Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Popping out of the water
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
embmtxatl

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Popping out of the water Reply with quote

I am new to wakeboarding. I have watched several videos and thought I could do it. I was unable to pop out of the water. I could start to feel the board almost plane out but couldn't get it to pop over the final little wake to get me out. I am not sure if it is the boat driver or me. What speed should the boat be at to get the pop out of the water? We have a 21ft Bayliner 205 with waketower. Should I be trying to stand up or just hang on and let the boat pull me out? Do I need the center fin on the board? I have a 144cm board is it an issue with the board? We are hitting the lake on Sat. and I reall want to get it this time. Thanks for your help.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wakedork
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville, Alabama

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little more info would be good on the questions about board and fin. But you should defiantly be letting the boat do all the work.

Sit in the water with the board in front of you parallel to your shoulders, grasp the handle with two hands palms down. Place your elbows on the outside of your knees for stability. When the boat takes off it needs to get up to plane fairly quickly, don't snatch your arms off but a steady constant pull. The water should push the board towards you. don't fight it let it bend your knees to your chest, when the board gets to your but roll up to a sqwatting position, don't try to stand all the way up, when you feel the board is on plane then try to stand up, put a little weight on your back foot and let the board swing around so you are following the oat, pull the handle down to your front hip and you are on your way. REMEBER DON'T FIGHT THE BOAT IT WILL WIN. Laughing

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully in
her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakedork has got you covered. Since it sounds like you are almost there, I'll simplify it even more. Squat like a frog and let the boat pull you up. Don't stand up until the boat is going along pretty good and you are between the wake made by the boat. You could ride for several minutes squatted like a frog if you wanted to so don't rush it by trying to stand up too early. What I had to finally do was count to 3 AFTER I thought it was time to stand up. Once you get up a few times, you'll have the feeling down and it will just be second nature as to when you should stand up.

Until then, keep it simple.
1. Squat like a frog
2. Let the boat pull you up so that you are still squatting like a frog while the board is on plane
3. When you think you are ready to stand up, count to 3
4. Stand up.

Gboone46

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the motion as if you were sitting on the ground with your legs in front of you and someone gave you a hand to help you up and dont be afraid to stand up otherwise you will wobble around
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught 5 people to get up between this season and last, I always explain it the way pet575, did. The other things I tell people is to point your toes towards the boat, keep the leading edge of your board a bit under the water, and the trailing edge close to your butt. Also with driving, I've found that noobs come up easier if I roll into the throttle rather then nail it, a 3 count from idle to full is about right on my boat. I would suggest using your center fins, not so much for getting up, but after you get out of the water.
embmtxatl

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool thanks all. Now when you say squat like a frog I still keep the board perpendicular to the boat right? And still keep my toe side edge in the water?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah perpendicular to the boat, and toe side just under the surface. To far under and you will come up hard, out of the water you stand a chance of slide out.
bonsaitree
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things that I've noticed most with teaching new people. 1) Don't dig your heels in! It wont get you up. 2) The driver should pull you up with a smooth increasing acceleration. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fight with the boat because my dad can't remember the smooth acceleration thing. Everyone has already said both those things, but thats how I think of it.
McKrakken

City: Rogers

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newb who just got up the first time this weekend..

-I sat in the water with the board out in front of me, probably 3/4 of the way under water.
-I had my arms around my knees loosely, waiting for the pull.
-Once the driver started going, I consciously tried to let myself come into the board and let my butt contact the back of my boots so I was in a squatting position.
-My arms were extended out in front of me. I wasn't pulling, I was letting the jetski pull me.
-I let the board go under water (I think this is big)
-the driver eased into the throttle.. and I popped right up!

I found it better for myself to stand as I came out of the water. I found I had better balance than if I were to ride squatted for a while then stand.

My brother also tried wakeboarding for the 2nd time this weekend with me. He had trouble getting up until I suggested he try one thing.. let the board go under the water when you start getting pulled. Once he tried that, he got up EVERY TIME. He later said that he was trying to keep the board on the surface, which caused him all sorts of problems.

So.. my suggestion is to let the board go under water when you start getting pulled. if you keep in that squat position when the boat pulls you, the board will come out of the water.

We also found that we didn't have to hammer it at all when starting. we'd put the jetski in forward and then ease into about half throttle.

I hope that helps!

Jamie
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds crazy, but people that ive taught to get up, that just couldnt do it on the water, ive taught in the living room and it worked. put them in a board/bindings and i pull on them with the handle pulling them up acting as the boat. works best on carpet.

biggest thing is fetal position and let the boat pull you over. dont even try to stand up. let the boat rotate you over the board then let the board spin 90* naturally. stay squated at first. the low CG will help you the first 2-3 times you get up.

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried I know i could do it but i couldnt get out of the water. My problem was the board would be infront of me and as the driver would gun it, It seemed impossible to keep the board infront of me. The water would overtake it and pull it behind me even in a compelte fetal position.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr beat, Try having your driver roll into the throttle rather then nail it, and be sure your leading edge is below the water line.
McKrakken

City: Rogers

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jeffrey said,

Have the driver ROLL onto the throttle. if he eases into it, you'll be able to let your butt hit your heels, keep your arms around your knees and you'll pop out easily.

Sounds like you are being jerked by the boat.

tell him to take it SLOW!

Heck.. have him just put it in gear and idle forward a bit so you can get a feel for what to do.

I did that and it really helped with understanding what is going on. Put it in gear, get tension on the rope and start letting my body come to the board. THen, after trying that, having him add a little throttle (about half), I popped right out. and I'm 6'8" and weigh about 230! Smile
smitty1258
Criminal
Criminal

City: NW Ohio

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to note, this post is the best ive seen to date on these forums. I used to come outta the water all funky, kinda already turned, and pushing against the water.
Now that I read the "frog" stance, and letting the boat pull you, and the board come under it all makes perfect sense, and I can actually get up CORRECTLY! and to boot, ive been able to teach 2 others how to get up correctly using this post. Mr. Green

It's the fluid dynamics of intercollatical friction that occurs in board sports, you shred a certain object till it produces a magnetic field of anti gravitational forces that blows you into the cosmos as space dust.
lanbro

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you then point your toes to the boat and let the board be flat under water rather than the toe side edge up out of the water?
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's been described is exactly how I did it for a long time, and the note about the new riders having better luck taking off dead slow seems to be the key for the ones who just don't get it. But, recently my friend and I have been standing immediately do reduce drag time and save our energy. It feels effortless, and maybe it's just because we know how it will feel once we stand, but I see no problem with it. It also allows us to gun the throttle and get up to speed quicker when we're running heavy ballast. I suggested it to a friend of mine learning for the first time. He recently broke his wrist badly while I was teaching him to longboard, and has pins in it. He's a big guy, but we've got him on the right size board and he couldn't get up by letting the boat drag him out of the water and ended up hurting his wrist again. After telling him to stand immediately and rotating the boat at the same time, he got up and came on plane very quickly. I'd start gradual like I normally would, but once I saw him stand I get on the throttle quick, and it worked like a charm. Does anyone see a problem teaching it this way? When I do it, the board is actually submersed about a foot or more in the back and about 6" in the front before it starts to get on plane, but like I said, there is virtually no drag, and no wasted energy.
edittman1
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tip I gave, was to sorta tilt the board with the nose of the side which will end up in front. This helps straiten out and get some surface area under the rider.
the_dude
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Long Beach

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tought dozens and dozens of people how to get up the two MOST common mistakes new people make are:

1) tucking knees to chest but not feet to butt (squatting position)
2) standing up to early

People have already given excellent advice on this post but personally I feel there is an overemphasis on where the board is before the pull. If you are properly squatting down you won't be able to look at the board and shouldn't be looking at the board. Feet to butt ensures that you have the lowest center of gravity as possible and makes it easy to get the board on plane and you up and out of the water.

Christobull, What you are describing is similar to what is referred to as a "pro start." This can be much more challenging for someone who doesn't know how to ride a board and had weak upper body strength. However, once you are good at riding it's less work on your legs and back. However, I don't think it creates less drag between the two methods if both are done properly.
m_lesney
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this weekend we got three people up using my wifes advice she says to slightly point the board strait let it hit your butt and stand up.

they got up easily so i used the technique to get up and ride switch all weekend
MacMillions

City: Coquitlam

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: I did it! Reply with quote

I have to thank you all for the tips you posted in this thread and others. I tried wakeboarding a couple of years ago, and didn't even get close to standing up. And that was with a company that "teaches" it!

After that, I thought it was the dumbest thing ever cuz I couldn't do it. I'd go out on the boat with friends, but I would just watch.

I reluctantly tried it again last week, and still no luck. This time I was pissed at myself for not getting it. So instead of quitting again, I decided to find some resources.

What you all had to say enabled me to stand up for the first time yesterday. I realized that I had been purposely trying to dig my heels in to stand up, as well as trying to keep the board out of the water as much as possible. Once I tried the things you all said, like put the board UNDER the water, point your toes, etc, it was quite easy. Now I just have to work on my balance when I am out of the water so I can try some tricks!

I look forward to going as often as possible now!

Laughing

Thanks a bunch y'all!
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMillions, congrats dude, getting up is the only trick you have to do every time out, therefore the most important. Don't give up, don't get discouraged, just ride.
MacMillions

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Christobull!

Another question. Now that I out of the water, where is the best place to have my arms? In tight to my body, or outstretched in a "locked" position? I would think the outstretched way would be easier on the arms, but maybe in close has more control.

I want to get as stable as possible as fast as I can so that I can start to attempt some kind of trick(s). I don't want to be that guy getting dragged behind the boat in a straight line for 45 minutes!

Thanks again.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMillions, it would be most beneficial to get used to holding the handle at your lead hip all the time, which is where it should be on your wake jumps and surface tricks, but there's really nothing wrong with giving those arms a break between tricks.
MacMillions

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Chris!
tank222
Criminal
Criminal

City: FREDERICK

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get up a bunch the week and no luck, but I am trying with the board on top of the water should I put the board under water and start there?
mikebu
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank once the boat starts going push your toes forward to flatten the board and let it go under water. You want the board to be almost flat with the lead edge higher then the trailing edge. Do not stand up, I repeat do not stand up at this point. Wait for the board to pop up and start riding on top of the water. Just remain crouched behind it with you but against the trailing edge. Only when the board is up and the boat is up to speed do you stand up.
Mrichardson

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

First of all... thank you all so much! I'm in the club now and I am proud to say that I got up every single time this weekend. Not a single fall on startup. All thanks to this thread and several others like it. Thanks to you all. What a tremendous relief to know that monkey is off my back. In fact, I look forward to getting up now because it is such a piece of cake. Again, thanks to this thread.

So, for anyone still struggling, read this thread and the others on here. Read them again and again (I did). Visualize what they are saying. Think about it and then prepare yourself.

My problem was that I was afraid to let the board go down under the water. Once I did the crouch or frog stance, I pointed my toes and let the board sink once the boat started to pull... BOOM! up I came. Wow. Utterly amazing.

It is truly effortless when it is right. Of course I did have some struggles because my driver is learning how to pull as I am learning to get up. But, if i can do it perfectly with a newbie driver, you can do it too.

Just hang in there and DO NOT GIVE UP. Dude or dudette, I am 39 and 200 lbs if I can do it.. anyone can.

Thanks to everyone. This was a major deal to me. Finally overcoming this challenge is a great feeling.

Michael
lake shredder

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it just takes time...same with u i watched some videos and said man this will be cake....i tried for about an hour before i got up...now i can get up every time no prob
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats guys, hope you stick with it.
MacMillions

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank, listen to what these folks say...it definitely helped me.

Here are the pointers that helped me the most: (I may start my own thread with these!)

1. When the boat starts to pull, you want to feel like your butt is going to hit your heels, as if you were sitting on the floor and someone helped you stand up.
2. Then, as you start moving, point your toes so that the board is a bit flatter, instead of totally perpendicular.
3. Have the board more or less UNDER the water. The natural buoyancy of the board will make it want to come to the surface.
4. Have the driver try going quite slow a couple of times so that you can feel what all these things feel like without the panic of full speed.

All of these things enabled me to stand up consistently. And it wasn't long ago that I thought it was the dumbest sport EVER (because I was too feeble to stand up!)

You WILL do it.
tank222
Criminal
Criminal

City: FREDERICK

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m going back out tonight and I'll see what happens, ITs like when i'm starting the board goes under water and I'm in the position but i cant get on top of the water.
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I always find people have is they try to pull themselves up rather then standing up.

Basically they yank on the rope real hard and either end up flipping over completely or getting halfway up only to have the board slide out from under them because they're holding the rope over their heads.

The biggest tip I always give out is to let your legs do all the work. Your arms and hands are there to hold onto the rope, nothing more.

If you're using a wakeboard with large center fins on both side then you're going to have to perfect the techinique a little further. with a finless board you can stand up and ride sideways if you choose to. But with large center fins you HAVE to spin the board at just the right time or once again you're gonna be flipping over forwards. The timing for this spin change with each person due to height, weight, board, boat. etc. The heavier you are and the weaker the boat is, the longer you're gonna keep that board sideways.
OperationROL
Criminal
Criminal

City: Rockford

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially, my biggest problem was trying to turn to soon. This caused the nose end of the board to go under and me to fall over the front. I also did not have the right size board. I am 6'4". 230lbs and I was trying to use my friends boards that are all under 6' and much lighter than me. Once I fixed those 2 problems, I was able to get up without any issues.

Like water skiing, you should learn how to drag in the water at any speed. This will allow you to save some bad starts. Now, I just sit there crunched down with the board parallel to my shoulders until the boat is at a speed that is comfortable to stand up. Mastering this helps with surface 180s and riding on the wake edge. I have very short center fins, so it works still for me, but if you have long ones, it will not work unless you remove them.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3" fins on the first board that I bought, and I didn't know any better, so that's just what I always rode. I couldn't slide it once the boat got up to speed, but I did have plenty of control until then. When you stand up, just make sure your weight is back. In the water, you let the boat pull you forward over the board, but stand up leaning back against the rope. As long as you're waiting for the board to reach the top of the water, just shift your weight to the foot you want behind you when you stand and the rotation will happen naturally.

You know, this is a lot more complicated to explain than it is to do. But, once you do it, you'll understand exactly what everyone is saying, and it will feel like the whole thing happened on it's own.

Valhalar

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Great beginner thread Reply with quote

I'm new to the sport and this board, and as others have posted, this is an awesome thread for a beginner. This past week, my brother, his friend, my wife, and myself all were able to get up for the first time using the tips from this thread. My wife was up on her first attempt and we're all in our mid 30's to early 40's! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: