Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Where to go?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeHabanero
Addict
Addict

City: hagerstown

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Where to go? Reply with quote

Alright, so here's the deal.

and yes its outrageously stupid, so just bear with me.

I want to go somewhere where there is a good job market, and ok priced apartments/real estate

I've found out that school isn't exactly for me. I'm just not happy with it.

So what I want to do is just go somewhere, and slowly work off this debt.

my end goal is to open up my own pizzeria.

/stupidity.

help?

if all else fails, just join the military right? Rolling Eyes

key
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: AIKEN S.C.

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay in school. its worth it in the end. Arrow
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

key, I disagree - school is NOT for everyone.

I never did 4 full years and I'm very happy with my job and life at the age of 39.

LeHabanero, sorry can't help you on the job market I have been at the same place for 9+ years and have never looked for anything else.

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't been happy with school for the last...ooh i don't know...16 years. that being said i know that school is necessary for me to get where i want to be in life. i have a year and a half left before i take the bar, and every day i have to force myself to go. i guess my point is that there are things we have to do now that will pay off later. school is one of those things.

you ought to figure out how your classes can help you run your pizzeria better. if you have that perspective, it might make things more bearable.
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would move somewhere warm, that way, when you are homeless and on the streets, at least you won't be cold.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
key
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all cant agree on everything. i, like you, J_DOGG, went out and got a job straight out of highschool. wanted to get out of my parents house to "be on my own". all my work has consisted of factory work/production jobs. wished i would have stayed in school for another four or so. i also hated school so that was one of the reasons to get a job. so thats the reason for my comments. "stay in school", you will thank yourself later. if not,...grind it out with the rest of us.....
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you want to do besides own a pizzaria? Do you work in one now? what is your plan to get the experience and money necessary to open one? Figure that out and do that, I guess.

OR, go away to school and trudge through it while having lots of sex with college freshman girls to try to forget how much you don't like the actual academics.

ky1e
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeHabanero, head to central America and buy some dirt cheap ocean front land. I would say Bocas del torro, panama but I think the prices are already starting to get high because it is becoming so well known. Nicaragua and El Salvador are popping up world class waves every day and are still dirt cheap but won't be in 10 years. Surfing is all about going to uncharted spots until they no longer are uncharted. Buy a boat, get an oven and run private "surf tours" while living the dream in paradise. All it takes for people to hop on your surf tours is a good website. Anyhow, that would be my dream hahahahaha. But hey, I bet they would love some pizza down in those countries Laughing
ky1e
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:

OR, go away to school and trudge through it while having lots of sex with college freshman girls to try to forget how much you don't like the actual academics.

this is obviously the problem lol. I would do anything to be back in college.

_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different approaches you can take towards this situation.

College will undoubtedly brighten your future. Whether you call it academics or brainwashing, you will learn to step towards issues in an algorithmic manner.

For instance, my old man never finished high school. It wasn't for him. He's almost 60 now, successful, but he could have been more had he gone to college. This is not so applicable in current day, but thirty years back had he understood the basics of accounting and finance as well as law in the industry he operated his business, he would have made out quicker rather than learning through trial and error.

He's old now and wishes he HAD gone to college. Had the financial opportunity and even a scholarship from high school, but he didn't stop to think.

I'll say I've sat through classes thinking 'man, this is stuff/doesn't apply', but once you take that knowledge into the real world, you may perhaps make decisions which are not so...instinctual.

If nothing else, you can show up to the office and show the old dogs a few new tricks.
J_DOGG

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood - I have friends just like you.
I also have friends that did 4 full years got an accounting degree and can't hold a job to save their life or their marriage...LOL....

I have been a database developer for 12+ years and work at a big fat law firm in Boston - although our paths were kind of the same we ended up in very different places.

You could say I'm an anomaly - I make over 102K a year and never had a student loan to pay off....
I'd trade it all in to own my own business and if things go as planned in a few years I just might.

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_DOGG wrote:

You could say I'm an anomaly - I make over 102K a year and never had a student loan to pay off....

i think you are the exception rather than the rule. i have friends that didn't go to college because "school wasn't for them." most of them will end up working at the pizzeria instead of owning it.
key
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all about what YOU want to do down the road. think long term. like my mommy always said, "we cant make decisions for you, you have to make them for yourself." i on the other hand am strongly thinking about going backwards in this debate. ive got a good job now working here in brazil. my suburban in the states is about to be paid off. thinking of getting a job whatever that may be to get an apartment or something to be back home with my son. thats what is important to ME. ive been away going on 5 years now and have missed out on so much. long story short(kinda), dont think only now in this moment. there is a big picture to think about. so do just that,......marinate on ALL the possibilties!!! Wink
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated school so much that I nearly ran away from home when I hit 16 (the car didn't start lol).... but my parents had both came from real poor families, gone to school, and became somewhat successful, and everyday pounded it into my head to do my best in school and graduate... I guess it worked, I spent the next 6 years of my life forcing myself to go to class everyday and deliberately sat in the front to keep from falling asleep... now one year after graduating I am so so so so glad that I did it.

Come to think of it, I now have enough to buy my own pizzeria if I wanted and maybe even will, the owner of the pizza place down the street said he is going to retire and sell his place in the next year or two,
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea, if you don't like school, stay by a college town, find yourself a girl that is in a masters/phd/med school program, and marry her.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
key
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust, this is the point exactly how i was trying to explian it. its so worth it in the end. i kick myself in the arse daily for not staying in school.

Broccoli B, Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and yet somewhat disagree with you guys.

College is not for everyone. I have a few cousins and friends who are NOT the academic learning type. Two became cops/state troopers after some college, one worked cleanign gutters and started his own business doing that, and makes a very good living. Another joined the family business and is an HVAC engineer in manhattan and makes a very good living.

I guess I agree overall that college and an education is awesome (especially for learning how to think in general) but some people do better not in college.

My 1 year old son, when he's 18, if he doesn't want to do college, I would accept that and encourage him in a trade... mechanic, plumbing, custom chopper bike building (haha), etc. But I would rather he went to college, THEN picked up a trade if the jobs he prepared for in college are not for him.

Myself, I was a HORRIBLE undergrad student. But years later, now that I have a goal and know what I want to do, I'm a 4.0 grad student and I like school. same thing when I went back to study biology and botany for fun. I found out that I learn differently and using different strategies, was able to pull perfect As. idk.... motivation and having a goal that YOU want, not just that your parents want for you, helps.

Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, I agree, I didn't finish my Bachelors degree until I was 26. Took me that long to realize i needed it.

lcap wrote:
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not saying that everyone needs to go to college. we need plumbers, welders, and mechanics too. i'm just saying that LeHab could probably benefit from the college experience as well as the material that he will learn. hell, get a job at a local pizza place a few days a week, and see what they do wrong. between working part time in the pizza game and taking classes in business management, marketing, and entrepreneurship among others, i would think you'd be miles ahead of where you would be if quit school.
DCdave56
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Central Cali

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, I am able to crawl inside someone else's skin and appreciate what they are going through but... this time I'm having a tough time of it. I have a job that I love, I make a modest salary with huge amounts of vacation time. But I would gladly go back to college in a heart beat. I worked from 8-12 each morning, went to class until 3 or 5 depending on the semester, played football, partied and banged hot chicks for 5 years. My worst year in college was better than my best year as a working stiff. Maybe you just aren't having the same experience I had. Sitting through a couple of hours of class was worth it to me when I knew that I'd have a cold beer and access to large groups of hot chicks when I got out. You will never again have the chance to live in a dorm setting with girls that are on their own for the first time and have the same mentality that you do. Live it up fool!
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're already in school, stay in school. Period. 5 years from now, I'd rather look back and say, "well crap, I didn't need college to be where I'm at today. That was a waste of money" than to drop out with the possibility--however slight--of regretting it. I've never heard of anyone being worse off with a college degree. Stick with it, man. My freshman year sucked too. In fact, my sophomore year wasn't so great either. The last 3 were a non-stop party, and I have an engineering degree and enhanced life skills/experience to boot.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay in school. Wish I had. I work full time and go to school full time. I have a long ways ahead before I'm done with my degree and it sucks trying to juggle the two. Until your in your thirties, school will trump experience when pursuing a job. The problem is getting that experience without the degree. I was lucky and had an in, but I'm still plugging away at that degree just in case I need to fall back on it someday.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCdave just about summed it up perfectly.
DCdave56
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Central Cali

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cameraboy, I appreciate the rare occasions in which the two of us see eye-to-eye on a given topic...
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on what you want to do and it sounds like you are pretty unsure at this point. I went to school for 3 years and can honestly say it was a waste of my time and money for the most part.
LeHabanero
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know much about the tree planting business?

Its always been a dream of mine to go to canada, and work my ass off all day planting trees (nohippy)

from when to when does the season last, and how hard is it to get hired

and yes I realize that you get paid like 8 cents per tree.

If the season was from late spring to fall, it would be perfect because I could come home and work at the slopes for the offseason.

and please, lets not make this thread totally about the school. I want to know my options so I can weigh it all for myself.

As of know I'm planning on going to school next semester to see if I feel any different about it. As of now I'm going to become an art teacher, because that's all I can really see myself doing and enjoying from a college career.

as for the pizzeria, I have some family that owns their own businesses so I know that it is complete hell.

Hollywood

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeHabanero wrote:
I want to know my options so I can weigh it all for myself.

The world is your oyster, do whatever the Bubb Rubb you want.

dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50-something sociology instructor in college once told me he still doesn't know what he wants to do in life career wise. He was a cop before that. I bet if you asked 90% of the population if they are happy with their careers (fulfillment wise) and they'd say 'no'. My job isn't necessarily fulfilling, but it allows me to do fulfilling things!

I thought about going back to school to do something that really matters, but decided to pass so I can travel, pay off loans, buy stuff, live life, etc...

Why would you want a pizzeria if you know it will be hell? I know you said don't make it about school, but don't you think you'll be sick of playing jonny appleseed in less than 5 years? Finish college, then decide if you want to plant trees.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) LEAVE RIVERSIDE.

Then finish school. In this economy if nothing else it buys you time while the job market blows. If the JC or University track aren't your deal go to Culinary School since you seem to want to be in that industry. But I'm telling you right now, Eazy E knew what he was talking about and dropping out will take that opportunity from you.

LeHabanero
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal, I already left riverside. I was out there going to art school. But the cost became too much so I had to withdraw from there.

As of now I'm back home in hagerstown MD going to community college. The plan was to get my basic credits out of the way here, then transfer and finish out at a respected 4 year school.

dirtysparks, I want the pizzeria because it could be something I could build up from nearly nothing, hopefully branch out into 2 or 3 more shops in neighboring towns, then pass down the shops to my kids to do with whatever they want when I pass.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeHabanero, go to culinary school then...
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pizzeria would be a fun time. I worked at a little pizza joint in the summer right on the lake called Zorbaz. It's a Minnesota lake community thing, but anyway....that place was always busy...had a bunch of beers on tap. Very very casual, you could come in wearing trunks and flip flops. Great little business model he had going for him, I would have loved to own that. All the owner did was wonder around and talk to people all night, and do a little bookkeeping and purchasing.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think you can make pretty good money tree planting. One of my best friends did that for about 2-3 summers during school and made lots of money for the amount of time they spent working.
LeHabanero
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, how much do you consider good money? do you know if you have to pay for your food when at their camps?

dirtysparks, do you know of any schooling that guy has had?

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeHabanero, I think Tom Hanson (founder of Zorbaz) was a speech teacher or something like that.

dirtysparks, which one did you work at?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: