure of other places to ride around that area though, I think Dragon probably knows the area a lot better.

While our boat is still in Cottage Grove you should come grab a ride behind it. Would definitely be a different experience from your boat.
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 23, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps i ment to say foster lake. C.G.s like you said wind blown and small. And now this year C.G. & Dorena are dry lake's. Yep DRY LAKE. NO BOOZING. So Im boy coting those lake this year.But I may make an exception to ride on your boat. That would be sweet to ride on a boat w/ wakebaorders better then me, and good boat drivers. Out of my friends im the "best" wakeboarder. So I dont get plushed alot. And Im the full time driver except when I wake board, and have the wife pull me. so That would be really cool. Just let me know when your going out on the lake.
do you guy wake surf?

I'll bring the beer. We can chug it on the boat ramp b4 we lanch..........

w1.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  32.9 KB
 Viewed:  30195 Time(s)

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 23, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mucksoup, DOOD, look up the trick tips section of this website. Start attempting actual tricks instead of things that aren't possible. There's no such thing as a heelside front roll.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b33nine wrote:
You must be taking 3 shots of whiskey or something before each set.

Why? Is that bad?

b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christobull wrote:
b33nine wrote:
You must be taking 3 shots of whiskey or something before each set.

Why? Is that bad?

Probably for you since it's not enough to even dent your system with your epic alcohol tolerance... Laughing
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
mucksoup, DOOD, look up the trick tips section of this website. Start attempting actual tricks instead of things that aren't possible. There's no such thing as a heelside front roll.

Actually there is, on the kicker.

Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Pompano Beach

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medina wrote:
Wakebrad wrote:

Actually there is, on the kicker.

HAHA Mexican frontroll "frontflip" off the kicker. thats going to be my first invert by next week. i can do a frontflip on a trampoline with the handle in my hand, so if you could give me tips about doin this on the kicker, private msg me please. Very Happy
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant do stuff on the trampoline, and the only thing i can do on the kicker is a tantrum or 540...

What is a good next trick for trampoline???

Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Pompano Beach

PostPosted: May 30, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the tramp is all so easy. I can whirlybird 7 with the handle in my hand I can frontflip 360, frontroll and backflip 180s.. Go try some of those you havnt learnt. If you put your board on on the trampoline it will help you judge flip rotations and stuff.
sparkysparks9
Criminal
Criminal

City: North Bend

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="b33nine"]I'm in Oregon, that's why I asked where you were riding and how the heck you're doing it without a wetsuit. You must be taking 3 shots of whiskey or something before each set.

That made me laugh hysterically!! I live in coos bay and decided to try riding early june...yeah...got a shorty wetsuit....a couple rides too late..lol
Imminent Fate

City: Johannesburg

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree trampoline is easy. My friend bryan is a national rider down here in South Africa but has been out of the scene for about a year
due to an ACL knee injury so he's been giving pointers to me.

I'll tell u straight I was seriously useless at trampolines and really scared about falling off or faceplanting etc. But like bryan said you got to want it, there's no progressive start just throw the trick.

Anyway as to the frontroll (specifically toeside), the trick is to come in with a slow turn then hit a hard edge. Then once you have popped throw your face into the wake - not towards the boat but directly across it. and the bend for absorption. Also load the line with your back hand ( the hand that is closer to your body). Personally I just went for a scarecrow, thats a front roll with a 180. that wayi land and contine heelside in switch but go with the flow.

Keep your head up and don't tuck too much into it, it's more of a throw type of trick - go upwards not just forwards.

Medina, do not put your board on and try tampoline - thats plain stupid. You'll get seriously injured or hurt - you'd be better off with a a skate deck and duck tape or one of those new foam boards.
Imminent Fate

City: Johannesburg

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore Very Happy why are u letting go of the handle. Either way you crash, so keep hanging on you might land and recover. I've seen some epic crashes to be turn into stylish recoveries.

Once more - line tension - load the line, your slacking off a bit and that will stop your rotation or make it harder.

I saw the grab you did in an earlier picture, so throw the front roll and reach for an Indy grab and you'll naturally rotate, forget about handle passing even with a scarecrow there's no need for a handle pass.

Cheers. Best advice I can give you. Go Hard or Go Home.
supergoob

City: Cadiz

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ pic 4. Thanks for this thread, I think it helps all of us learn.
brichter14
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mucksoup, theres a button on your throttle that goes up and down called the "Trim" push the up button once you are at speed.

in all seriousness, trim up a bit and put some weight in the front of the boat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: