Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

los angeles is about to be completely f*ed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
how the hell is apple creating 10-15k jobs right now?

Probably all that tax avoidance they do.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably! i just can't figure out what the hell all those people will be developing, or making, or selling, that isn't already being developed, made, or sold.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
probably! i just can't figure out what the hell all those people will be developing, or making, or selling, that isn't already being developed, made, or sold.

if you could you would be rich, although I'm sure you were just joking
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not joking at all.

Quote:
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) will create 7,400 new “high-quality” jobs in its hometown of Cupertino, Calif., by 2016, increasing its employee base by 46 percent to 23,400, the company said in a report on Tuesday.

By the time “Campus 2” -- the company's new headquarters, which is expected to resemble a spaceship -- is completed in 2016, the total number of jobs supported by Apple in Santa Clara County is expected to grow to about 41,100, the company claimed in an 82-page report, prepared by consulting firm Keyser Marston Associates Inc.

Currently, about 12,100 additional jobs are created in the county indirectly through expenditures by Apple and its employees, the report said.

10k+ now (including the 3000+ going into the new austin campus) and another 18k+ w/ the next 3 years? that's a LOT of people.
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unconventional reservoirs are almost a self-sustaining model. Average first year decline is 28+% in the Permian Basin which is the largest oil producing region in the U.S by volume. If the underlying commodity price falls, drilling slows very quickly. If drilling were to stop for one year, the 1.38 million barrels a day being produced in the Permian Basin would drop to under 1 million barrels per day. I don't know the specifics of the other unconventional resource plays, but I would guess they are similar. The difference between the impending (I say impending because it has always been a boom/bust cycle) oil bust and past oil busts is the pace at which production will decrease. I don't know what the exact time frame will be, but the previous bust was almost 20 years. I think the next one will be less than 10 years, maybe less than 5.

LNG is another animal. LNG is simply the globalization of the natural gas market. Natural gas is cheap in the U.S. because there is such an abundance of it. In other countries, natural gas is still very expensive by U.S. standards. Gas is very hard to import/export because of it's low energy content by volume in its produced state. LNG should make the transportation of natural gas to better markets more feasible.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolz - gonna steal all the good shlt!

Quote:
The stink over the odor from a sauce-maker's factory went before a judge who denied a Southern California city's request Thursday for a temporary halt to production of the popular brand Sriracha.

The judge called the city's request involving Sauce-maker Huy Fong Foods Inc. a "very radical order" on short notice.

The request from the San Gabriel Valley city of Irwindale, about 20 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles, was in response to complaints from factory neighbors who have described the odor as "offensive." A lawsuit calling the factory a public nuisance was filed Monday.

The lawsuit demands the company halt production of Sriracha until the spicy odor of ground peppers is no longer a problem. The judge did not grant the temporary restraining order Thursday, but a Nov. 22 hearing was scheduled to discuss a preliminary injunction.

"You're asking for a very radical order on 24-hour notice," Judge Robert O'Brien told attorneys representing Irwindale.

Thursday's ruling allows the factory to finish processing peppers needed for next year's sauce supply, according to the Times. The Nov. 22 hearing will focus on whether the factory should be shut down while the company addresses the odor issue.

Attorneys for Irwindale told City News Service after the hearing that they are hopeful a filtering system the company claims to have installed will solve the odor problem.

David Tran (pictured, right), chief executive and founder of Huy Fong Foods, has told The Los Angeles Times he twice fitted filters to the factory's exhaust vents. He added that the peppers' pungent qualities make for a tastier sauce.

Sriracha is Huy Fong Foods best known and best selling product. The sauce is made from chiles that are ground into a paste. The bright red sauce is then packaged in iconic green-top squeeze bottles and used on soups, salads and just about anything else that needs a spicy kick.

The company opened a 68,000-square-foot factory in Rosemead in 1986 and the Irwindale plant in 2010. It also produces Chili Garlic Sauce, a ground chili pasted called Sambal Oelek and Sambal Badjak, a chili paste with onions.

Word of the Irwindale dispute prompted a North Texas city councilman on Wednesday to write a letter to Huy Fong Foods, inviting the makers of the popular sauce to relocate.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, what they don't mention is the $40M new factory to triple production that has been sited and is being built in CA.

Love how TX politicians try to pander anytime something takes place like this in CA...

I could file the exact same lawsuit against a facility in TX as this was filed under the Federal Clean Air Act (kind of my wheelhouse). Beer and Liquor facilities are often targets, just like refineries and power plants, but the connotation is often different it's the same NIMBY mentality.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing @ pandering! dude wrote a letter saying the company was welcome in denton (pretty sure it was denton, maybe sherman). that's not pandering, that's a politician trying to bring business to his area - which is exactly what he should do! and he didn't file the lawsuit, some cranky wanker in irwindale did.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pandering... Every act made public by an elected official is pandering in some fashion, because silence is the sound of good deeds and hard work in politics.

Never waste a good crisis... Podunk TX elected official thought he smelled blood and comes rushing in with a letter and press release without realizing that the company is already in the process of building a larger facility and investing in CA. Had said official known about said investment the letter would have never gone out.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
Podunk TX

Laughing compare irwindale to denton and/or sherman and tell me which is the podunk one! Laughing
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, I know nothing of Denton or Sherman but you do know that Irwindale is basically LA, right?

It's about as far from Podunk as you could get (if we are talking about where it is, not who inhabits it)

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's pretty f*ing podunk. less than 1500 residents. it's a bunch of gravel pits and industrial parks.

denton is 110k+, w/ 2 universities (50k students combined), 2 major hospitals, connected to dallas via light rail. sherman is ~40k, a major hostital, and has some pretty big manufacturing/packaging companies - tyson/oscar mayer, texas instruments, emerson/fisher controls
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, not to argue semantics or the politics of maps but within similar distances to Irwindale there are 20+ Universities, Edison International, Trader Joe's HQ, ViewSonic, Panda Restaurant Group, ect...

Denton's 89,000+ sq miles to Irwindale's 9,600+ sq miles isn't an exact comparison. That said Irwindale is part of the larger megalopolis of LA.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Po·dunk
ˈpōˌdəNGk/noun informal
1. a hypothetical small town regarded as typically dull or insignificant.

i know where it is, but i'm not sure why that's relevant. it's not a even town, it's just a place where other towns aren't. mik called two pretty damn good sized towns podunk in comparison to an overgrown industrial park.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't look now, but Mesa, AZ just beat out Everywhere, TX for an Apple production facility. And it wasn't announced until the deal was done!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess that means mesa also beat out everywhere, ca, too?
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Mesa beat out the other cities with a brand new unoccupied facility ready for a tennant....I'm guessing that is a small list.

Either that or Cook figured Brewer could kick the ish out of Perry.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
guess that means mesa also beat out everywhere, ca, too?
Yeah, but that's to be expected. No reason to keep a production facility in CA if other states are willing to offer nice incentives.

This is non-news, IMO, but given the recent discussion of pandering I figured I would post it up.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
mik called two pretty damn good sized towns podunk in comparison to an overgrown industrial park.

I believe I said "Podunk TX elected official." Speaking of said elected officials insignificance and mentality. Had he done his research he would have stayed silent.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't quit this thread. Mr. Green

The 15 US Cities That Are Driving The Future

all 4 major texas cities included - 1, 7, 7, 12. cali w/ #3 and 4, although one could argue that should be one gouping.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't grouped because the OMB/Census has them as separate statistical areas. Besides, the SF group alone has 4+ million in population, and the SJ group almost 2 million. If you grouped the entire "Bay Area" together, population is 8 million+.

Not surprised with this list (it would have shocked me if Austin wasn't on top), although I'm wondering why the OC was left off. The area from Santa Ana to roughly Laguna is absolutely essploding with business and tech and the population in that area is something like 3m. I guess they didn't include it because it is lumped in with LA in the statistics (same reason why they broke out SJ and SF), but it's notable on it's own.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see that argument, but when you look at a map and pull up the 6 cities named, they are all pretty much in a line from sf to sj. add in that the 49ers will be playing in santa clara and you have a hard time saying they are separate and distinct areas (you like my scientific reasoning on that one?! Laughing )
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, makes perfect sense! Laughing

From browsing the Milken report that article is based on, they were using the MSA (metro statistical areas) from the OMB/Census and obviously didn't deviate from it.

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take exception with the article.

They list Boeing's future as a driving force for Seattle. I think Boeing's relationship with Seattle could easily be described as tenuous.

Also, one has to think the clock is ticking on the shale oil boom. I have no empirical evidence to prove a eminent decline, just the age old cycle that repeats.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shale oil boom isn't slowing any time soon. technology is making it cheaper to extract more product, which is why you still see ng wells being drilled, despite the price dropping from $15 to $2 in the last couple of years. it's only at $4 now and there were ~2100 permits approved for gas wells in the last 90 days, and over 8000 in the last year.
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the shale oil boom isn't slowing any time soon

Sounds like a spec home builder in 2006.

The music will stop eventually. The when and how are the only questions.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eventually, but not any time soon. (is there an echo in here?)
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA avoided a hydraulic fracturing ban and regulations have been adopted... Applications are flooding in. That said this drought could hurt. There's next to no snow on the ground in Tahoe.

Also, the state budget came out today with a surplus. All debts paid from deficit years by spring '15.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
CA avoided a hydraulic fracturing ban and regulations have been adopted... Applications are flooding in.

since the gov approved it on 9/20, there have been 2300+ permits submitted. in the 3 months before that, there were 2700+ permits submitted. in 2013, there was a hair over 10,000 permits submitted.

if anything, that looks like a slight decline for q4.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.policymic.com/articles/79403/the-state-in-the-worst-fiscal-condition-in-america-is
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil boom going on in 2-5 right now.

jt09, data is from 2012. Surprisingly a lot has changed since then.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the updated tax distribution numbers. Hard for a state like Montana to not show up in the top 10 when they are getting close to 2:1 back on their money. Likewise for CA on the flip side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Add To Favorites

Jump to: