Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

01 Ski Nautique for Wakeboarding - Ballast & Tower Exten

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaaaaamie

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: 01 Ski Nautique for Wakeboarding - Ballast & Tower Exten Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post here, but I think its probably the best place to ask for advice.

My Dad has a 2001 (year not model) ski nautique. He bought it before getting into wakeboarding properly, and as he isn't good enough to see justification in selling and buying a wakeboard boat, it means that I have to wakeboard behind a ski boat! I have decided to do some modifications to optimise the boat for wakeboarding.

I basically want to fit an automatic ballast system, and an extension to the already fitted tower for more height.

Firstly with the ballast, there is loads of room under the rear seat, and to the sides of the fuel tank in the rear, and loads of room in the bow, but the floor either side of the engine seems sealed (or at least too difficult to remove) so the only areas in the middle around the engine to add weight are between the engine and the bow, theres 2 storage compartments that could maybe hold 200lbs between them.

Seen as the engine is in the middle, can I just add weight to the rear and front? And if so how much would be enough?

I cant seem to find any information about ballast on our boat, but then again it is a ski boat!

The second thing I would like to do is add an extension to the tower to increase the heigh of the line. Would I have to add a line from the extension to the bow to take the strain?

And I would guess the tower is 7ft (about 1ft clearance to a 6ft persons head) so how much height should I add? 3 or 4 ft?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Its much appreciated.
Jamie
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO i dont think you need an extension to an already 7ft high towpoint, but thats just me
jaaaaamie

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a very easy and cheap to do project, which I've read will make a lot of difference in my situation.

The ballast is my main focus for now tho. I will measure up all the space tomorrow to get some kind of idea of how much weight I can fit.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, seriously... your tower is high enough to not worry about it.

The Malibu Illusion tower isn't 7' and I would imagine my Skylon isn't much if any higher... and I am pretty sure the XTP on the Supras are not much more that 6.5'.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The towers fine - Adding extensions are pretty pointless... they make the boat look odd and will make it very hard for you to ride behind another persons boat.

Ballast will help with the wake whilst things like stereos and heaters will make for more enjoyable time out on the water...

May I ask where abouts you are and what kind of water you're using it in?

jaaaaamie

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've been busy with work over the weekend.

To Brit Rider - Im from north wales, and wakeboard on the conwy estuary which is a mix of salt and fresh water. We launce near the sea, where its full on salt water, but wakeboard quite far up the estuary where its usually pretty fresh. We clean down the whole boat and flush out the engine after every use as the last water it gets through is salty. We will be putting it in the marina next year, which means we can flush it out straight after use as opposed to having to wait to get home which is not ideal.

The 7" was just a guess, but I read that with a tower extension it makes it possible to get more air at lower speeds, and seen as our boat's wake starts flattening at around 23 i wakeboard at a slower speed than I would like. However I would imagine that this will change with ballast as the extra weight will mean the boat will need to be going faster before the wake starts flattening. The tower extension is just an idea which would be done after fitting a ballast, by which time I will probably decided its not worth the effort anyways.

I would appreciate any input on the ballast tho. As I said above Im unsure of where to add the weight and how much. I would like to fit the rear ballast first, and then when we go out next I can use the 4 80lb fatsac things and other weight if needed in the bow to find out how much weight to add to the front. I however don't have a clue so can't even estimate how much weigh will be needed, so don't have anything to go off to start the rear ballast.

Thanks again for your help and advise Smile
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaaaaamie, Ah, got the feeling you might be British!

I know the estuary well... I have several customers in the area. Its an awesome spot! We board round the Menai Strait, just further round the coast (Off beaumaris).

Ideally you want to be boarding at about 21mph behind that boat, so the whole 23mph flattening dealio won't be a big issue for you... add some ballast and you should be good to go.

You will want to put a 600lb or so sack in the back of the boat, and the same up front - then have a mess with the balance as to who full you get them. Ideally a 60% rear, 40% front weight distribution works well in a boat like yours.

wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sønderborg Denmark

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

I have a Ski nautique 196 from 2000. basically similar to yours.

You don`t need any extension for the tower. Just add some weight.

I Have the following fat sacks.

I have a 500 Ib in the back and one 250 Ib on each side of the engine. total of 1000 Ib

Plus three 3 guys in the boat, and it is rocking. not a proper wake boat, but as close as you get. You can do the same stuff behind it, it just takes a little bit more technic / Charging Wink

Heat and music is just extras, you add as you se fit.

But watch out, when you load it up, it is very easy to dip the nose under a wave. and you get a Bathtup of water in your face.

Also optimal speed for our setup is between 20 - 21 mph. depending on you own preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: