Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New to wakeskating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WilsonH
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Big Bear Lake

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: New to wakeskating Reply with quote

Hey I've never wakeskated and was thinking about picking one up... Worth the cash? I can wakeboard pretty good, but i've never skateboarded (always been more into BMX). Is it hard to learn if you arn't coming from a skating background? And if I do get a setup all I need is a board right? I have rope ect. from wakeboarding and i have some old shoes so I'm pretty much set right?
kriggs
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Palm Beachhh give me a pull.

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be really hard if you've never skateboarded.
But, if you can have good control on the wakeboard you will be able to wakeskate. But most of the technical wakeskate tricks will be a challenge.
And correct all that you will need is the board.
WilsonH
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks. I'm not really sure at the moment if it's even worth the money for me. I love wakeboarding so I'll probably just end up doing that most of the time anyways if I do get a skate.

How do wakeskates handle in chop?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a heads up, although skateboarding ability helps a lot, you dont necessarily need it. I barely skateboarded (could pretty much only ollie) when I picked up wakeskating and I took to at least the basics really quickly. I definitely wakeskate better than I skateboard. It's a little different for everyone. if anything, wakeskating has helped my skateboarding (or at least keeps me more motivated with it) so don't worry about all of that.

Wakeskating isn't that fun in choppy water since the boards are generally completely flat on the bottom, there is nothing to break it up so you feel pretty much every little bump. It is kind of fun though to time ollies with chop though to try and get a little more pop.

If nothing else, it's nice to have a skate in the boat to mess around on if you're having a rough day wakeboarding.
WilsonH
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be a good skate to get just for messing around/ having fun? I'm looking for something cheap but not kmart status.
Prizzy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a LF Anthem... there foam tops which is generally less harsh and better for a beginner and although it is not an awesome skate it holds up well and would be a great skate to have lyin around if your burned out and just feel like messin around.
WilsonH
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I'll look into one. The foam top means barefoot.. right?
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilsonH wrote:
Alright I'll look into one. The foam top means barefoot.. right?

I wouldn't recommend riding barefoot, even with a foam top. A couple of weeks back one of my riding buddies was riding his HL skate barefoot. He took a hard cut and slid out. The board flipped up, hit his foot, and dislocated his big toe. It was nasty and painful. He's been on crutches ever since. Wear shoes. Just an old pair of skate shoes or even sneakers are better than nothing.

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, Yea x2 on the wear shoes no matter foam or tape.
kent2010
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Needles

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then you gotta kick your shoes off if you want to step off and foot it.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a skate a few weeks ago. I came across a good deal on a Hyperlite Phriction and decided to try it out. So far I've had fun with it, even though I haven't quite got the boat speed worked out yet.

I have zero skate background and can ride it just fine. It's a lot easier to make some progress on than the wakeboard, because you can pick up surface tricks pretty quickly. Once you get into more technical stuff it's probably about the same on difficulty.

I will say that so far the falls hurt a hell of a lot less on it than the wakeboard falls I've had. That's a good thing, because I have spent a lot more time falling on it than I ever did on a wakeboard. When you catch an edge you just go flying, rather than coming to a complete stop like on a wakeboard.
WilsonH
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have old shoes so it's no problem.

Speaking of boat speed.. I wakeboard at 22.. is that fine for wakeskating?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilsonH, Like wakeboarding, it'll be a little different for everyone. Start at 22 and play with it up or down if you need to (it shouldn't need to go up but who knows!). You'll find a sweet spot where it's not too mushy, but not so fast that you can't control the board when you ollie. It took me a while to get used to but I like to ride a little on the fast side (I don't really know in MPH because I spend most of my time behind a cable or winch.)

brew, You definietly don't slam as hard as on a wakeboard but the real thing to watch out for is having the board hit you (actually, the worst is probably a '1 foot on - 1 foot off' scenario). I've had some pretty good shin bruises though, haha.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
brew, You definietly don't slam as hard as on a wakeboard but the real thing to watch out for is having the board hit you (actually, the worst is probably a '1 foot on - 1 foot off' scenario). I've had some pretty good shin bruises though, haha.

I haven't had too much of an issue with the board getting anywhere close to me so far, because I keep catching an edge and end up flying a pretty good ways. I did have the board slide out from under me last weekend and my foot ended up inside the handle which left a pretty nice bruise.
WilsonH
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, I've had my share of gnarly 1 in 1 outs with the wakeboard... I'm sure the skate isnt nearly as bad
mounger25

City: bushnell

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the hell do you get your foot stuck in the handle? i have had my arm stuck up to my elbow when i fall on back bigs, but never even come close to a foot. i would love to see a video of this happening.

anyway watch out for the board when you bail on wake to wake tricks. thats when it will chase you down and and hand you a concussion. and as far as the 1 foot on and 1 foot off goes thats how knee reconstructions begin.
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the hell do you get your foot stuck in the handle? i have had my arm stuck up to my elbow when i fall on back bigs, but never even come close to a foot. i would love to see a video of this happening.

anyway watch out for the board when you bail on wake to wake tricks. thats when it will chase you down and and hand you a concussion. and as far as the 1 foot on and 1 foot off goes thats how knee reconstructions begin.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come close to getting the foot in the handle. For me it happens when you loose control and the board slides out from under you towards the boat. You are leaning back against the handle so the first thing that happens is your front foot flies up in the air while your back foot continues to ride the slide out. At this point I know I am not bringing it back so I abandon the handle which almost hangs on my foot that is flying up in the air.
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't ever come close to that but i know what you are talking about now. i usually try to hold on as long as possible though and pull my self back up.

anyway this is the closest i have ever come, but i was just clowning a bit.
[img][/img]
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ getting feet stuck in handle. Never seen that happen.

I don't think you'll get hit by the board unless you're really being careless. I shinned myself pretty good for the first time a while back trying to see how many rotations I could get out of a w2w kickflip. Board landed on its side with my shins following right behind. Obviously not like skateboarding where you can just hit the ground on your feet and keep running.

Although I've yet to get hit by a flying board, whenever I hit the water I've made it a habit to throw my arms behind my head so the board doesn't come sliding into my skull. I don't know if it'll help when it happens, but at least it'll reduce the impact Laughing
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't ben hit by the board while it is in the air, but i have been hit in the head by it after i fell and came back up to the surface. however you are right about having to be careless when you get hit like that. it hasn't happened to me in like 5 or 6 years. because i have learned to stay under for an extra couple seconds when i fall and i think the board may have some momentum and be in the general vicinity of my face.

how many rotations did you get on that kick flip?
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I wast just obsessive compulsive about the board hitting my head Laughing

I don't know, I kicked the damn thing hard as I could without an intention of riding it out and I think it only flipped 2.25 times. I know it wasn't 2.5 for obvious reasons!

Kickflips just don't seem intimidating w2w. The board stays under you and stays straight. I'm more worried about getting hit on a w2w shuvit. I haven't developed enough to physically catch the board either with my hand or feet before I land and slip a foot off every single attempt. I think I would have a better attempt at landing both feet on the board if I just let the damn thing continue spinning all the way to the other wake. Laughing
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean those w2w shuvs can be sketchy. but i think they are easier to catch than kickflips. with the w2w kickflips concentrate on catching it with your back foot first. if i don't do that i slide out or get tossed off every time.

also, i try to spend as much time as i can on a tramp practicing every trick in the book. it helps my confidence a lot because i know what to expect from the board and my body because i have done it 1,000 times before i even take it to the water. it cuts down the risk on injury more than you would expect.

plus when you throw a new trick and land it on the first try you can brag to your buddies about your "natural tallent". Cool
iluvwhitecastle

City: Jacksonville

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on getting up on a wakeskate? I can get up no problem on a wakeboard, but have never come close on a wakeskate
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is almost exactly the same. just make sure that your driver gives you enough tension on the line to allow you to place the skate in front of your feet and keep it there. once you get to that point hold the rope with both hands and get up just as you would on a wakeboard.
iluvwhitecastle

City: Jacksonville

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I've been doing, but as soon as I feel like i'm gonna get up I fall just like when I started wakeboarding.
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mounger25 wrote:
i know what you mean those w2w shuvs can be sketchy. but i think they are easier to catch than kickflips. with the w2w kickflips concentrate on catching it with your back foot first. if i don't do that i slide out or get tossed off every time.

also, i try to spend as much time as i can on a tramp practicing every trick in the book. it helps my confidence a lot because i know what to expect from the board and my body because i have done it 1,000 times before i even take it to the water. it cuts down the risk on injury more than you would expect.

plus when you throw a new trick and land it on the first try you can brag to your buddies about your "natural tallent". Cool

I have k-flips down pretty well. I don't actually know which foot I catch the board with first, but I do know my back leg has to have some time to set up for the landing. I've landed with a loose back leg before and ended up with a good pulled muscle.

I'm going to work on my shuvs in about an hour. I'll report back Laughing
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair's still wet. Only a buddy and I on the water for four hours so we each got some good ride time. I took 20-something whipes, each and every one from a w2w shuv.

Starting to get the hang of it. Keep landing too far on the tail. Got pretty beat up but my last attempt was the only one I stayed on; both feet were on the back half of the board and if I weren't riding 24 mph, I probably would have washed out rather than butt-bounce off the water back into stance.
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that day sounds epic. i miss those 4 hour non stop rides with just one buddy. unfornatully for me im stuck in mw shop all day just looking at the wakeskates sitting on the rack.

anyway thats sick you landed it, and at 24 Bubb Rubb me thats fast. thats where i wakeboard at. unlike you i have never landed on the back of one of those. i usually stick it on the nose and face plant. i think i should just switch to late shuvs. hopefully i get to ride today. i was stuck at surf expo all weekend and i haven't ridden yet. it is torture
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvwhitecastle,

is it pulling you forward or are you not standing up enough and just falling back?
_bruky
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wakeboard at 24 as well, but I've got a really heavy bi-level and I'm 6'4, 200lbs~ myself, so any slower and any inconsistencies are amplified when the board isn't sitting high in the water.

I'm riding the same rope I wakeboard that's at 87' feet or something. I'm going to shorten it a section tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to go back out. If I narrow the wake a little maybe I can get some shots in.
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 6'5 200 as well thats funny. i have been riding for like 7 years or so and i haven't had any trouble at the traditional 18 to 20. however im not riding at 87 feet either. i used to ride all the way out there but if i bring it down to about 70 feet @ 20 i get a much better shape on the wake which allows for better pop for me. also for some reason 20 hurts a lot less that 24.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL @ getting feet stuck in handle. Never seen that happen.

It didn't get stuck in the handle. I was working on surface tricks and the board kicked out in front of me which sent my feet straight up in the air. One of my feet went up inside the handle and it snapped across the top of my foot. I've been pretty close several other times as well. For some reason I either catch an edge and come to a complete stop or I go over backwards and kick the board out.

I'm starting to get a little pi$$ed at this whole skate thing. Any time I get clost to the wake and try tricks I catch an edge and get slammed.
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds to me like you are leaning to far forward and that when you land on your board after a trick you overcompensate by pulling the handle up towards your face and leaning back causing you to slip out. make sure you keep your knees bent and you back straight and chest out at all times and keep the handle low to change your center of gravity. if you think you are going to catch a frontside edge just jump off and rotate to your back, thats why you have a vest on, and if you slip out throw the handle to the side.
mounger25

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the hell do i change this lame "newbie face"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: