Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Weight to board type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skywalker022
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Tuscaloosa

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Weight to board type Reply with quote

Ok I know that I am probably to big to do this wake surfing but I was wondering if I have the right board for my size. I go a good 245-250 and trying to use an 08 LF venture 5.5. Is that board not what I need because I can't do any thing on it. If I let go of the rope then I stop. I try to surf behind my X-15 with about 6-10 people in it and no dice!
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not too big. I'm 250 and my buddy is probably 280 and we ride a 5.0 board. The Venture 5.5 should be plenty. Make sure you are pressing into the wave with your toes if you are riding toeside or hells if you are riding heelside. You have to get into the pocket and feel slack in the rope before you are ready to let go.

At what speed are you surfing?

Skywalker022
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iI have tryed any where between 9 and 11 mph. I know I'm probably doing something wrong But I don't have any body in the boat that knows any more about it than me.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go at least 10, to get power from the wave. Keep trying, you will get it!
Skywalker022
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it! But that never stoped me!
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.5 should be plenty big. The true test is when you shift your weight to your front foot to the point the nose is barely out of the water, does the board go foward creating slack in the rope?

Like already mentioned, if you are surfing with your toes toward the wave, slide your front more towards that side. This keeps your weight more on the toe edge which helps to keep your turning into the wave. A lot of times I see begineers trying to surf the wave as if it is pushing them from behind at a 90 degree angle which means the nose of the board is pointed out away from the boat. You need to be thinking about it more like you are constantly riding down the face of the wave and keep the nose pointed more at the boat. Having you front foot more towards the wave helps with this. Also, don't be scared to get close to the boat. I think the easies spot to learn at is with the nose about 1 foot off the platform. This gives you some room for error. As I said earlier, when you get in the spot, with your feet set up properly, start shifting weight to your front foot slowly. The board should start going forward (i.e. faster than the boat), before the nose gets barried. If that is the case you just have to find that happy balance between your front foot and back that holds you in the same spot.
Skywalker022
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9Ma n I have hit he boat! I have fallen off the board and landed on the rear deck! I have submarined the board while only standing on it with one foot! All things that I wish I wouldent do but oh well.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is 330+ lbs on a 5.0 foot board. Look at that path we are cutting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: