Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Guide for New Posters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Guide for New Posters. Reply with quote

this is from the Non-Wake forum. i thought it might be useful to post it here as well...

I've noticed a lot of new people posting and there are some small things that are bothering me. So with the help of some veterans maybe we could set up some guidelines.

1.) Use the search at the top of the page before you create a new post. There are like 2 new post about wakeboarder unleashed everyday which are not needed. Most of these topics have been done before. Bring back an old thread before creating a new one.

2.) Post in the appropriate forum. Again back to the unleashed thing. There is a forum for that game. Stay out of posting it in General or Non-Wake.

3.) No more hot or not post. It's just lame. This is a wakeboarding forum. I believe there are other sites for stuff like that. If you really care look at profile pics and private message those people.

4.) Respect the people who have been around a while. One insult may lead to countless attacks upon yourself and your family. It's just not worth the 5 pages of flaming that will follow.

5.) Pace yourself. No need to blow through 1000 post in a month. Try to make your comments interesting or at least funny.

6.) Remember stupid questions get stupid answers.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, good thinking.

This list is not completed so any veterans out there feel free to add to the list. I wasn't trying to offend anyone with this post, but I wanted to get an idea of what would make the post more entertaining and less redundant.

Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: rowlet, tx.

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been sitting here trying to think of some more, ummm i would say spelling and grammer, but for those of u that know me i would be a hypocrite fot sayin that.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to respond to everything on the forum, especially if it's to a qeustion that was already answered Rolling Eyes
there is only one answer to "what board sould I get" -DEMO

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
hc_zer0skater
Criminal
Criminal

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, thanks for the guidelines. A lot of the thingies I didn't know of and now I do. Thanks again.

Never sellout, never surrender.
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: rowlet, tx.

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry as long as ur not a complete idiot then ull do just fine here
hc_zer0skater
Criminal
Criminal

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Im pretty close..im not a complete idiot im just stupid

Never sellout, never surrender.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another:
if you have no useful information to give, then dont post.

pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and dont just post random chat type posts you cna us PMs for that if you want.
Bill Y Bob
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: S.L.C.

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And please don't double post. If you do, DELETE IT
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and when you double post, PLEASE dont make ANOTHER post apolgizing for your double post. its bad enough that there are 2 posts, but 3 is just stupid. like Bill Y Bob said just delete the second one or just let it be.
Jazz

City: Sydney, Aussie Mate

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you guys all go back and have a look at what you've all writen. This is a joke, right? I think the idea of a 'guide for new posters' is bulls%^t.

Seriously, this site is becoming more and more inbred day by day. I remember the 'less redundant posts' topic from way back and how everyone had a good old laugh about it and continued on their merry, redundant way. I remember when everyone had a spazz over the loss of 'creamy or crunchy', and this is almost to teh point of hypocrasy. Without all the newbies posting, half of the interesting stuff posted wouldn't surface. I think you all need to get over your an@lly retentive stages and just live with what this discussion board is all about, discussion.

While i do agree with the 'if you have nothing informative to post, dont post' its most of the so-called 'veterans' who are responsible for the useless crap anyway.

Seriously guys have a look at what you're writing here, it will only dicourage new users and make this site more and more inbred.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what your saying is that we are all hypocrites? how so? i believe you are referring to a relatively small group of people that mainly post in the non-wake forum. newbies havent actually been posting too much other than 1. wakeboarding unleashed 2. what board they should get/is this board good and 3. what bindings should i get/are these bindings good and lastly 4. anything related to removing fins especially on the premier.
by the fact that you have 26 posts and know a lot about what has gone on in the past, i will assume that you lurk quite a bit. i started this thread in the general wake forum because i thought it might help some users (and one specifically said it did help him). there have been a LOT of reocurrent threads especially with the 4 that i stated. if you dont believe me then i invite you to look back at exactly how many different threads there are that are exactly the same.

i think you are making bad generalities when you talk about how "everyone" had a spazz over the loss of creamy or crunchy, and also that its the "so-called 'veterans' who are responsible for non-informative posting. what would you call a "veteran?" is it someone who has a high post count who usually posts in the non-wake forum, or is it someone who has 26 posts and registered on Feb 20, 2003? YES there is a lot of crap posts, but i think that you shouldnt say that it is the fault of an entire group of people, but perhaps more of a personal thing.

Jazz

City: Sydney, Aussie Mate

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying you're all hypocrites, although quite a lot of people had complaints when creamy or crunchy got closed. What i was getting at is that the people who post most of the redundant stuff are peole with high post counts. I think the newbies should ask which board is good for them, etc. so as to get opinions for them personally. This not only helps them choose a good board, but gives them a welcoming to this sport, and makes everyone else look more helpful.

I'm sorry if thins came as a personal attack on you Scott, as i think you post pretty much useful stuff. But generally the younger members tend to post crap to rack up a post count (thus making them veterans) and they have every right to.

I'll also apologise for a low post count (dont ask me why, lurking wtf? its a website man) due to the fact that a war was on and some people had to go to work. And i did frequently post on the old site.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz, I think what everyone hates is seeing the same topic EVERY SINGLE DAY, and sometimes several times on the same main page. For instance, one day this week there were 3 threads that said "I am new, what board should I get?"

No one is discouraging them from posting, but asking them to pay attention to what is going on around them. I lurked for quite a while before I ever even signed up, much less posted. A message board is a community, and you should see how you fit in before you barge in and do things your own way.

As for the threads like "creamy or crunchy" I personally have no problem with people treating a thread like chat, as long as they keep it to one thread. Lately there have been about 5 threads on Non-Wake that are chats.

Guidelines don't discourage people from posting, frustrated vets bitchslapping newbies discourages people from posting. Maybe the newbs can see these and shorten their learning curve around here, making them feel more welcome when they do post because they aren't getting smacked down.
MinnDizzyG
Addict
Addict

City: I can see Mystic Lake

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(takes a deep breath, shuffles feet)

I'm not entirely certain I want to step into this, but I feel I can communicate clearly and represent the relatively new poster (read "non-veteran") set.

While I agree that there are unwritten rules about posting, they are much like social mores - you learn as you go. Scott, some of your guidelines are great - post to the right forum, don't be a dick to vets (or anyone, for that matter), learn to handle a double post, use the search function. But I don't think you can feasibly exert even a modicum of control over the content of new threads. I understand the desire for an organization or structure, but the sheer diversity of background, personality, experience, and age on this forum will make such an effort momentus at best.

At a usenet group I have lurked on for years some of the vets created the FAQ for both behavior/netiquette in the group and for the subject matter - a series of books. Such a thing could be done here as well, if Pat is willing. On that group, the reaction to new threads of the "what wakeboard" nature - which I agree are, shall I say, proliferous Rolling Eyes - would simply be "Read the FAQ", and for the vets it would end there.

Butta had another excellent suggestion on spelling and grammar - and my intent is not to slam people who really do have difficulty with those things. But IMHO a large portion of problems on boards that result in flame wars are caused by poor communication. It is of paramount importance to remember that your medium (discussion board) does not gracefully allow for tone or inflection, although a certain amount can be achieved. Substandard grammar, typing, or even sentence structure can aggravate or even initiate - whether directly or indirectly - a flame situation.

...And, jt09 this sentence
Quote:
A message board is a community, and you should see how you fit in before you barge in and do things your own way.

...I believe should have its own EULA-type Agree/Disagree screen for new registrants. Well said.

Finally, I think what is most helpful is a healthy dose of patience for everyone. I think that will get everyone farther than any FAQ doc, rule list, or guideline post.

"I'd like to do now a sort of a gut-bucket bolero, in a primitive rhythm, executed in a pre-primitive manner."
- Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Paris, 1963
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok just for the record, i copied these guidlines from a post that Nor*Cal made in the non-wake forum. it is his post, and i only reposted it in another forum so more people would read it.

minndizzyg, just give up on the grammar/spelling thing. there have been several people who have brought this topic up, and basically people have come to the conclusion that the people who have bad grammar dont care that they have bad grammar, they dont proof read their posts, and chances are they wont ever use a "spell check" or "grammar check" if either is available. the only people that would make use of the feature are the people who know english and already proof read their posts.
i am totally for the idea of having a FAQ. maybe if pat has time he can create a sticky at the top of the general wake forum (for example) of what you should or shouldnt do.

MinnDizzyG
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, I know, you're right about the spelling and grammar. In addition, if you bother to point out spelling or grammar mistakes, you tend to get flamed as a nitpicky retentive ba$tard. Oh well.

We could potentially use the newbie FAQ from Usenet as a skeleton. It's got to come up in a Google groups search...I'll see if I can find it. edit: Found it, not much help there - Nevermind. Embarassed

"I'd like to do now a sort of a gut-bucket bolero, in a primitive rhythm, executed in a pre-primitive manner."
Tyler*Moore

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like The Headless Chicken said, no usless posts. Everyone who is complain about what scott a posted is posting usless posts. Because scott a isnt gonna delete the post. and I believe its a good post. So keep you opiniont to yourself, and PM him if you have a problem
franknbeans
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Ft. Worth

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't believe this is still an issue.

give it up. it's a public internet message board open to all and everyone. if you don't like repetitive threads, don't open them up and post on them. just let go, relinquish control, hitler.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franknbeans, I can't believe you felt the need to dis the idea on the Non-Wake board and come over here and talk about it again... Rolling Eyes

franknbeans wrote:
if you don't want to read a post ...then DON'T READ IT.

"Hello Kettle," said the Pot.

franknbeans wrote:
how hard is that to grasp?
franknbeans
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"Hello Kettle," said the Pot.

whatever. i'm not the one going on and on and on about newbies posting crap, you guys are. i posted again because i was THAT dumbfounded.

franknbeans
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can't believe you felt the need to dis the idea on the Non-Wake board and come over here and talk about it again...

and you guys aren't doing the same f'ing thing? tell me exactly how that's different.

K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is as bad as a Tupperware party...... Laughing Laughing
franknbeans
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-dub, tell me about it... i feel stupid for ever posting... oh well Very Happy
Preston Duke
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Richmond, Va.

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this site is becoming some sort of cult, and it just keeps getting worse.

The articles are good, thanks Pat, but the forums are getting worse all the time. It seems like the amount of useful information in the forums is in about 2% of the posts and reading through the other 98% is a pain in the ass and unnecessary.

Only post things people can actually benefit from. It's that simple.

Hyperlite Wakeboards
Richmond, Va.
vance

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston Duke,

Heres a tissue if your gonna cry about it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Haha j/k man. I don't know about everyone but sometimes i just like to have some fun and makes jokes etc but if i see a topic where i can put some actual help into then i try my best.
MinnDizzyG
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston Duke wrote:

Only post things people can actually benefit from. It's that simple.

While I agree with you Preston, I think the difficulty is the same thing that holds back decent grammar and spelling: It requires a certain amount of self-discipline on the part of everyone who posts, and a lot of posters simply don't have it or don't exercise it.

JerZeyGrlWakr1080
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Jersey

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vance wrote

Haha j/k man. I don't know about everyone but sometimes i just like to have some fun and makes jokes etc but if i see a topic where i can put some actual help into then i try my best.

vance, i do agree, i think it is cool jus to mess around on the site, and if you can help with something, you should post it. but when i see somebody ask a question about any certain thing, and i can help, i pm them.

DISMANTLE ALL
BOUNDARIES.
Reclaim the waterways.
BE FREE!

***CBD***
WakeBabe07
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Cleveland-&-Sandusky

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerZeyGrlWakr1080, vance is mine so u can have luke
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=8113&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I responded to the criticism that was recieved over this post. It was not my intention to make this sound like an elite group or cult. I just thought that some of these things needed to be said. I don't mind the 'what kind of equipment post' or even newb type of questions. By all means post honest questions. These thoughts were intended to target the post that are repeated several times on the same page. This site is a great resource and can be very helpful. The key is to perform a search then ask a question based off of what you learned from reading previous thoughts on that subject.

If it's funny, a honest question, advice, or something useful feel free to post. If you are just replying for the sake of reading your own writing please refrain.

Don't hold any of this against Scott A. I'll take all the heat if you disagree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: