Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ruptured Ear Drum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brotherbrown831
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Ruptured Ear Drum Reply with quote

Well after two summers of wake boarding I finally had to go to the ER last night.. I was being stupid trying to throw a back roll, my skills are not at that level yet. It was my first time behind a real wake boarding boat. It was a fully loaded SANTE 210. THE WAKE WAS AMAZING!!

Anyway, I went over the front of the board and took the brunt of the impact right in my left ear. It felt like a sharp knife through the side of my head. At first the pain was insane, but by the time I got back in the boat it had come down from 8 out of 10 to a 4, so I figured I would be okay. Well about an hour later the pain started to get worse again, then I burped and started screaming it hurt so bad. If I burp or hiccup the pain goes from a 4 to a 10!

I went to the ER and it took the doc 2 seconds to know what was wrong. My ear drum is ruptured and draining, he put me on antibiotics to keep it from getting infected gave me some pain pills. He also told me to take a decongestant to help it drain. But he wouldn't tell me how long before I can ride again. I don't want to be out of the water very long but I don't want to cause permanent damage either.

Any of you have any experience with this?

GuitsBoy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruptured Ear Drum Reply with quote

brotherbrown831 wrote:
Well after two summers of wake boarding I finally had to go to the ER last night.. I was being stupid trying to throw a back roll, my skills are not at that level yet. It was my first time behind a real wake boarding boat. It was a fully loaded SANTE 210. THE WAKE WAS AMAZING!!

Anyway, I went over the front of the board and took the brunt of the impact right in my left ear. It felt like a sharp knife through the side of my head. At first the pain was insane, but by the time I got back in the boat it had come down from 8 out of 10 to a 4, so I figured I would be okay. Well about an hour later the pain started to get worse again, then I burped and started screaming it hurt so bad. If I burp or hiccup the pain goes from a 4 to a 10!

I went to the ER and it took the doc 2 seconds to know what was wrong. My ear drum is ruptured and draining, he put me on antibiotics to keep it from getting infected gave me some pain pills. He also told me to take a decongestant to help it drain. But he wouldn't tell me how long before I can ride again. I don't want to be out of the water very long but I don't want to cause permanent damage either.

Any of you have any experience with this?

Last year, I was riding about 10 days later, but with non-vented ear plugs. I now ride with vented ear plugs (docs pro plugs) almost every time.

_craig_

City: Troy

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing about a week ago but didn't go to the hospital, just didn't sleep much cause of the pain that night. I'm not thinking its something real serious, is it?? Next time I go out will i be fine just wearing an earplug? What exactly is a vented ear plug?
GuitsBoy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vented just means theres a small hole in it so you can still hear a little bit. Unvented completely seals teh ear.
kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine a few years ago, but mine bled quite a bit. In fact, it didn't stop for 5 days. I ended up going to the ENT (ear nose throat) doctor when I got sick of waking up to bloody pillows. I couldn't get back in the water for 4 weeks IIRC, but everything is fine now.
imshirazy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me, landed ear first in the water. It felt like it shot through my brain and out the other ear. I went to the doc and he gave me antibiotics too. I regained hearing in 3 - 4 days, and everything was fine in about a week. I wakeboarded again about 8 days after, but did my absolute best not to attempt any tricks that would make me fall. Each time I fell I just let go of the rope, avoiding plants, instead i'd just sink and my head would still be dry
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a helmet, with ear protection Smile

Friend of mine had it, not while wakeboarding but when he was riding an airbanana... then he suddentlky fell of right on his ear... very very painfull he told me Confused

City: Troy

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen these protec ace helmets with ear gaurd things. Any opinions on those?
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitsBoy wrote:
vented just means theres a small hole in it so you can still hear a little bit. Unvented completely seals teh ear.

Actually the ear plug is vented so trapped air in the ear canal will be released, they say it is possible to rupture the eardrum if air is compressed, thus why they recommend a vented ear plug. Maybe helps with hearing as well, I wouldn't know as I use a helmet with ear flaps, definitely saved me on several occasions.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ruptured mine a number of times. You've got to keep it dry until it heals completely, so it depends on how large the rupture is. Small ruptures are usually good to go in a week or so, while large ones take considerably longer.

I would go back to a doctor and have it checked out before you ride again. If you ride too early you risk getting water on the other side of your ear drum and causing a pretty nasty infection.

I thought I had swimmer's ear one of the first times I ruptured it from watersports. Poured alcohol down my ear to dry it out. That was likely the worst pain I've ever been in.
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
I thought I had swimmer's ear one of the first times I ruptured it from watersports. Poured alcohol down my ear to dry it out. That was likely the worst pain I've ever been in.

Laughing Sorry i laugh, but that must be hell...

City: waskom

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ruptured my ear drum last sunday, i knew right away what happened. I went to the er and got antibiotics and went monday to an ENT doctor. He told me not to let any water at all get in there b/c it could cause infection. It was very painful after an hour or so. I am going to get some swimmers ear plugs and go back nd just ride easy and try not to fall.
the_dude
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Long Beach

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this years ago. My doctor gave me a special wax/clay stuff to put in my ear that was waterproof if I was going to go back in the water. I never rode with it but could at least go swimming and whatnot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: