Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2010 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSU gettin in on the action:
Quote:
the motives for Hicks' and McCarthy's untimely departures were made all too clear in the school's 55-page report to the NCAA on a litany of recruiting violations. They include improper contact with three separate recruits, sketchy housing and transportation arrangements and at least one direct (if relatively modest) cash transfer:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/LSU-self-reports-begs-for-NCAA-mercy-for-impro?urn=ncaaf,229945
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheating in the sec? shocking!

it's going to be awesome watching les f*ck that program up the next couple of years.
weatherford
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse coach in the SEC...& whats better is they have 3rd and Chavis now, Good-bye LES.
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1 wrote:
Bellotti has resigned as Oregons AD. Does this have anything to do with all the off the field troubles?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5009981

eeven73 wrote:
If I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet I would be less suprised than I am right now. Surprised Confused Confused Neutral

Seriously WTF

I wasn't surprised by this... no, I don't feel it had anything to do with the off field issues. The modern day AD is the CEO of a big business football company. Their role is to market the program and make as much money as possible. Bellotti is an old school coach. I don't know too many old school coaches that have the skills or desire necessary for this position.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Notre Dame's biggest recruits from last year, OL Matt James, died after falling from a balcony on spring break in Florida.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5051968

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the F lets their 17 year old kid go to a spring break destination?
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV wrote:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/23041408/detail.html

Quote:
Investigators said James was at the hotel with a group of about 40 kids and five chaperones. Police said he had been drinking and became belligerent, breaking items in the hotel room and arguing with people.

Detectives told News 5 that some of James' friends left and that he went out onto a balcony to argue with people in the neighboring room. Officers said that James leaned over the balcony(5th floor) during the argument and fell.
Police said they do not know where the alcohol came from or how it was supplied.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV wrote:

really? incredibly common here in texas. when i was coaching i scheduled a trip to play 2 teams in baltimore/dc over spring break and i couldn't believe that i had to take into account the 5 or 6 players who were going to Bubb Rubbing cancun for spring break. high school kids going to cancun for spring break. wtf? i can't believe so many parents think it's ok to send your kid off to padre for 3 or 4 days w/ their friends, but if you've been to padre, you know it's been 50% hs kids for a decade now.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess most of the high school kids in padre live in Texas though. They go there throughout the year, not just spring break. Technically, that doesn't make them any more safe or anything; but I just hate the idea of buying plane tickets for your high school son or daughter to go to the MTV-approved spring break locales...cancun, panama city, cabo, etc. I understand wanting to get out of Cincinnati and find a beach, but send him to California or some tourist resort in Mexico...basically anywhere where it's not just a clusterf*** of drunks where there's no challenge whatsoever to get copious amounts of alcohol and they're trying to keep up with college kids. You can't keep kids from drinking, but sending them to SPRING BREAK!!! is just plain dumb.

You should ask those parents what they really think their kids are doing in Cancun. I'd be curious to know how many were able to trick their parents into thinking they're going to get a tan and learn how to surf, or how many parent's know the truth and let them go anyway.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for funsies

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=pollindex&pollId=84738
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something to look at.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370321-2010-college-football-preseason-top-25-rankings-the-spring-edition#page/1

1. Alabama
2. Boise State
3. tOSU
4. Texas
5. Oregon
6. Iowa
7. Va Tech
8. TCU
9. Florida
10. Nebraska
11. Oklahoma
12. Miami
13. Wisconsin
14. Georgia Tech
15. UNC
16. USC
17. Arkansas
18. Houston
19. South Carolina
20. Connecticut
21. Penn State
22. West Virginia
23. Florida State
24. Navy
25. Oregon State
weatherford
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Carolina is RANKED??? WTF Shocked

On a side note, I will say I believe this is someone else's year to win the NC other than the SEC...JT, I truely believe your longhorns will be favored all year & should* win it!
weatherford
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN is going to have a bad year I feel, but we will see stranger things have happened.
The show-down with Oregon may give us some momentum into the Florida game. ( I hope )
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherford wrote:
JT, I truely believe your longhorns will be favored all year & should* win it!

w/ a 1st yr qb? replacing 3 of the worst ol in the last 10 years? still no decided answer at rb or w/ the running game in general. no established wr.

i think not.
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preseason #7 again...hopefully we can start on a win this time, got another ridiculous top 5 opponent (last year was #5 alabama but we know how good they turned out to be...) in #2 Boise State. That would be huge. Dont feel too good about that game with Boise Returning 23/24.

This is our year offensively, we are unbelievably stacked, but its going to be interesting to see if 8 new starters will be able to hold down traditional Bud Foster defense. We gotta win a championship sometime, Beamer has been producing way too many good teams for way too long to not have a ring.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas is ranked too high. They should be 10 or so. sophomore QB, no RB, no idea of what our OL will look like. We may lose one to one of the North schools.

Oregon is 5. Is that before or after all jail terms are up? Very Happy

Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherford wrote:
South Carolina is RANKED??? WTF Shocked

On a side note, I will say I believe this is someone else's year to win the NC other than the SEC...JT, I truely believe your longhorns will be favored all year & should* win it!

for fux sake......
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait for football season..
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UW President Mark Emmert leaving to head NCAA

...Emmert has been considered a rainmaker during his tenure in Seattle. One of his biggest achievements was leading an enormously successful fundraising effort that had brought in $2.68 billion by the time it ended in 2008.

He's also been credited with recruiting top faculty, overseeing the continued success of the UW's medical school and, most important to many alumni, helping turn around a beleaguered football program...

Not sure how this is going to pan out for the UW football team, it sucks to lose him. The quote above is spot on, he was a rainmaker and very pro sports. Hopefully, we continue his legacy or replace him with someone similar.

This is probably good news for the NCAA overall, especially if he continue to be able to fundraise.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I'm pretty stoked about this, the Thursday night atmosphere can be awesome. Corporate and I (wives too) are headed up for the game, hopefully the stage will be set for an epic finish to Jake's roller coaster career at Husky Stadium.

The University of Washington will host UCLA in a nationally-televised ESPN Thursday night contest on November 18, 2010 in Husky Stadium, UW and ESPN officials announced at a press conference today.

"This Thursday night game is a great opportunity for our football program and our community," said Steve Sarkisian, UW's second-year head football coach. "We've always said that Husky Stadium provides one of the best home field advantages in college football and our players and coaches are really looking forward to feeling the electricity on such a special night. It will be the final home game for our seniors and what a great way for them to be honored. We certainly appreciate ESPN and the Pac-10 for selecting Washington for this game and we will do our best to make it exciting."

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is scientific fact Oregon Cheerleaders 2x as hot as Texas Cheerleaders

http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=77934d6c-2264-428a-8396-dc862605ec65

I am fairly certain this study was "Peer-Reviewed" Laughing

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
something to look at.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370321-2010-college-football-preseason-top-25-rankings-the-spring-edition#page/1

1. Alabama
2. Boise State
3. tOSU
4. Texas
5. Oregon
6. Iowa
7. Va Tech
8. TCU
9. Florida
10. Nebraska
11. Oklahoma
12. Miami
13. Wisconsin
14. Georgia Tech
15. UNC
16. USC
17. Arkansas
18. Houston
19. South Carolina
20. Connecticut
21. Penn State
22. West Virginia
23. Florida State
24. Navy
25. Oregon State

I have a feeling the post season will include a team I'm very close to in the top 15. We didn't lose too many players, and we have the best quarterback since Jason Campbell
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a bit premature Laughing Laughing

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5143606

25. Texas A&M Aggies It might be a leap of faith, but the Aggies could be one of the country's most improved teams this coming season. The offense will again be very explosive with quarterback Jerrod Johnson and running backs Christine Michael and Cyrus Gray coming back. Nine starters return on defense, including end Von Miller, who led the country in sacks with 17 last season. New defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter installed an aggressive 3-4 scheme during the spring as he tries to improve a defense that surrendered too many big plays last season. Improving A&M's special teams also was a priority during the spring.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H, if by "post season" you mean a bowl no one cares about, i agree. if you mean a bcs bowl, i think you are freaking high.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, that's more depressing than anything. With all the turnover on the good teams this year, Texas A&M has a returning senior QB, elite RB's, a deep WR corp, finally some OL help, and potentially the best defense we've had this millenium (not that that's saying much), and we're still no better than some random journalists fringe top 25 pick. Everything is set up for a decent year (how's that for optimism Laughing ); if we don't end the year ranked, the future could be bleak. I still don't trust Johnson for a damn as a consistent QB, so we'll see.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV, yeah, we do have a lot of reasons to be excited about next season. But I think we have enough trouble areas to question it also. Until it's proven on the field everyone is going to be skeptical. Generally teams in their first year of a new defense aren't polished. And when you're in the Big XII south you're going to get blown up.

We start off 3-0 with a win against what should be a pathetic OSU team and we'll start getting a lot of attention coming into the Arkansas game. That game is going to be as difficult as the OU or tu game and will determine the ceiling for our season.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H, you think they will be ahead of Bama or Florida at the end of the season?

Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about South Carolina, they'll fall out before long.

I do like Boise State running the table this year and possibly getting into the BCS championship game. They have the chops no doubt.

Other than that, the other big BCS contenders include:
Alabama: Ingram and a solid D
Texas: Some ? marks on the offensive side.
Ohio State: Will have to convince people they will not flop, Pryor is good, but will the players around him respond?

I will go out on a limb and say Boise State is the most complete team in the nation. If they get past Virginia Tech and Oregon State, they will trample through their conference play.
Corporate
Addict
Addict

City: The Cats in spanish

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porterwake wrote:
If they get past Virginia Tech and Oregon State, they will trample through their conference play.

Unfortunately that conference play is not exactly a high bar. They are no doubt a great team right now and I love watching them beat up on the ducks. I do not think they would not have had the same success last year if they had to play in one of the big conferences week in and week out. That said if they win out do the belong in an 8 team playoff for the national title? Absolutely. Since unfortunately that does not exist, I will have to say I am very skeptical about putting a team with a cream puff schedule in the MNC.
LFADAM

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate, Unless two other teams with a crazy hard schedule go undefeated, I think if Boise beats us (VT) and oregon state thatll be more than enough to get them in, especially with what they did last year (and in their bowl). That got them started with that high pre season ranking. And beating VT and OreSU would be two HUGE wins, not just solid wins. I have a funny feeling BSU could beat us in the first game of the season and go on undefeated to win the national championship...exactly like Alabama did last year.

The VT/BSU game is so huge. For us, it could make our season and give us a shot at the NC, for BSU its a must win. They are tired of going undefeated and not getting into the NC, and they wont get in without going undefeated.
Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there should be a playoff and I agree Boise State wouldn't have as great of a chance if they played in let's say the Pac-10. But where they are, they are going to make the best of it. They have one of the best coaches in the NCAA who has built a solid program. I'd say if they go undefeated, why not give them a shot?

So here is the situation I think. If two of the big four conferences go undefeated, they play the national championship. I'm sorry, but at this point I consider the ACC and Big East as inferior to the B12, B10, P10 and SEC. I would actually say the Mountain West is superior to the ACC and Big East.

But if Boise goes undefeated and there are not two other big time programs undefeated, game on for the Broncos.

Anyway, I would go with a 16 team playoff. 11 conference bids, 5 at large bids. Why not? Oh yeah, NCAA football is a sell-out.
LFADAM

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going to point out the ACC has 5 teams in the ESPN preseason top 25 poll.

carry on...
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: May 04, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09,
I think its ridiculous playing the guessing game this early, but the way things can go in the sec during the season, we could have a shot at a BCS game. I'm not saying it is going to happen, but it could. We have some good players coming through right now. And I'm an door knob who always has hope for his team
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: May 05, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM wrote:
Just going to point out the ACC has 5 teams in the ESPN preseason top 25 poll.

carry on...

and they will all be gone by week 3. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 3 of 47

Add To Favorites

Jump to: