Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

los angeles is about to be completely f*ed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal, the state of CA sure makes it tough to start up a business there. holy @#$#@ i have had to jump through a lot of hoops the last couple of weeks.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:
Nor*Cal, the state of CA sure makes it tough to start up a business there. holy @#$#@ i have had to jump through a lot of hoops the last couple of weeks.

Understood. But there are profits to be made here which is probably why you started a business here. I spend everyday trying to make it more reasonable for my clients to operate in this state. There's some traction in this economy so hopefully things move and reforms take place.

If you need help let me know, also http://www.business.ca.gov/ is a new office the Governor set up. I can put you in touch with those guys if needed.

churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal, Thanks, I appreciate it. I think we finally got all of our permits, etc. If I would have had someone in Sac. helping, it would have been much easier since some forms had to be hand delivered. I had to hire a courier to do it, and they messed things up. I am going to go check out your link now.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
jt09 wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:
trust me our economy even in disrepair trumps yours.

i don't think that's true. at least not vs texas.

We're a couple billion apart but CA still has the edge by about $6 billion. At least we did last year, until the end of this month there is no way to do a direct comparison for this budget year.

Tbonez wrote:
If the multiple sources of information I have read are correct, 25% of your budget is not funded and will have to come by additional cuts or will come in the form of a federal bailout, however....Now dont you think I should have something to say about that?

Your facts are incorrect or your statement lacks understanding of the reality of the situation, most likely the national sources that wrote those articles lacked knowledge. The sources regarding a bailout, such as that received by the banking industry or auto manufacturers was mentioned in the press a year ago and never the reality. CA always has big budget fights which allows partisan politicians to fire off rhetoric to mobilize their base. This rhetoric makes for great national news. But the reality on the ground is far more sensible than is reported.

The upcoming budget is looking rather reasonable but there will still be rhetoric. Texas and Georgia are facing similar structural deficits in their state budgets so before you start spouting off about liberal this or that read your states budget proposal.

On a side note: I represent the political interests of some of CA's largest corporations so don't think for a moment I'm unaware of the issues this state has... That being said there are amazing benefits to this state that people weigh regularly and keeps them here.

Nooga678 wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:
BTW!!!

CA is NOT receiving nor did the State receive "bailout" dollars. Get that notion out of your head because it is patently false. Your tax dollars are safe and you can sleep well because trust me our economy even in disrepair trumps yours.

Do you know for a fact that you recieved no money from the FED? How would you know? I realize CA didn't receive any official bailout dollars from congress, but that is not the only revenue stream. I am not argueing, just curious if you know one way or another, because typically no ones knows where the FED throws money.

Every State receives Federal dollars every year which are basically redistributed income tax through various grants. California traditionally gets about $0.70-$0.78 of every dollar paid to the Feds. Which is/was my point.

ARRA funding has changed this slightly but per capita, CA is dead middle in terms of ARRA fund distribution by the Feds.

If Cali doesnt go belly up, ask for a bailout and can straighten out their budget then you will be 100% right. If on the other hand Cali comes to the Federal government with their hands out well then I will bite my tongue...

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
We're a couple billion apart but CA still has the edge by about $6 billion. At least we did last year, until the end of this month there is no way to do a direct comparison for this budget year.

but heading in different directions. texas is stealing jobs from cali left and right. within the last month facebook just landed in austin (support, not moving corp hq from cali afaik), and legalzoom is relocating from cali to austin. austin beat out nor cal for red oxygen. indymac cprp, borland software, atristforce.com and setcom are moving from cali to austin. paypal just announced a center here w/ 200+ jobs that didn't go to san jose (or scottsdale or nebraska, their other us locations). and that's just austin.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:

but heading in different directions. texas is stealing jobs from cali left and right. within the last month facebook just landed in austin (support, not moving corp hq from cali afaik), and legalzoom is relocating from cali to austin. austin beat out nor cal for red oxygen. indymac cprp, borland software, atristforce.com and setcom are moving from cali to austin. paypal just announced a center here w/ 200+ jobs that didn't go to san jose (or scottsdale or nebraska, their other us locations). and that's just austin.

Lets just be honest...Pretty much everything about Texas is welcoming for businesses and its the exact opposite for California...

Tax climate goes to Texas
Regulation goes to Texas
Incentives goes to Texas

The list goes on and on….The only thing Texas doesn’t have is quality of life (ie California lifestyle.)

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbonez wrote:
The only thing Texas doesn’t have is quality of life (ie California lifestyle.)

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

i'd love to see that one quantified. we don't have the cities along the coast or snowboarding/mountains but the cost of living in texas is orders of magnitude less than cali. we also don't have earthquakes and wildfires.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
Tbonez wrote:
The only thing Texas doesn’t have is quality of life (ie California lifestyle.)

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

i'd love to see that one quantified. we don't have the cities along the coast or snowboarding/mountains but the cost of living in texas is orders of magnitude less than cali. we also don't have earthquakes and wildfires.

Relax man..Im not trashing Texas. What I am really talking about is the name California and the prestige of California. Many companies look for an image and Texas doesnt have the same image as California does...That doesnt mean Texas isnt a 100% smarter move.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, I'm not arguing that point not in the slightest. We are losing jobs no doubt about it. Austin is doing a good job enticing business. But Texas isn't without it's budget issues in this economy, no state is... And you can never count CA out as we have the ports, crops and universities. CA brings in more foreign investment and venture capital than any other state and in some years over half of the US's total. Texas is on the move and CA will adapt to make the changes to stay competitive. Texas and CA face similar challenges in terms of supporting massive amounts of illegal immigrants and the social services they consume without the support of the Federal Government. We both have inland and sea ports, large refineries, large ag and manufacturers. With the influx of affluent high tech jobs Texas will also begin to have a more diverse political landscape with the migration of young, rich and idealistic tech employees. You'll see why our bay area politicians are so out of touch with the world.

The reforms are on the ballot. CA should make huge political shifts in the next year from what I can see. By 2012 the state legislature will have a completely different dynamic because of citizen redistricting and open-primaries. Both encourage moderation and policy debate as opposed to rhetoric which is common place.

Tbonez, worry about your own state which is balancing it's budget with ARRA funds and projecting a structural deficit over the next 3 budget years. Again, LA's budget issues and conflict with a municipal water and power company are not indicative of the State's overall fiscal situation. There is no request for a bailout, there is no mention of a bailout. All those articles are over a year old. Your information is outdated.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business Advantages
California is the No.1 state for venture capital (VC). California receives four times more venture capital (as a share of gross state product) than the national average.[i]
In 2008, California companies received more than $14.2 billion, or 50.1 percent of all VC invested in the U.S. That’s far more than any other state and represents a 40 percent increase over 2003.
California is the number one state for attracting foreign direct investment.[ii]
California is one of the top 5 states in the area of science and technology; specifically: No.1 in Risk Capital and Entrepreneurial Infrastructure and No.3 in Research and Development Inputs.[iii]
California is one of the top 10 states in the areas of high-wage services, fastest growing companies, initial public offerings (IPO), innovation capacity and patents.[iv]
California’s 3.5 million small businesses represent the largest network of small employers of any state. These firms cut across every industry sector and offer small employers a robust network of business-to-business opportunities.[v]
California’s small businesses account for 99.2% of the state's employers and 52.1% of its private-sector employment.
California has proven to be an attractive location for international employers, ranking #1 in the U.S. in the number of employees supported by U.S. subsidiaries. U.S. subsidiaries in California employ 572,500 Californians.[vi]
Furthermore, U.S. subsidiaries support 133,700 manufacturing jobs in California. Manufacturing companies tend to have a strong “multiplier” effect on the economy—stimulating a substantial amount of activity and jobs in other sectors through their demand for inputs from other suppliers.
Almost 9% of manufacturing jobs in California are supported by U.S. subsidiaries.
California’s location on the Pacific Rim gives businesses access to the global economy and one of the largest trade networks of any state.
California's export shipments of merchandise in 2009 totaled $120 billion, ranking California second only to Texas ($163 billion) among the states in terms of total exports in 2009.[vii]
California's largest export market was Mexico, with the state posting exports of $17.5 billion to Mexico in 2009. Mexico alone accounted for 15 percent of California's goods exports in 2009. Other top markets include Canada ($14.3 billion), Japan ($10.9 billion), China ($9.7 billion) and South Korea ($5.9 billion).
The state's leading export category in 2009 was computers and electronic products, which alone accounted for 29 percent, or $35.2 billion, of California's total merchandise exports. Other top exports were transportation equipment (2009 exports of $12.8 billion), machinery manufactures ($10.7 billion), and chemical manufactures ($10.2 billion).
Small and medium-sized firms generated more than two-fifths (44 percent) of California's total exports of merchandise in 2007. This was the seventh highest percentage among the states, and was well above the 30 percent national export share.
Twelve metropolitan areas in California exported over $1 billion in merchandise in 2008. The leading metropolitan area in exporting was Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana with $60.0 billion in merchandise exports in 2008. This area represented 39 percent of California's exports, and ranked as the third largest metro area exporter nationally.
Other major metropolitan areas in California that exported in 2008 included San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara ($27.0 billion), San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont ($20.5 billion), San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos ($15.9 billion), Riverside-San Bernardino- Ontario ($6.2 billion), Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Roseville ($3.6 billion), Oxnard- Thousand Oaks-Ventura ($2.6 billion), El Centro ($2.5 billion), and Fresno ($2.0 billion).
Industrial Research and Development (R&D) in California totaled $50.6 billion, which represents almost 25 percent of the national total.[viii]
California offers a 15-24 percent R&D tax credit to businesses, which is made possible by large share of federal funding for R&D. The UC Technology Transfer Program is first among U.S. universities, both in terms of the number of patents granted and in the number of successfully commercialized inventions — more than 1,000 inventions a year.
We have 40 federal laboratories – more than any other state.
Three out of the ten NASA centers are located in California – more than any other state.
In 2008, over 19,000 patents originated in California, far more than any other state.
Since 1963 (when patent records were first established), 432, 404 patents have originated in California which; represents 17 percent of all the patents issued in the history of the U.S. and more than twice the number originating from the next closest state (New York).[ix]
References
[i] http://www.ssti.org/vc/california/all.php
[ii] http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/industry/otea/state_reports/california.html
[iii] http://www.milkeninstitute.org/tech/tech.taf?state=CA
[iv] “2008 State New Economy Index,” Kauffman Foundation, 1/9/09
[v] http://www.sba.gov/advo/research/profiles/09ca.pdf
[vi] http://www.ofii.org/Docs/CA.pdf
[vii] http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/industry/otea/state_reports/california.html
[viii] http://www.ovcr.ucla.edu/uploads/file/CVD09CaliforniaR&D.pdf
[ix] http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/cst_utl.htm

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbonez wrote:
Many companies look for an image and Texas doesnt have the same image as California does

fair enough - that's a valid point no doubt. of course, that's a perception thing and the reality is that it's a hell of a lot easier to do business in texas, and the cost of living crushes california.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
Tbonez wrote:
Many companies look for an image and Texas doesnt have the same image as California does

fair enough - that's a valid point no doubt. of course, that's a perception thing and the reality is that it's a hell of a lot easier to do business in texas, and the cost of living crushes california.

Completely agree..If I was opening a large business there is no where else in the country I would consider opening it besides Texas..Including Atlanta which is my home town.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion in this thread.

jt09, you're making me want to move to Austin. Northern California is on the consideration list. #1 destination would be Sydney though.

I'm sure I could find similar information for Dallas, although it tends to be more corporate headquarters rather than smaller start-ups. I'd love to get into a more entrepreneurial culture.

_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California's just doing what the people like. Live big now, pay for it later. Texas needs to learn to ball like Cali.

You try hooking up the entire country south of your border with healthcare. It's not easy man.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas County is facing a $56 million dollar budget shortfall this year. Locals are seriously hurting throughout the country.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
Dallas County is facing a $56 million dollar budget shortfall this year. Locals are seriously hurting throughout the country.

Good luck trying to sell California. So far that pitch isnt even working on your own citizens. For six years in a row more US citizens have moved out of California than have moved in.

_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

Last edited by _bruky on Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbonez wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:

Good luck trying to sell California. So far that pitch isnt even working on your own citizens. For six years in a row more US citizens have moved out of California than have moved in.

I'm with _bruky, let them leave and in doing so leave their earning potential behind as well.

Again Tbonez you are missing the point. I can find examples all day from all over the country of municipalities in serious deficit. New York City is 3.3 BILLION in deficit but I don't see you saying New York is going to collapse. You simply have NO clue what is going on in this state. Trust me there's plenty of incentives to live and do business in California. And any business that wants to move here or needs help with the government I'm more than willing to navigate some red tape for the betterment of my State.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbonez wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:

I'm one of them.

Here's something interesting to ponder. A lot of people would say CA is a benchmark for the entire country. The policies of CA are very liberal and heavy on socialism type style. We're seeing that many business and private citizens are leaving because of that. Tax and spend and keep squeezing the "rich" and they'll just leave. The current direction of this country is to become much like CA and/ or Europe including more taxes, more spending and more socialistic type programs. Things like VAT are headed our way. So, with all that being said, I wonder how many people or companies will leave the U.S. when the whole country becomes the way CA is? Something to think about, for sure.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran across this today and i thought it was fairly relevant to this thread...

Quote:
Why Texas is doing so much better economically than the rest of the nation.
By Daniel Gross Posted Monday, April 19, 2010, at 10:09 AM ET

Once a separate nation, Texas has recently been behaving more like an independent economic republic than a regular state. While it hasn't been immune to the problems plaguing the nation, the Texas housing market, employment rate, and overall economic growth are relatively strong. Chalk some of this up to accidents of geology and geography. But Texan prosperity also reflects the conscious efforts of a once-parochial place to embrace globalization.

On several measures of economic stress, Texas is doing quite well. The state unemployment rate is 8.2 percent—high, but still one many states would envy. (California's is 12.5 percent; Michigan's is 14.1 percent.) It entered recession later than the rest of the country—Texas was adding jobs through August 2008—and started slowly adding jobs again last fall, thanks mostly to its great position in the largely recession-proof energy industry.

The Texas housing market also has fared better than many. The mortgage delinquency rate (the portion of borrowers three months behind on payments) is 5.78 percent, compared with 8.78 nationwide, according to First American CoreLogic. That's partly because relaxed zoning codes and abundant land kept both price appreciation and speculation down. "House prices didn't experience a bubble in the same way as the rest of the nation," said Anil Kumar, senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. But it's also because of two attributes not commonly associated with the Longhorn State: financial restraint and comparatively strong regulation. Unlike many of its neighbors, Texas has state laws that prohibited consumers from using home-equity lines of credit to increase borrowing to more than 80 percent of the value of their homes. The upshot: Dallas housing prices have fallen only 7 percent from their 2007 peak, according to the Case-Shiller index.

http://www.slate.com/id/2250999/?yahoo=y
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish they would quit writing articles about Texas. I know how good it is here. I don't need the rest of the country moving in and screwing up this great state with the crap they have pulled in other states. Very Happy
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riiight! They move here and still vote democrat.
They should keep that stuff in Ohio or Illinois.

RIP M.H.Legge
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Christie is taking the bull by the horns here in NJ and seems to be making progress with public support considering how voting went down yesterday in the school board elections.

WSJ article is worth a read
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
but heading in different directions.

Not anymore... Environmental Defense Fund slipped one past your legislature and inserted some bad data they used here in CA to get SB 184 passed in your Legislature. I was just talking to my oil clients and you're a few years behind but headed in the same direction on Climate Change legislation.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/finances/noRegrets/

One of the downfalls of having a booming tech industry. The employees in that sector live in a bubble and are insulated to a large degree from the economics of the policies they promote.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh? i'm not that bright, so you are going to have to spell that out for me. i have no idea what you just said.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, Texas took a step towards adopting California-esque environmental laws. Probably won't go as far in Texas but this will help level the playing field between these states some...
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, let's see how that plays out in reality. cali is light years ahead of us in enviro nut jobs.
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

Last edited by _bruky on Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dlenz

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
fish6942 wrote:
Faust wrote:
Ditto on what J DOGG's questons.

Why isn't there a competing power company?

How many sets of power lines do you want running through your neighborhood?

It will still be 1 power company delivering the power. There will just be different billing companies. Houston has lots of billing companies to chose from. If anyone pays more than the cheapest rate, they are getting ripped off. All the new "power" companies are nothing more than new billing companies. They are middle men.

Center Point Energy delivers all power to Houston and surrounding areas. Reliant, Gexa, TXU, etc. will bill you. You will still have only 1 set of power lines.

only lived in houston for 3 years but its my understanding that rates WENT UP after deregulation. any comments regarding this? curious if this is accurate.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 26, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rates went up for Reliant customers. When dereg happened, Reliant was forced to shed 1.2 million customers. They also had to charge the price to beat, which was set by the state. I am not sure if the average across all companies is higher or not.

Reliant no longer has to charge the price to beat, as they shed the customers and the time line ran out for that. They are more competitive now, but i would not do business with them. Bottom line - find the cheapest rate and go with it. All they are is a billing company.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 26, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether Texas comes or not really doesn't matter, the Feds have taken note and this administration is quickly adopting the environmental policies that are in place in California. The playing field is being leveled and my state has the investment and infrastructure to excel.

So just understand as this administration progresses things get easier for California and harder for the rest of the nation.

That being said if you have business interests that produce GHG emissions I would consider hiring a lobbyist or at least make sure the associations you belong to are heavily engaged.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37554006/

video here: http://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mccombs-today/2010/07/texas-named-top-state-for-business-by-cnbc/
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press release: China - World's Economic Powerhouse.

Kidding, kidding, kidding...

This California vs. Texas debate will go on forever without a simple question being asked...

Why should I open an office in Texas? Exactly what are the benefits? Specifics...
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_bruky, without knowing your situation, i couldn't help you. if you are really interested in knowing if texas would be a good fit for you, shoot me a pm w/ your email and i'll put you in touch w/ someone from the austin chamber of commerce who can accurately answer your questions.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_bruky wrote:
Why should I open an office in Texas? Exactly what are the benefits? Specifics...

Significantly less harsh regulations, cheap land, centrally located, no income tax...those aren't important things to business owners and rich people like yourself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Add To Favorites

Jump to: