Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Rub Rail Woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadramsey75

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: May 07, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Rub Rail Woes Reply with quote

I just bought a 2000 Centurion Elite V and have a little problem... the original owner had gotten the rub rail replaced. On the very tip of the bow the rub rail has slipped up where the unpainted fiberglass can be seen (flat surface that rub rail sits on). I have two questions 1. The rub rail is not symmetric (it is wider on the top than the bottom) so which side goes down, the wider or narrower side? and 2.) How hard would it be/what is the best way to fix this situation? Would it be better to take the rub rail off and restart or ??? I should say I guess that it has not had the silicone bead ran around the bottom of the rail yet. Thanks for any help. I am attaching a picture below not because it helps describe the situation any but because I am proud of it.. not the nicest but it is payed for...
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: May 07, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet most rubrails are the same. Mine is a plastic base "channel" that the rubber insert fits into. You might verify yours is similar. If so, the rubber insert peels out and the plastic portion is screwed to the hull. You can probably remove the insert and go look at whether it is screwed in up front. You might be able to reposition it just in the front and add a couple screws. Pre-drilling would be recommended and run the drill in reverse until you break through the gelcoat to prevent spider cracking. Then you can do some work with a bead of caulking along the bottom (and top if you want).

There are several products out there to use for caulking. It has been recommended to me to use 3M 4200. That's what I'm doing when I put my rubrail back on. If you decide to take the entire rail off, you might run a bead of the 4200 underneath the base, as well.

chadramsey75

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: May 07, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the two piece setup, I was gonna use the 5200 to epoxy the original holes and 4200 to caulk around the bottom of the channel and the screws if I had to pull it off (it looks like that will be the case).I just thought someone might have had this problem before and had a good way to fix it without having to pull it all off. The more I look at it I think the guy who installed it might have put the channel upside down. Does anyone know if the wider side of the channel goes toward the water?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: May 10, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is kind of an "L" shape. The bottom of the "L" seems to cut in right under the lip of the top and bottom hull pieces to make it fit snug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: