Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

new to wakeboarding..any advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmarley630

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: new to wakeboarding..any advice Reply with quote

i just got my own boat with my friend and i was going to try to get into wakeboarding.. i have been snowboarding for like 10 years and also surfing so i feel like i should be able to pick up wakeboarding quick.. i just am trying to figure out what would be a good board and bindings to get.. i dont know much about all the brands and i would like to not spend too much on the setup any advice anyone could give me would be cool...thanks
trevordj
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Welcome,

I am fairly new as well. I started wakeboarding a couple of years ago but I have been limited by my equipment and the length of the season(Michigan gets cold pretty quick and stays that way). I just bought a new board and bindings this year. I got a Gator Signature 139 cm with Liquid Force Index bindings. It cost a total of $229.00 at [url]the-house.com[/url]. The board is on closeout right now and it says it might have some visual defects but mine arrived in pristine condition. Also if you order from them. I was able to knock 5% off by searching for an online coupon code.

You probably already know this but the hardest thing I had to deal with when I started wakeboarding, was getting out of the water. I ended up just doing dock starts for the first year. We eventually determined it was because we were always giving the boat too much throttle right away and it was just ripping the handle right out of my hands.
Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmarley630, A nice board to start on could be the Ronix Frontier or the Ronix Arcade of this year, there both intermediate boards so you wont have to swich boards after you made some progress. And btw Welcome to the forum

trevordj, A nice slow progressive start and speeding up with your boat is in my opinion the best thing to do, but even when you hit full throatle right away its possible to get up, it takes alot of skills and technique though Laughing Cool Youre welcome aswell ofcourse Mr. Green

Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Haleyville

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are a snowboarder check out Slingshot and Company. They use flex tech in their boards. You should find plenty about them here.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmarley630, Welcome, I'm pretty new to this sport as well. The best advice I can give you since you are new to WBing is buy The Book http://www.boardflix.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=288 at very least the first one, it'll help you get out of the water, and give tips on driving the boat, and boat safety. These are essential if you are a first time boat owner. The guys on here are a wealth of information, everything from getting out of the water to boat maintenance, to getting the most out of your ride.

Another thing that will be helpful down the line is get a video camera, watching vids of your riding will help you see what things you are doing wrong, and posting vids here will help others to give the best advice.

As for board selection, there are lots of posts on here about that. I would defiantly go with an intermediate board as beginner boards get stale fast. The major brands to look for are Hyperlite, Liquid Force, CWB, Ronix, Gator. If you google wakeboard size chart you can figure out what size you need. If you watch ebay close you'll run across a good deal, or check the classifieds here for some good used set-ups.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of good information here too.

I would agree with most saying look at intermediate boards. I've seen a few folks, including myself, go through the beginner boards pretty fast. Also, get a good set up with tight, comfortable and flexible bindings. Don't be "cheap" as you'll end up upgrading pretty quickly and spending more in the long run. There are lots of places to get good gear for good prices, especially if you consider closeouts.

bmarley630

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for the help.. i have checked the size charts and its saying that i should have a board between 133 and 135.. i am 5-8 and weigh 160. in snowboarding i like to use a bit of a smaller board cus i feel like im more agile with it and can spin and get grabs a lot better with a small board. would this be the same with wakeboarding? i was looking into getting like a 134..
Zach2orJack
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Haleyville

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't get a 134 either. You will be happier with a larger board. Go with a 138-144 unless you are getting it for riding cable. Doing spins is all about the swing weight of the board. I'm 6' 170 and ride a 138 but my next board will be a 142 or bigger. The longer the board the more pop you will get. I would get a board from last year on clearance. You can find a lot of good boards on ebay new for cheap.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what size chart you used, but at your weight/size a 134 would be small. I would go for a 137-138. I'm 6'0" weigh 235 and ride a 141, my brother is about your size and bought a CWB Faze 138.

Another thing, do some research, go to the manufacturers sites and get familiar with the various model names, and what ones are designed for intermediate riders. This will help a lot when searching for a board.

There is alot of differences between wake and snow. The weight transfers are different, the physics are different because you are being pulled as opposed to gravity. Edging is different, the harder you edge a WB the faster it goes, in snow the harder you edge the slower you go. As you know if you lay into a HS edge on a SB you will stop, do the same thing on a WB and it either slips out, or you take off.

trevordj
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH Thanks for the advice on The Book. I just ordered the box set on ebay brand new for 43 bucks. Hopefully it will get here this week.[/b]
ecsdesignsvfx

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just gotten into it myself and i ordered this set-up and LOVE it, granted the only other boards i have to compare are rental boards from the cable park (which they actually say are pretty good boards)..but after a couple visits to the park on this one it was def. the right buy for me and everyone at the park seemed to agree that i got a great deal, here it is.

http://www.waterskis.com/Ronix-Vault-Wakeboard-p/ronix_vault_wakeboardpac_2009.htm
bmarley630

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about this setup someone on another forum told me about this board.. a hyperlite logic 141 and liquid force element bindings..
here are the links
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hyperlite-Logic-Mens-141-Wakeboard_W0QQitemZ400041579732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item400041579732&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://www.the-house.com/wkblfel247zz-liquidforce-wakeboard-bindings.html

you guys think a 141 would be a good size? again im 5-8 160lbs

and anybody know anything about this board or bindings

thanks
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move on ordering The Book. Kyle Schmidt is arguably the best wakeboarding coach working today. He and the guys at The Wakeboard Camp have developed a system based on learning progressive skills, like building blocks. The Book starts with the simple basics and eventually takes you to the most advanced tricks. There's a ton of great nfo on those discs, its best to watch it in small segments because it does get kind of dry after a while.

As for a board/bindings, only you can decide what's best for you, but I will say that you should probably stay in the 137-140 board size range.

Also, like snowboarding gear, the best deals can be had on last years closeout models. You can find PLENTY of left over '08 (and '07) gear for a fraction of retail. Try some of these....

boardstop.com
buywake.com
wakeside.com
the-house.com
ebay.com
evogear.com
closeoutdude.com

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Dubai

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important thing is to have fun!
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocoholic wrote:
I think the most important thing is to have fun!

QFT Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: