Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

pumpless ballast with sacs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitsBoy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: pumpless ballast with sacs Reply with quote

Has anybody actually done a pumpless ballast setup before? Im curious to know what kind of pressure a 1" thru hull will generate at cruising speeds.

My setup is finished, and I'm hoping to put the boat in the water wednesday morning.

The setup works like this. I have a 1" thru hull scoop mounted through the hull, just to the port side of the tracking fins. I have a 1" full port ball valve for a safety shutoff. From there, I have a 1" Tee, , some reducers, and 5/8 hose barbs. I run two 5/8 hoses under the motor, through the bilge to the rear of the boat, then up and under the rear seat. The hoses have full port shutoff valves and blue adapters at the ends. This attaches to the bottom hole of each 540 sac on each side of the motor box.

The idea is that while under way, you open the inline valves hooked up to each of he two sacs. This allows water to fill the sacs. Once theyre full, close the valves and the water will stay in the sacs. To drain, while the boat is stationary, open the valves and gravity will do its thing.

If the proof of concept works well, Ill spend the money on upgrading to larger diameter hose. If the performance isnt quite what I was hoping for, Ill install a couple of aerator pumps inline to fill, and a couple more for drain.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would plan on adding some pumps to it. With the amount of time it takes for a system with pumps to fill and drain, this would take forever. Your physics is right though. You might as well go ahead and plan for the pumps when you consider the overall cost and time of the project.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking into installing an on-board ballast system in the ski locker that runs the length of our boat. We never ski anymore, and the thing keeps getting oil in it from the engine compartment, so it's wasted space otherwise. The pumps are not that expensive, so it wouldn't hurt to get them anyway; however, your concept does work just as well when the boat is in motion because I our washdown pump went out once and I just held the hose down to the spray off the boat, and it was flowing just like the pump does. I'm curious though, what are the logistics of installing a through-hull system on boats that don't have them? And what are the alternatives that still allow you to do it while the boat is in motion?
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, to answer your question, the pump was a 10 gpm, and the flow was about equal. This doesn't say anything for pressure though. My guess is that there would be no way to fill the sacs full if you use the bottom holes. They would have to be in the top where the water would just flow in, and not have to displace the water already in the sac. For convenience, you could run a separate hose from the bottom holes with a valve to drain into the rear of the hull, then pump it out with the bilge or wait till you've trailered for the day and pull the plug out.
GuitsBoy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did it. And guess what... It works great.

The 1 inch pickup is in the bilge area right in front of the motor (direct drive). We have it Tee'd, and fed into two short lengths of 5/8 garden hose, each about 4 feet long. They come up though the floor through the hole left when we removed the ski pylon. The two hoses have full port ball valves right before the blue waterbed type adapters that screw into the sacs. We did attach to the bottom opening.

It takes about 18 minutes to fill both 540 sacs full at 25 to 30 mph cruising speed. The fill rock solid. If you don't watch out, the pressure could easily force the fitting and hose right off the sac. The bags are about 3/4 of the way filled by the time we cruise out to our usual riding spot. One additional lap around fills them up completely.

Draining takes a little bit longer. It seems to take about 30 minutes or so to drain the bags. Gravity takes care of most of the work, leaving only about 1 inch. Picking the bags up and draping them over the side will drain the last remnants in a few additional minutes.

So anyway, the proof of concept worked, and worked great! Im very happy with the performance the way it is now, but I may still make a few adjustments. Firstly Ill need to make some sort or right angle adapter where the hose goes into the bags. Trying to get a straight shot with the bag is kind of difficult. Secondly, I may upgrade to some 3/4 or 1" tubing to open things up a bit. Thirdly, I may end up using my two existing attwood 750 pumps to drain the bags, that way we can start dropping ballast while we're heading back to the cabin.

Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome. Good idea with the drain pump. That should save you some gas and time if you spend much time moving from spot to spot.
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It takes about 18 minutes to fill both 540 sacs full at 25 to 30 mph cruising speed.

did you time that.

Seems like a long time. The sacks on my boat(bertha ballast system) with a pump don't take 5 min to fill.

GuitsBoy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the setup:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: