Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Engine options. To choose the upgrade or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C&L

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Engine options. To choose the upgrade or not? Reply with quote

Looking at a Bu.. Is it worth the extra skins to get into the monsoon or even the hammerhead?
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the boat. Usually I'd say Yes to the Monsoon for sure, especially in any V-drive.
C&L

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking at the VLX. Maybe the best is to take a demo with a VLX that has the 320 and one that has the 350. Thanks Dragon.
Blindside_137
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C&L wrote:
Im looking at the VLX. Maybe the best is to take a demo with a VLX that has the 320 and one that has the 350. Thanks Dragon.

Yep

We had the same question, and others (wow nearly 2 years ago now...)

If you plan on running a lot of weight at times, then the extra power from the monsoon and the right prop are going to make a big difference. I personally wouldn't go for the hammerhead because IIRC it was nearly twice the upcharge for us compared to the monsoon and it's been fine. We usually run about 600 lbs or so and I once pulled a buddy of mine with the full 1250 and wedge and obviously took a bit more time to get on plane, but didn't struggle.

Are you looking at the 09's or 10's?

_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't even put the 320 horse motors in California boats any longer.
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_bruky wrote:
They don't even put the 320 horse motors in California boats any longer.

That deals with nothing but the emissions standards... I don't think they can do the 8.1L's in California anymore either.

Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 07 w/monsoon and CATS, in CA, never had an issue with lack of power, even with full ballasts, 9 people and wedge deployed. I think the hammerhead is a waste of money, I would get the 8.1 before I would get the hammerhead anyway. I have heard of people who have had various problems with the hammerhead as well, but once the problems are worked out those that have them like them.

I think the 320 was not available in CA, no CATS.

I would definitely get the Monsoon if I were buying again.
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read on malibucrew that the Hammerhead is being discontinued in 2010, maybe being replaced with the LS3, don't know for sure if thats true just passing along some info you might want to look into.
C&L

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating whether to buy used or new. I know that lenders will give a better rate on new versus used and with a new boat I can order exactly what I want versus waiting for the perfect used boat to come around. Your feedback has me leaning toward getting the monsoon since I would expect to run full ballast and sometimes a boat load of ppl. The extra horsepower would be nice. As of now I was looking at 09's didnt think the 10's were available. Went to the Bu dealer a few weeks ago and he never mentioned the 2010 and he gave me the 09 brochure.
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen 10's either.
I think buying used is a great idea, especially if its a year old and still has warranty, it would already take a good depreciation hit. The pre 09 VLX is on a different hull, although not sure its really a big deal as I have not heard much discussion on the wake being substantially better anyway, but I have not ridden behind the new hull so can't say for sure.

If buying used, just make sure to check in with the dealer that will be servicing the boat to make sure they will still treat you like family, the service part of boating is very important, possibly even important enough to consider a new boat. Also, maybe the dealer could locate a used boat for you and that might work out well for everyone as well.
J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and get the Monsoon and change the prop. I had a monsoon in a loaded up LSV and it was fine.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how much weight you throw in your vlx. I know someone with one of the new ones and they run A LOT of weight in it. They have to run to the bow to get it on plane now and then, and they have the middle of the range motor. I'd get the bigger motor myself, just so there's not doubts. Also resale will all look for the bigger engine.
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody would dispute that more power would be better, just whether it's needed. I suppose if you weight heavily for boarding or surfing it would be wise to go with a bigger motor however repropping would be a cheaper option although you would sacrifice top end.

The hammerhead is temperamental and not problem free like the monsoon, I would opt for the ls3 or 8.1 if they were an option.

I frequent the malibucrew site and have not heard any comPlaint about being underpowered with the monsoon.
Blindside_137
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on sandbagger.. I frequent the crew as well and the monsoon with the right prop will be just fine. I'd only go with the hammerhead if you plan on slamming the boat with full ballast or more +wedge and atleast 6 people each time you head out.. Plus as you said the new monsoon has 350hp and if 340 has been fine for everyone... the extra 10hp can only help Wink

as for going used or new.. I'm assuming you mean used 09 or new 10 but we all know what assume means.

As far as I know only the graphics have changed and the new G3 tower which is now lowered and raised with gas shocks.

I personally love the look of the 09 VLX with an XS tower and I'm not really too fond of the '10 graphics. But if you like the functionality of the new tower and plan on lowering/raising with only one person then I'd get the '10

johnsvt
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsoon in a VLX is fine...unless you are running stock + 3K lbs
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1235 to replace the 537 acme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an '07 VLX and we used to put 2 540lb sacks in the rear hatches and two 540lb's in the bow. With the factory ballast and wedge all the way down with a few passengers, it took every bit of that monsoon 340 to get the boat on plane. If you're going to run extra weight, get the monsoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: