Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Good Wakesurfing Boat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walb0244
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Good Wakesurfing Boat Reply with quote

Trying to find me a good boat for wakeboarding. But am also wanting to make sure if I decide to start wake surfing that the boat will be able to do that as well. Don't mind having to add a ballast bag or two but want to make sure. Do most the wakeboarding hulls put out a good wake for surfing? I mean can you pretty much weight any boat down to surf behind?
1niceharley

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Centurion Infini-V hull is a good Wakesurfing hull. We have not wakeboarded or surfed behind our boat yet but I will say the Infini-V hull rides great in ruff water.
http://new.centurionboats.com/bin/Fline.html#view=3

kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking new or used?

Better surfing boats are generally the larger ones.... well for off the showroom floor anyway. Anything can be made to surf well with enough ballast, but you may have sacs taking up a lot of seat space.

Centurion and MB are probably the best designed for out of the box surfing.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be easier for you to list a few of the boats you are interested in and then seeing if people would suggest one boat over the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
walb0244
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own a 1991 19' Caravelle with a I/O. I am wanting to upgrade to a vdrive. Looking for something 2000 or newer for around $20,000 with wrap around seating. Haven't really narrowed it down to anything certain because of budget.
Airjawa

City: Dayton

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wakesurfing behind my '02 Centurion with no problems. The wake wasn't quite as high as I'd liked so I added 2 750 ballast bags for this year. I would think that you wouldn't go wrong with any vdrive out there. The way I found my Centurion last year was to keep searching boattrader.com and craigslist. With the economic downturn people were looking to dump their toys, and I was able to snap one up! Laughing
lakewakes

City: lake sinclair

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moomba xlv would be the cheapest wakeboat i think . i have a 06xlv and for the $ its a great boat , it boards and surf well. in 06 i paid 46k for the boat. Mr. Green
rc5695
Criminal
Criminal

City: Greenville

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an '00 Kamberra V-drive for $19k, and we LOVE it!!! I haven't surfed behind it, but loaded down the wake is HUGE.
TurboFan

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

08 SANTE 220 here. Stock ballast (940 total) + arrow sac in the bow (800 lbs IIRC), one in each of the stern lockers (750 lbs each, IIRC), all plumbed into the watter puppy balast pumps. I'm 6'1" and we kick a hip-high wake on me. I haven't gotten out my tape measure yet....

As for wakeboarding, average riders like the boat with no balast at all. Fill the rear tanks, and I'm pulling 6' plus air - haven't been able to land it yet lol
MakingaSplash

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Boats! Reply with quote

I think Kyle is right in saying that most boats can be made to generate good wake with enough ballast, but there is a balance that needs to be reached between boat occupancy and tank space. Hiding the tanks in lockers and other voids is prefferable to having large sacks smack in the middle of where your passengers / fellow boarders would normally sit, but buying a bigger boat in the first place reduces the need for ballast anyway.

Another serious consideration worth mentioning is whether or not you intend to board on the sea or just on fresh water. The design of a boat's hull has a huge impact on how useable a boat will be on the sea (some of the best tournament ski boats handle like cack if you take them out on a lively sea) so if, like me, you make good use of the sea most of the time then you need a boat with a deep-V hull or you will struggle.

I have a Mariah SX21 with a Jobe Addict 1.3 tower and that seems to do most things extremely well, but feel free to suggest which boats are on your shortlist and I'm sure we'll all voice our opinions on which is best Smile

Cheers

Mike

Wakesurfing
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your budget is 20k, look at an older Cent Avalanche.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: