Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Digital SLR advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalderman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Carlsbad

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Digital SLR advice Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a digi SLR but don't want to spend much more than $1,000 for the body & lens. I'm considering a Rebel or Nikon but not sold on either.
Anybody have any recommendations?
Looking for at least 10 megapix and a decent zoom.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a D40 and love it. My recomendation would be to get a cheaper body and better lenses. I don't think you could go wrong with Rebel, Nikon, or Cannon so go with the one that feels the best in your hand and is the most intuitive to operate and possibly best deal.

10 megapixels on a DSLR is huge. The sensor is larger on DSLR so the megapixels don't exactly correlate to equal megapixels for a point and shoot. My camera has remained on the highest setting since we got it, and I have yet to print any picture poster size, so all that extra size is just eating up storage space.
dalderman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Carlsbad

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip and that makes perfect sense.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 megapixel = one million pixels. They're all the same. The difference that you're probably seeing is in the output. On a DSLR you usually shoot RAW...and most point&shoots can't shoot RAW so they shoot JPEG. There's a pretty big difference between RAW and JPEG when it comes to file sizes. Maybe this is the difference that you're seeing?

Pretty much anything out there nowadays is gonna be 10mp, so I would worry about that much.

Anything by Canon and Nikon should suit about anyone just fine. From there it depends on how 'into it' you are (how much $ you wanna spend). But at this point I think even the entry level cameras have more tech built into them than most people will ever use. From there it all boils down to form factor and what fits best into your hand. I'd suggest that you head into a shop and hold a few different ones to see which feels best.

Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10mp does equal 10mp. But 10mp stuffed onto a sensor much smaller than a dslr sensor produces less quality photographs. (I guess you are saying the file sizes would be comparable though). My point was to not get too hung up on mp if you are comparing them to point and shoot cameras or if you aren't ever going to make big prints out of them. A 6mp dslr with a good lens blows most 10mp point&shoots out of the water.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these were taken w/ a 6mp dslr.

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Puyallup, WA

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go with Cannon. I had a Nikon D90 this past year while both my brothers have Canons(5d mkII, t1i). Cannon's video system for their DSLRs is far better than Nikon's. I also noticed while using a friend's d5000, that you have to navigate through the menu to change controls like ISO. Which I found very frustrating. I'd say get a T2i body, then go on craigslist and buy lenses. Or just get a T2i package.

www.myspace.com/algebraicsatellite
^more new songs!
www.algebraicsatellite.com/blog
My Electronic Music.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon D60 and I love it.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthwestRider wrote:
I'd say go with Cannon. I had a Nikon D90 this past year while both my brothers have Canons(5d mkII, t1i). Cannon's video system for their DSLRs is far better than Nikon's. I also noticed while using a friend's d5000, that you have to navigate through the menu to change controls like ISO. Which I found very frustrating. I'd say get a T2i body, then go on craigslist and buy lenses. Or just get a T2i package.

you're comparing a d90 to a 5dmk2? that's like comparing a bmw 325 to a mercedes s420.

and weird that i don't have to nav through the menu to change iso (and most other features) on my 6yr old camera, nor on the d200 or my buddy's d700.

listen to scott a and take his advice.

(edited due to bad analogy/comparison)

Last edited by jumalian on Apr 25, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dirtycracker
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: orlando

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2i or a GH1 both very good cameras + you can shoot video!
intotheflats
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: May 12, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an olympus E-500 that I really liked. I think the newer version is a E-520. I picked mine up as a referb with full warranty for $500 with 1 lens.

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Mexico

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumalian wrote:

you're comparing a d90 to a 5dmk2? that's like comparing a bmw 325 to a mercedes s420.

What do you mean by that?
Sorry I know pretty much nothing about dslr's and I'm looking for one.
A friend has the d90 and I loved it. was thinking about getting one or something similar...
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanssapo wrote:
jumalian wrote:

What do you mean by that?
Sorry I know pretty much nothing about dslr's and I'm looking for one.
A friend has the d90 and I loved it. was thinking about getting one or something similar...

A Canon 5D Mark II is a far more expensive camera than the D90. Furthermore it is Full frame (35mm sensor) compared to the D90's 1.5 crop (23.3mm sensor).

Basically the 5D is, more or less, a professional body where as a D90 would be considered a consumer or prosumer model.

hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAGON88, and what about the D3000? I've seen it a lot on the internet and seen that it's a lot cheaper than the D90....for that reason I had also in my mind buying it and buying with the extra money another lens, since I've heard the quality of your lens(es) comes first and the body comes second.
On the other hand D90 has live view and the D3000 doesn't.
Two other options are D5000 and the Canon Rebel T1i / EOS 500D

Thanks for the help!
intotheflats

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanssapo, I was deciding between those same models and I ended up going with the D5000 and I absolutely love it. The live view is one of teh main reason I went with the D5000 but after having it for awhile I noticed that I don't use the live view as much as I thought I would. It's great for still shots but it takes longer to auto focus in live view mode making it pretty much useless for action shots.

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanssapo wrote:
DRAGON88, and what about the D3000? I've seen it a lot on the internet and seen that it's a lot cheaper than the D90....for that reason I had also in my mind buying it and buying with the extra money another lens, since I've heard the quality of your lens(es) comes first and the body comes second.
On the other hand D90 has live view and the D3000 doesn't.
Two other options are D5000 and the Canon Rebel T1i / EOS 500D

Thanks for the help!

I don't shoot Nikon, so I'm not really that knowledgeable. But there are tons of great photography review sites. DPReview.com comes to mind.

In the end it comes down to what system feels best in your hands and your personal preference. From both a financial and image quality stance you will be in a much better place if you buy higher quality glass. (Financial because it will hold its value really well, image quality because if you use crappy lenses your photos will look bad regardless of what body you're using.)

You can also look in the buy/sell forum at FM: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking quite a bit about it, decided to go for the D3100 because of price and capabilities and it's way more than i expected.
Video (Full HD 1080p)and image quality is amazing!
It offers Full-time autofocus for video as well.
Also it has a really small size which is great.
On the downside it doesn't have the bracketing option like the more expensive D5000 nor the tilt LCD (yet a little bit bigger on the D3100, 3")
Overall very happy with my purchase. Shoots like a D90 and at a very reasonable price.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanssapo, the D3100 is an excellent entry level DSLR. Great choice.

It's obviously not quite the D90, but really it's apples to oranges there. The D90 is a "prosumer" model and the D3100 is definitely a "consumer" model. But for a entry level consumer model it's got TONS of features. A very cool camera for sure.

We bought the D90 because it offered more choice in glass, a faster frame rate, and more adjustability. It also felt better in hand. Video wasn't a concern for us.

The tilting LCD isn't something you would use for stills anyway. Kind of gimmicky I think.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, yeah I was at one time pretty much decided to go for the D90, it's an amazing camera! It's got tons of features and amazing image quality.

My sister bought it and there was no logic in buying another one. She still hasn't learned to use all of the features. I use the video feature a lot so the D3100 was a no-brainer for me since I'm also pretty much a newbie in photography. I think it's a great camera to learn with and gives you a lot of options to start with.
Like you said they're just focused to different markets.

As I get better I'll be thinking more in terms of a D90 or even the D7000
Cool
or investing in some glass as well
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way does anyone know a good digital photo podcast??

Was thinking I could learn a bit from there
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanssapo wrote:
By the way does anyone know a good digital photo podcast??

Was thinking I could learn a bit from there

There is a software training website called lynda.com. They have hundreds of training videos for any kind of software you can think of. I was using them to learn photoshop (very good course by the way) when I noticed that they also had some photography courses.

I watched a course on the fundamentals of exposure by Ben Long. It's about 13 hours worth of videos geared towards the beginner. It was an awesome course that helped me tremendously in making the move from full auto and program mode, to using my camera in manual mode. I highly recommend watching this course. You can even watch it via their iphone ap.

Membership at lynda.com runs $250 per year or $25 per month. If you watch the Ben Long class within a month, then $25 for a 13 hour course is really a bargain.

hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nauty, thanks for that! Just started watching the exposure course
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nauty, hell of a great advice my friend! Been watching all courses by Ben Long right now. For a beginner trying to learn how to manually control the camera it's a great theory learning tool, haven't found a better one yet. Overall everything is very well explained.

Changing a little bit the subject, I'm wanting to get another lens besides the one that comes with the camera (18-55 mm)

I was thinking in terms of a fisheye, the 18-105 or the 18-200

I'm shooting everything I can right now and am starting to shoot landscapes and nature but I'm limited right now with the 55 mm.

So my question is, would it be enough with the 105 mm or should I go the extra mile and get the 200 mm??
Or could the fisheye be also a nice choice (although a very different option)?

Want to hear from your own experiences as you were starting up in photography
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanssapo -

Glad to hear that the course was helpful. I thought so as well.

Can't help you with Nikon lenses as I shoot Canon. For me though, price was and still is an issue in furthering my lens collection. However, with Canon I was able to get a great little 50 mm f/1.8 lens for $99. The image quality was a really nice step up from the kit lenses. I'm not sure if Nilkon offers something similar, but I would imagine that they do?

hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nauty, yes nikon has a similar lens, and it's crazy how a 50 mm f1.8 costs 99 bucks while a 50 mm f1.2 costs around $700... Shocked
They also have one in between, an f1.4.

The f1.8 seems like a great lens as well. I'm really having a hard time deciding between several options Confused
JTRebel
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Graham

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with a kid on the way in June, I decided I wanted to enter the DSLR world. I scooped up a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm lens and got a 55-200mm lens. I have never used a DSLR, so I got home snapped on the 18-55mm lens, put it on Auto and this is what I got, I must say I am quite impressed having only used a point and shoot up until now.
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTRebel, nice pics! went also for the D3100 and couldn't be more happy.
Got the 55-200 as well for the extra reach.
I also got a Nikon 35 mm f/1.8 DX that I would recommend 1000 times over without doubt!
It's a very sharp, very fast lens and the best thing, it costs around 200 bucks.
You should definitely check it out.
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of the photos I've taken with the 55-200 and a circular polarizer filter
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTRebel wrote:
put it on Auto and this is what I got, I must say I am quite impressed having only used a point and shoot up until now.

i know you just got it, but in the future, take the cam out of auto. otherwise, it's just an expensive point-and-shoot.

on top of hanssapo's 35mm suggestion, i also suggest the 50f1.8. here are some shots taken w/ the 50.

JTRebel
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Graham

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It;s going to take some getting used to. As I have no idea what all the settings are off of Auto.
Wow, those are great Jumalian, will have to check out that lens.
Dante2004

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know TS posted this about a year ago...but for anyone else looking...

For $1000 you can get yourself into a nice starter kit. Probably even less. Nikon has a D90 start kit with a 18-105 lens(?). Probably more than most noobs or hobbyists need if you are just taking the occasional shot. But if you can afford it, it is a great camera for the non-pro.

And do yourself a favor...take some time to learn the settings on whatever camera you end up getting. Just like someone said above, if you shoot in auto mode, you just have an expensive Point and Shoot.

Practice BEFORE you get to the actual event you want to capture. This way, you will know what you are doing before the "big event" and you won't miss the shot (at least you hopefully not! haha).

When I got my first DSLR, I just sat in a chair in the back yard and took about 300 shots of my dog running around. Of course they looked awful, but it was great hands on experience to learn what effects shutter priority and apperature priority will have on the photo. Mess with the DOF and you can really make your pictures pop the way you want.

Learn to not take "snapshots".

Watch youtube videos, read some books, take lots of shots...ask for CC and you will get better and better!

Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at them as well. I looked at D5000 today that is about what I would be comfortable spending on a first time DSLR. I need to get a better camera, I've been told time and again I take great photos, but never had real equipment.

Time to ante up. But with my camera I need to be able to do close ups, high speed actions, and large high res poster pics. I will actually be putting alot of what I shoot onto large 24x36" prints. Black and whites, etc.

I think if I dial in the D5000 right I should be able to get real good pictures for what I need. Thoughts?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, look at the D5100, not the 5000. If you are going to look at that price point, then I'd suggest the D3100.

Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
haugy, look at the D5100, not the 5000. If you are going to look at that price point, then I'd suggest the D3100.

Price aside, why the D5100 vs D5000? You know me, if it's a good setup I'll spend the extra.

Did you see what I'm needing to do on sizes and fast shutter speeds? Will the D5100 handle that?

EDIT: I went and read about it. Looks very nice. I like the ISO range of 100-6400. I plan on doing a lot of low light/dark pictures. The HDR setting would be neat to work with as well.

Looks like a damn good camera with a whole lot of versatility. I guess the only question is now how do I shoot to ensure good strong clear pictures that can be printed on 24"x36" high quality poster/picture paper? I plan on shooting some things to put up in my shop so I need to be able to have LARGE high res pics.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, sorry didn't see the post.

I'd say 2 things are going to factor in to gettng that quality - the user and the glass. If you don't know what you are doing then it's gonna be hard to get the quality - and if your glass is not great then you may not get the end result you want.

That said, I believe the 5100 can come as a kit with the 18-105 VR like I have for our D90. For a kit lens, it's pretty damn good. I need to buy a 50 soon, word is nikon has a new 50/1.8 on the way so I'll probably wait to see if its worth it or if I should just get the current version.

A big thing with glass to note is that the d5100/d5000/d3100 cannot autofocus lenses that do not have a motor built in. Not a problem for most, but if you plan to get serious with the SLR you need to be aware of that limitation. The new 50mm 1.8 lens I mentioned supposedly has an AF motor in the lens, whereas the previous versions did not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: