Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Goofy foot Longboarder trouble wakesurfing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinggrrrl

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Goofy foot Longboarder trouble wakesurfing Reply with quote

Hi-
We have 2003 X2. Since I am a long time ocean surfer, my husband thought I would enjoy a wake surfing. That was 4 seasons ago, and I still can't stand up on this thing for more than 30 seconds! First off, we are surfing on the passanger side, since the wake is much bigger and a better shape there (off course with the opposite side tanks drained) Most of the people who have been on our boat have loved it, the wake is great, and they pick it up no problem, some even without the rope, after a few trys.

I want to be able to wakesurf, but I can't seem to get it. I am a extreme goofy foot, so its difficult to grasp anything left foot forward. Also, I feel like I am riding a twig, not a surf board! We have a 5' 6" early model Hyperlite board. I get up, and shoot toward the right,(trying to keep my weight on the rear foot, to avoiding pearling) as I make my way back into the wake(it seems impossible to get there), I fall, either towards my toe edge, or pearl face forward. Then after inhaling half the lake up my nose, I give up and watch my husband rip it up. And no, he won't get a longer wakeboard!

Any help? Back to the salt water and my 9' 2"?

I bought a Indo board to try to help. Any ideas to help me? Sad

thanks
BA
surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Stockton

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're trying to learn by riding switch. That's a tough go! Just treat the different sides of the boat as a left or a right break and ride backside, as needed, rather than changing your stance. I'll bet that resolves your issue.

FlyBoy Wakesurf - the most technically advanced wakesurf boards
Wakesurf
surfinggrrrl

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier said than done, guess I don't have much experience in left breaks. Probably 90% of my surfing in the ocean here in northern ca has been right breaks, not many lefts. I have tried riding goofy foot as well as switch, on the wake surfer. Switch, I usually take a nose dive, Goofy foot I shoot over the wake to the wrong side (no surfable wake on the drivers side, on a Mastercraft), or fall before I can make the left turn. Everyone who tried Goofy foot on our boat except one person has failed. We have newbies every weekend, since we are in ski club. How do you get up, and turn that quick?

any help appreciated Embarassed
surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Stockton

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ride New Hogan in Valley Springs if you and the family ever want to drag your boat to our lake, we'd be happy to give you a "lesson" and then you could take it back to your own boat that same day. We ride both sides during a typical day.

That said, a few things I'd recommend. First, even though it's crappy, weighting the starboard side would help you a lot. Or get behind a boat with a decent starboard wake.

If that's not possible, I'd bet that riding backside on the port side will be easier than trying to learn wakesurfing AND riding switch. From there, don't be in a hurry to throw the rope. Don't coil it around you hand - get up like on a wakeboard and then try to aim the nose of the board for a "fixture" on the transome of the boat. Find some point that you can visually align with - typically a corner and when you get up, focus on making that alignment.

If you are turning right, check your stance - you want both feet down the middle of the board and don't turn your shoulders like a slalom skier! Smile Your shoulders should be mostly in line with the length of the board. Once you have that pretty much in order. I like to tell folks to exagerate the weight on their rear foot when they first get up...then gradually equalize the weight towards their front foot until you can feel the board start to take off. That's your balance point. When you're riding, without the rope, you're constantly making minute adjustments - similar to driving a car - but small adjustments back and forth around that balance point.

I sure hope that's helpful.

FlyBoy Wakesurf - the most technically advanced wakesurf boards
Wakesurf
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the wave may be better on one side, I can't believe that it is not surfable on both sides of an X2. Weight the otherside (and the let the regular footers try their luck at backside) and give it go. As stated, unless your are naturally good a switching your stance, I think it will be easier to learn having your back to the wake than riding switch stance. Do you wakeboard? I ask because the problem with shooting out to the wrong side of the boat comes from digging in your heal edge. We see this more common in people without a strong wakeboarding background. It is hard for someone to weight the toe edge without bindings to go the right direction. This of course is only necissary when trying to surf with your back to the wake.

1. Weight the driver side and put all the people on that side. It may not be as big or pretty as the otherside, but it should be surfable. It also may require a slightly different ballast set up than the otherside. Even if you go back to always surfing on the otherside, it will be much easier once you get a feel for it.

2. If continuing to try on the passenger side. Once you pop out of water the water try to ride straight rather than weighting your heal edge. After riding straight for a few second then start to weight your toe edge to head in the right direction. If you still are struggling with this, it maybe helpful to get a longer rope and just practice riding the surfboad back and forth across the wake for a set.

5'6" is a longboard in wakesurfing, I don't think a longer board would help.
surfinggrrrl

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I wake board, and I notice beginners with the same issue, not enough weight on their rear foot. ( i never thought of it in reference to wakesurfing!) As far as trying the opposite side of the boat their is no way my husband will go for it. He says " there is no reason you can't do it on the left side" We typically have a full boat and you either get it on the left side, or forget it, next person. Seems like trying to wakesurf with your back to the wake is difficult for me, but comes naturally in the ocean. Maybe its the adjustment to the short, thin wakesurfer? I seem to have so little control on the wake surfer, unlike a wakeboard, or a surfboard.

Yes, I have tried it a couple times behind a Natique, on the right side, much more control, they also had a thicker more stable board. Thow the rope??? Yeah right

I like the idea of focusing on a point in the boat. Maybe that will help.

thanks for all your suggestions

BA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: