Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Suggestions and advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Suggestions and advice Reply with quote

This is my first post to the forum here. Thanks for all the interesting information you guys have indirectly provided me already!

I am going to be in the market for a used boat around January of 2012. I am a decent skier, but not a slalom master by any means. I would also like to wakeboard behind the boat and teach my children how to ski and wakeboard. There won't be any particularly skilled wakeboarders behind it, but I would like to be able to jump the wake a bit.

Most likely there would be four adults and four children in the boat when it is in use, so I need it to be big enough for that.

I would prefer an older boat in decent shape in the 7-10k range. I did read the budget boat sticky and that was helpful, but any additional help would be much appreciated!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 7 I think the only options are some older Supras. Around 10 you should be able to find a Sport Nautique. '95 and later do not have wood under the floor, so look for those if interested. Might not be really comfortable though with 8 persons, but for that money and what you're looking to do with it I think that's your best bet.
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Decatur, AL

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu Sunsetters have the open bow to seat alot of people. '93 up have no wood.

Got mine last year for less than $5k, added a tower. Wake is great.
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! I'll take a look at your suggestions. I'm really just getting started in wakeboarding, so a boat that would be dual purpose is great. Thanks, again!
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler, did you have to refit the Sunsetter at all or was it good to go?
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR, I'm pretty sure the switch to all composite construction (ICS) for CC was '93 actually.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAGON88 I think you're right. I probably said '95 cause I'm always searching for SuperSports that were made from '95 and on. I stand corrected!
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBCoach wrote:
Wheeler, did you have to refit the Sunsetter at all or was it good to go?

Boat had 440 hrs. Had to wet sand the whole thing, It was pretty badly faded. The rest was good. Had some "Wakesetter" decals made.

The key to getting a boat reasonable is when you buy it. Bought this one last October.

IMG_0888-46.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  64.94 KB
 Viewed:  16800 Time(s)

FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty fine lookin' boat you got there, Wheeler! I see you are from Decatur, so I'm guessing you got your name from Wheeler Dam, eh? I'm Bama born and raised myself, though I live in the St. Louis area now. I'll probably do my boat hunting in the Alabama, MS, TN area. If you come across any good deals down there let me know.

I truly appreciate the responses, guys!
cadunkle
Criminal
Criminal

City: NJ

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that price range to seat 8 you'll be looking mostly at older Supras, 80s and early 90s. Supra, as well as CC, went to all composite in '93. On both brands you'll see a sharp price increase from 92-93. Easy way to tell composite Supra is they have round windshields where wood boats have square (there are a handful of '92 model composite boats out there).

Have a look at Sport Nautiques and Mastercreft ProStar 205's as well. Occasionally you see one around $10k but usually a few thousand more. MC went composite in '84 (i think) so any open bow MC will be composite. If you have a strict budget no more than $10k I'd be looking primarily at Supra SunSport and Saltare.
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, cadunkle! That is helpful!

Ok, so where do you guys go to look for boats online? I know and have looked at BoatTrader.com and iboats.com. Any others that are equally as good or better?

Thanks, again!
Moon

City: Prosser

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.onlyinboards.com
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBCoach wrote:
Mighty fine lookin' boat you got there, Wheeler! I see you are from Decatur, so I'm guessing you got your name from Wheeler Dam, eh? I'm Bama born and raised myself, though I live in the St. Louis area now. I'll probably do my boat hunting in the Alabama, MS, TN area. If you come across any good deals down there let me know.

I truly appreciate the responses, guys!

Thanks, it's a alot of bang for the buck. We've put 40hrs on it so far this year.

I found it on Craigslist/Searchtempest.
cadunkle
Criminal
Criminal

City: NJ

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my search I used onlyinboards.com and Craigslist. onlyinboards is good, but most people on there are selling newer high dollar boats. I used Craigslist heavily and to make it practical for finding an inboard you need to use a search aggregator to search a radius around where you're looking. I use CraigsPal, a small Java program you install and it will search wherever you want and within 1000 mile radius. I found my Saltare in Virginia and if not for an aggregator never would have looked there.

Have cash in hand and ready so you can go look at a boat and seal the deal at any time since good deals go fast, like that ProStar 205 for under $10k in MD that I had to wait a week to go see since I was in vacation in Maine at the time. It was gone in 3 days. But be patient and don't jump on something just because it's an inboard for a decent price. The right boat will come along eventually for a deal you can afford. I was looking for just over a year before I found mine and when I found it I liked the boat, it felt right, and the guy took my old I/O in partial trade so simplified the deal for me. A boat is a big purchase that can become a money pit if you're not careful, no regrets if you're patient.
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! The advice you have given me will be very helpful. The more I look around, the more I like the old Supras, particularly the Sunsports and Mariahs. I'll get serious about purchasing after the season is over and the prices fall off a bit.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBCoach, the older Supra's are awesome boats if you find one.

Do understand that I am heavily biased and will only own older Supras. I'm on number 3.

I'll see if I can pull down the two I think you would like. There was a Sunsport for $7000 in Maine or Maryland that looked good. And a Saltare in Knoxville for $6500 that looked very nice.

Avoid the Mariah's if you can. I was an owner of one. While it was a great boat, for the same money you can get a Sunsport or Saltare. The size difference in the Saltare is great. Longer and deeper. The Sunsport is the same length, but has much more freeboard so it sits higher out of the water. This is great for ride, keeping passengers dry, and ability to add ballast later without sinking it.

Here:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/2466339698.html
Be sure to check this one's floor and stringers. It's platform shouldn't be that low under water. If he has ballast, okay. But be heads up. Maryland

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/2480016863.html
Looks good, probably get it for less. Wisconsin

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/2460324218.html
Another blue one. Texas

Saltares:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/2477711801.html
Very rare white.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/2404747683.html
This one will have composite/fiberglass stringers and floor. No wood to rot.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/2416003909.html
This one is priced too high for what it is. This is an $8000 boat/trailer at most.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2416028590.html
Very nice boat, a little on the high price side, but very nice.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/2430086787.html
In Tennessee, a little high on the price for an 86, but may be worth it if in really good condition.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/2441077228.html
Good price, nice new electronic ignition motor, but unique color scheme.

Last edited by Commodore on Jul 07, 2011 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Hey, thanks, Haugy! Very cool of you to provide that information. What's the problem with the Mariah's? I like the Saltare's, too, but they may be a bit too big for me. I'd love to have the capacity for a couple more people, though.

I'm pretty sure I will be going with an older Supra. There's something about them that appeal to me, I can't quite put my finger on it, but they do seem to be a great boat for a good price. Anything in particular I should look for when checking one out? Of course, I know to look for soft spots on the floor and obvious oil leaks. I posted on another thread here about a project boat and wondered what the cost would be to restore it. I truly have no idea about the cost to do that to a boat.

Thanks, again.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added Saltares to the list.

Nothing wrong with Mariahs, I rocked one for the last 6 years. But if you are choosing between a Mariah or Sunsport, it's Sunsport hands down. Like I said, they sit higher on the water with more freeboard (side height). So you can have more storage, it will ride better in choppy water, your passengers stay dry when running, and you can add more ballast for really great wakes.

Things to check:

-Floor and stringers, if either is gone you can bet the other will follow shortly. and if one is being replaced, both are.

-Engine, but check the freeze plugs, exhaust manifolds for cracks, signs of rust running down the block. You're looking for signs of freezing damage.

-Driveline: Check the strut (drive shaft goes through it under the boat). make sure it's straight, no dings, and no epoxy where it's attached. Those are signs it's been hit or replaced. Which if it has you have to be very meticulous in you inspection to make sure it was repaired properly.
Check the rudder as well.

-Check all electronics, and I mean ALL. Every switch, light, and fuse. Make sure everything works as these older Supra's work great, but just like most things they will need to be updated at some point.

-Check the interior for rot, under the seat cushions, in all the storage areas. Those will let you know if this thing has been water logged or abused by being left in the rain.

-There are a ton of threads on this that will help you know what to look for, I'm running out of time to keep typing. I'm sure others will chime in.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second haugy's inclination for the older Supra, but note I am also heavily biased. Check out the forum for Supra (although it's been down for the last 24 hours for some weird reason) and you can see what a lot of the guys have done with the older boats. haugy pretty much hit the high points on things to check. A couple others...

1. Check the gelcoat and anywhere you can see around the stringers for cracks. Cracks right along the area where the deck (floor) meets the hull and around key structural areas of the stringers are typically from stress from rot.

2. If anything has been replaced (seats, floor, carpet) find out more on why and how it was done.

Don't be afraid of one that is going to need floor and stringer work in the next couple years if you're at all handy. It's a very doable project, but will take a lot of time and/ or money. Obviously it would be nice to avoid that, but you might have to look for a while to avoid it.

FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks again, Haugy! And you, too, Okie! You guys are really getting my mind working (my wife might say that's a bad thing!).

I'm pretty handy, at least with house stuff and electrical work, but I've never even attempted working on a boat. Naturally, I would prefer buying a boat I could pay for, tow to a lake, and put in, but it might be kinda cool to build one up myself with a little help. At the very least, I suppose I could reduce the cost to me by doing some of the work myself. Dang it! Now I'm getting obsessed with this!

I have a cousin who is really good with car engines, who would probably do a fine job on the motor.

Arrggghh! Maybe I should just find one that will be good for three years or so and then think about rebuilding it.

Look at what you boat people have done to me! And I started off all sensible, too! Laughing
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBCoach, the thing you want to do is find one that could use some attention, not NEEDS it. That way you can enjoy it for the Summer, and then work on the things it needs in the winter before next season at a reasonable pace.

I just picked up a Saltare that was in bad shape. First thing I've done is clean it up (enough) and get the motor running. I'm on the lake now, and I'm not doing any more work till Fall/winter.

That's what you need to find. Don't find a wreck, just an older boat that needs some updating. All the boats I've listed for you fall into that category. Some may be worse than others, but they aren't total wrecks, or at least don't look like it. Mr. Green

In case you wanted to see a good one. Here is the boat I almost bought before I found the Saltare. I liked it, because it didn't need any real work. Just some mods that I prefer over the ones he had.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/2463222844.html

I've got a ton of pictures of this boat, and it's in good shape other than a few small cosmetic items (piping on captains chair coming off, driver side window gone).

Let's just say the price is not what is listed.
mikectm2

City: CHINO

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm appreciating this thread as well. how does a '90 Supra w/ 454 sound taking off compared to any newer wake boat(taking off) ...like say a 06 malibu wakesetter w/ Indmar 475hp, 8.1 Vdrive

is the supra louder, deeper, does the malibu sound tighter, just more bad-ass? ...does a '91 supra w/ 454 sound more bad ass?

thanxs
FBCoach

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, Haugy! I saw that one on craigslist, too. The price seemed a bit high. It's close to me and, if nothing else, I could drive over and take a look at it to get a feel for what I'll be looking for. It does look, in the pictures, to be a pretty good boat.

I swear, you guys are a godsend! I'd really have been in over my head without you.

Glad you are appreciating the thread, too, mike! I'm certainly getting more out of it than I thought I might.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikectm2, the older boats will sound much more throaty and deep. There is no question my Supra with a 454 rumbles louder than of the newer boats. It sounds awesome.

But the power output of the newer boats is much better of course. They are getting more horsepower out of their displacement, and getting better mileage with fuel.

But yeah, I do love the sound of my boat.
derek7217

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey haugy

i just bought a mariah and i dont know much about these boats i paid 2500 for it and it came with a new wakeboard tower i will only be wakeboarding is this a good boat for that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: