Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sanyo Xacti Waterproof HD Dual Camera Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Sanyo Xacti Waterproof HD Dual Camera Review Reply with quote

I just got the camera last Friday, and I've had the weekend to test it out. For the price I definitely recommend this camera for someone who's looking for something on the low end price range that they can take out on the boat. Professional cinematographers won't find what they're looking for here.

Pros:

Waterproof up to 3 meters. For me, I like the piece of mind I have with not worrying about keeping it dry.

Excellent color and contract under normal lighting conditions.

30x optical zoom. Best I've seen from a low end video camera.

Durable housing, well built, and it comes in two very bright colors (yellow and cyan) so it would be hard to loose.

Video settings are customizable. Not what you'd see in a high end camera, but very likely best you'll find in it's class. Spot or 9pt focus, Super Macro option, center, spot or multi exposure meter as well as a variety of default scene options to choose from.

Auto settings work pretty well, and adjust quickly.

Built in camera flash.

HDMI or A/V out.

Records on SDHC.

Rapid shutter is great for making sure you get the shot you want.

Multiple face tracking.

Cons:

LCD screen is very low quality, and requires you to trust your settings. Manual adjustments are hard to be spot on.

Doesn't operate with the screen closed.

Menu buttons are difficult to use while the camera is strapped to your hand.

Three separate sealed compartments instead of just one.

No multi-speed zoom. One speed only, and it's slow.

Internal memory is too small, and it takes a long time to transfer to and from the memory card.

Occasional glitches in recording.

Not the HD quality you expect to see, but technically HD. (you get what you pay for, and it's still not bad)

Lacks the option to select default storage options for pictures.

Still camera is worthless as night, and mediocre in ideal light conditions. Only capable of 2 mgps.

No lens cap.

Image stabilization is lousy.

Slow image processing.

Overall:

I'm glad that I purchased it. Now that I have the settings how I'd like them, it's going to perform the way I want it to. I turned image stabilizer off and high sensitivity off with video quality set to vivid. I definitely recommend the wrist strap. It's got a thick rubber cord and padded velcro that will never fall off if you happen to drop it. Here is some test footage that I uploaded. The video is compressed with low end editing software and the quality suffers, but I assure you even on my 50" HDTV, the video was impressive. There are much better cameras out there, but at the consumer level, you will not fine a waterproof camera that even compares to this at it's price ($325).

http://vimeo.com/6250314

franzflip
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice cam you got there, truly meant for water sports Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: