Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

tower wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: tower wiring Reply with quote

Hey. We are looking at a couple different boats to buy and I was wondering how everybody has wired their tower up. Do you run it through the tower tubes? Is there any problem when folding the tower down? What kind of wiring do you use and what kind of connectors for the wire? Any help would be appreciated, especially on Moomba's towers. Pics are a plus too. Thanks.
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Mob V. We ran them through the tower then drilled a whole in the base plate so we wouldn't have to worrie about Gel Coat. I would give you a pic but i dont have my boat at my house.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as george, easy as pie.
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the base plate did you drill? Did it not mess up the mounting for the tower? I know how i'm gonna connect the wires to the tower. I just need to know how to thread the wires through the tower. I've heard the idea of tying dental floss to one end of the wire and sucking it through with a vacuum cleaner, then pulling the wire through. I just wanted to know what other people have done.
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Allan Whitaker, he has a moomba with speakers & lights. He helped me out showing me how he did his up with connections for stereo's and lights. He's got some pics that I found really helpful...He frequents this site fairly often so I imagine he will find this link soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cowie
Criminal
Criminal

City: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

We ended up doing the same as George, we drilled a hole thru the tower base plate ( between the two top mounting bolts) to avoid gelcoat cracking. Easiest way to run cables thru the tower we found was to drill a hole at the top of the tower where you want the cbles to exit (either on the side or bottom of the tube to avoid getting water in the tower), then thread a thin peice of building wire down the tube till you can see it at thru the hole in the base of the tower. Use a peice of coat hanger wire( or long nose pliars) to hook it out of the base hole. You then use the thin wire as a draw wire to pull the speaker and power cables up thru the tower. We aslo used rubber grommets to seal the holes around the cable. Has worked fine so far and looks neat. Once i work out how to attach pictures i will some pics.

cwb

City: ca delta

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey I just wired a pro flight tower on my boat . put the wires thru the tower. It was vaey easy , I did'nt even have to run string first. We just push the wire thru one set at a time. We ran two set of wires. Then a the base we brougth the wire out of the tower and in to the hull thru a small hole in gel coat, then put a hard plastic grommet in the hole. For the joint in the tower we used a trailer plug.

GOOD LUCK
CWB
Coach_Mike

City: Chicago Area

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Skylon Swoop tower for my Malibu Sunscape 23LSV that I'll be installing when the weather breaks. Cool I also got some speakers recently that I'd like to be able to hook up on the tower and wire so that I can have sound coming from just the tower.

The current stereo system has six speakers - four are wired in parallel for the front channel and two are at the base of the back seat on the rear channel - all wired to a four channel 200 Watt JVC amp.

I'm thinking that if I can wire in a speaker selector switch between the two speakers on the rear channel and the two new tower speakers that I should be able to isolate the tower speakers with the switch and the stereo fade control. Confused

Any thoughts comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drilled right behind the tower leg, within an inch of it.

My tower already had a small "drain" hole in the bottom, so I just enlarged it. Only about one inch of wires shows.

I tried the vacuum cleaner thing I sucked a whole spool of string down into the tube, but it never came out the other end. So I had to pull it out...

I finally used a piece of doorbell wire to pull the wire through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: