Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

**26ft Up -> Flat Slider** Floating on 15' Larson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna, British Columbia

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: **26ft Up -> Flat Slider** Floating on 15' Larson Reply with quote

So! It's fall now and I've finally started my slider build. It's a floating slider on an old 15' Larson Shell.

I started the frame using steel square tubing by cutting and welding it into the A-Frame shape. That is then mounted inside the boat and covered with 3/4" plywood. I angle out the sides by framing in 2x4's and sheet that aswell. Once everything is sheeted i then sand and seal the cracks with Silicone sealant. After sealant is dry sand everything smooth again and paint with Weatherproof Acrylic-Latex outdoor pain.

The entire rail will be 26ft long and is too long to trailer. Therefor i've hinged just over 2 feet of the slider so it can be flipped up for transport. And the front clears the tailgate without any problems.

Cost so far:
$250 For boat and trailer
$250 for lumber, screws, sheeting and paint.
Total: $500

Materials
- 1/8" Steel Angle Iron
- 1/8" Square Tubing
- 3/4" Plywood
- A sufficient amount of lumber
- PVC Sheating 26 Linnear ft x 9.5"w
- A gangster 15' Larson Hull w/ Trailer
- Weatherproof Decking screws
- Silicone Sealant
- Primer/Sealant Weatherproof paint. 1gal

Tools Needed (so far)
- Angle Grinder
- MIG Welder
- Power Drill
- Reciprocating Saw
- Skill Saw
- Caulking Gun

I'll keep everyone updated on the build as I go about it.

Last edited by curtblanchette on Jan 19, 2010 1:50 pm; edited 13 times in total
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Build DaY 2 Reply with quote

This is what the stilts will all look like when i'm finnished with them.

So far i've got one cut and welded to show you.

Last edited by curtblanchette on Oct 26, 2009 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: frame almost complete Reply with quote

Still slaving away....

Body of the frame is almost complete

Last edited by curtblanchette on Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: A boat! Reply with quote

I was scanning my local classifieds today and found this old fiberglass boat hull for $50 !!! Here's a link to the add. Tell me what you think, has anyone attemted this before with this kind of a boat??

http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/556399/cat/293
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our ghetto fabulous glastron kicker\slider combo project from 3 or 4 years ago. First pic is finished product, second is how we bought it for $50:
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is totally doable. Use a reciprocating saw to cut out the windshield area, build the frame, plywood the sides so you don't kill yourself, then put down your sliding surface. Hardest part for us was anchoring it down good enough so it didn't sail away.....it was a bit tall. Twisted Evil
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on dude. Thats an epic kicker/slider! That thing is Super tall.. How stable was your rig in the water? Did it seem to be very tippy? Did you need to add any additional weight in the boat to stabalize it?

Thanks, i feel more comfortable buying this boat now. Only problem is that it doesnt come with a trailer wich SUCKS!

BTW does anyone know how much TREX planks would cost from home depot? This sh*ts gotta be tiightttt lol
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtblanchette wrote:
Right on dude. Thats an epic kicker/slider! That thing is Super tall.. How stable was your rig in the water? Did it seem to be very tippy? Did you need to add any additional weight in the boat to stabalize it?

Thanks, i feel more comfortable buying this boat now. Only problem is that it doesnt come with a trailer wich SUCKS!

BTW does anyone know how much TREX planks would cost from home depot? This sh*ts gotta be tiightttt lol

All the lumber that made up the ramp structure made it pretty darn heavy. All that weight made it really stable. No extra weight needed. I'll have to see if I can dig up the videos of us hitting it.

Definitely going to need a boat or flat bed trailer if your rail needs to be portable. Laws of body of water causing you to go the floating route?

TREX planks are pricey. I just built a portable incline rail last weekend and bought some. The trim boards which are the perfect width in my opinion are $42 each for a 12 foot section at Lowes. With the trim boards you only need one since they are super wide. If you go with the 2 x 4 size, they are $21 each and you would need two of them anyway. Plus they are thicker so they weigh more. Trim board is the way to go.

Here is a pic of one of the two rail sections out of the water.

Other pic is of my buddy riding it after we put two 12 foot sections together. You can see how the width of the trim board is just right.

curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks again.And yes those darn Body of water laws ARE causing me to make this raft!

Last edited by curtblanchette on Oct 28, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: My New Vessel Reply with quote

A friend of mine just happen to have this beautiful 15' Larson & Trailer Combo so i had to buy it from him. Got a reasonable deal for $200. CHECK IT OUT

Everything is coming together beautifully. But I'm off to vegas for a week leaving monday so won't be another week until i finnish this monster.
I'm thinking i'll put my 450lb fat sac in the floor and fill it until it sits nice and low. Seeing as i won't need it next season with the 09 wakesetter lsv. here's a little video (poor quality)....

Last edited by curtblanchette on Oct 29, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: My New Vessel Reply with quote

curtblanchette wrote:
A friend of mine just happen to have this beautiful 15' Larson & Trailer Combo so i had to buy it from him. Got a reasonable deal for $200. CHECK IT OUT

Everything is coming together beautifully. But I'm off to vegas for a week leaving monday so won't be another week until i finnish this monster.
I'm thinking i'll put my 450lb fat sac in the floor and fill it until it sits nice and low. Seeing as i won't need it next season with the 09 wakesetter lsv. here's a little video (poor quality)....

Slider is looking good man. Make sure you plywood the sides so you don't break something.

curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha for sure dude. Wouldn't want to get an arm or a head caught in there. Shocked
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Back from vegas, went straight to Home depot! Reply with quote

we braught the bare bones down to the launch to test everything and get some measurements . Heres a shot

After bringing it back to the house i've mounted the steel frame inside the boat by framing up inside the hull and screwing it all together.

After this I layed 3' 2x4's on either side, and sunk them into the boat trim using an angle grinder and cut some fiberglass out just enough for it to be flush. Sheeted with 3/4' ply wood this thing is very solid.

Not long now i'll have it ready for paint! I baught a $50 gallon of white primer/sealant latex paint. a good friend of mine is an amazing spray artist is going to finnish it up. Cant wait for those pics
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sheating this weird angle and noticing the distance from the trailer to the truck this is going to be about 10ft up, to 16ft flat. /=====

Last edited by curtblanchette on Jan 18, 2010 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good man. Going to be a nice hit. Keep the pics coming.

Here is my latest: 36 foot incline pulled via winch with an exit ramp onto a landing area. Winches really open up the possibilities!

curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texaswakerep, Nice incline that thing looks fun as hell. I've got the whole boat sheeted now. i'm going to start sealing the gaps between the plywood with 502-LSW self leveling sealant to keep moisture and water out. I then need to sand everything afterwards before paint. It's just too cold to be painting here in BC right now. I'll need to see if i can fit this in my garage.

Is that PVC sheeting you've mounted on there? I'm thinking of just laying a 2x6 down the center of my slider and screwing pvc sheating onto that, so it's got that solid wood feel to it. Either that or is there a dense solid wood i could use that will slide and won't ding and dent too bad?
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope ur hinges are under the waterline enough..
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hinges will be out of the water and covered by a wood 2x10 which will then have PVC sheeting on top. That steel tubing isn't what we'll be sliding on. The joint section is out of the water by at least 6 inches. That's why it extends, so you get that end lower in the water.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha, i thought ur topdeck was gonna be pvc to steel
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here you can see it with the full surface attached (without pvc plastic yet). Its 10ft up to 16ft flat with 9.5" wide surface. I still have to close in the stern but it's getting cold as you can see.

curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By adding some bolts to the 10ft slide surface, I can detach it from the frame and flip up the tail for trailering. This way i also don't need to worry about supporting the tail when in use because the 2x10 surface is holding it up in place when bolted.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your slider project is really interesting. it seems like you have put a lot of hard work, effort and planning into its development. can't wait to see the vids when you get to hit it. nice work so far
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mgs917, I appreciate your interest. Were goin to have a little rail jam here with a friend of mine from www.DiveZero.com video magazine and get some real good shots. But summer's still a longways away. Thanks again for the support
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgs917 wrote:
your slider project is really interesting. it seems like you have put a lot of hard work, effort and planning into its development. can't wait to see the vids when you get to hit it. nice work so far

+1

Looking good

curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: snow Reply with quote

well it's snowing so project is put on hold for a bit. be sure to check back for updates in a few weeks

HAPPY SHREDDING
Liquid*Force*Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Okanagan Valley, B.C Canada

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, keep em coming
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liquid*Force*Rider, feel free to come jam it once its done dude. Most likely on okanagan. first thing of the summer just throw me a PM
wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sønderborg Denmark

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say thanks for the inspiration, have started a similar project myself. and found you solution to be the best combo of easy to build, while on a budget.

building it out of old discarded wood and scrap metal.

Pics coming as soon as i find a way to kompress my pictures to 256 kb.

Pictures are in my gallery
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemads wrote:
Just want to say thanks for the inspiration, have started a similar project myself. and found you solution to be the best combo of easy to build, while on a budget.

building it out of old discarded wood and scrap metal.

Pics coming as soon as i find a way to kompress my pictures to 256 kb.

Pictures are in my gallery

Right on Wakemads! That thing is looking great man. Keep up the good work. If you have any questions at all just send me a PM and i'll be sure to help.

It's looking solid. Have you got a trailer for it yet?
wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trailer. don´t need one.

Put in the water and tow it with our boat, to the anker place. then we will park it on our own privat beach if it needs to get out of the water.

The metal frame work is made out of 50x50 square metal tubing. "Will never Break" but might Rust eventually. It is gonna sit in Saltwater. so it will get a proper paint job.

Calculated the weight for the complete frame to be 120 kg for the metal and approx. 150 kg for the wood. might need a float under the ramp going up, to keep it stable.

The boat is rated to hold 450 KG afloat. have double check this claim with my own calculations. And the rating is a bit conservative its more like 600kg.

It is a little bit complicated when you make drawings etc. But hey get to use all the math you thought you would never use when you learned it in High school.
wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been making drawings for the plate to fasten the timber to the metal frame. gives and idea of how its gonna look.

The plates will be cut out of 8mm steel plate with bolt holes and all, using a automatic plasma cutter.

Next weekend the metal frame will be bolted together with the wood for the slider.

then i only need to figure out the accent and how to fasten the plywood sides.

Another 2-3 weekends and it should be finished. except for the paint job.
wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished the frame

still to do.

1) attach the slide tubes. found some carpet plastic tubes. in 4 meter lengths. Payed 1,5 USD per meter. bought 16 meters. two tubes next to each other. diameter pr tube is 10.5 cm.

2) paint the hole thing, metal etc, to give it some protection against the elements.

3) build a frame for the sides, and attach sides.

4) hoping the snow goes away, and the summer and season can begin,can`t wait Very Happy
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks too steep. I would make it more gradual before you get too far ahead. your gonna smash into that thing at 20mph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: