Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Boat shopping help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Flemington

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Boat shopping help Reply with quote

Sorry for the Newb question but I am trying to (slightly) narrow down the boats to look at. I currently have a 2005 Tige 24V, love the boat and it was a HUGE upgrade from the 19 Maxum I had, but I have never been crazy about the wake, real steep and wide, and with my 4 year old wanting to learn I want to get something with a narrower and rampier wake. I want to look at the MCs, Malibus, and Supra as they have local dealers. Want to go with something in the 21 to 22 foot range and a V drive. What would you all suggest looking at based on trying to get something narrower and rampier than the 24v? Oh, and this boat will spend 90% of its time wakeboarding and surfing. Thanks
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lowell

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautique 210 SANTE
m_lesney
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supra 21v
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have the Supra 20SSV, 21V
The Nautique 210
Mastercraft X1, X2, X14V

All will achieve what you wish. However in a few more years you will be wanting the extra room of a 23 or 24 foot boat once his friends start to tag along.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, sadly Nautique is the only brand I will not look at, and sadly not due to anything with the brand but the local dealer!

Did not realize MC was making the X14 in a V
kyle f
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X14V is new for 09. They did a little somethign extra with the seating as well. The rear seat have loungers built in beside the motor and tranny instead of just a sunpad. However, there is enough left there to use as a sunpad.

The only drawback is that it is still the X14 hull, meaning its a skiboat hull and not a lot of ballast built in from the factory. You will need fat sacs for serious boarding. Though, if I was to have bought a MC, I am pretty sure it would have been the one. It felt a lot roomier than the X2, however I believe they were about the same size in lenght and widht, but the rear lounge seats made it feel bigger.

Also, the dealer should make a big part of your decision. Well atleast it does for me. All of these boats will eventually have a problem. It nice to know you will be taken care of and enjoy going to the dealership, because you will already be irritated by the boat... do you want to add on top of that being irritated by the dealer?

holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question, but has anyone ridden behind an xstar without ballast? There is a nice deal on one local that I am considering but am concerned about the stock wake being too big for the little ones
kyle f
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to fill the ballast completely.

logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is saying with the ballast empty he is concerned on the size.

Too bad you have a bad experience with the local dealer, a 210 or a 220 nautique would be perfect for what you are looking for, care to explain the beef with them?

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logan wrote:

Too bad you have a bad experience with the local dealer, a 210 or a 220 nautique would be perfect for what you are looking for, care to explain the beef with them?

First time the wife and I walked in to look I started talking to the salesman (which it was clear he thought I was wasteing his time), looked the boat over real well and liked it (210). I asked hit to tell me about the boat and he said "this is the best boat for the lake", I asked "why, what are the freatures that make it the best" and his response was "why are you questioning me, this is THE boat to own, that is all you need to knwo". I asked if we could talk price and water test the boat to see what it was like on the water "since it was THE boat to own" and we wanted to know whyt as it was to be our first ski boat. He told me he would not talk price or water test until I filled out a credit app, he ran it and determined I was a legit buyer. Sorry, but that was incredibly offensive and I walked away never going back to the marina.
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell I don't blame you, but what I would suggest is reporting his ass to the supervisor and then using it as leverage to get an even better deal on the boat you would be happiest with. Just a thought?

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
BrentC5Z
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Tulsa

Sounds like a bad salesman perhaps not a bad dealer. Unless that's the store policy.

Best way to kill a salesman's day is to ask, " Is there someone else I can talk to?"

Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

Stock wake for the Xstar is not going to be any bigger than a stock wake for a BU/VLX. I have a VLX and my friend has an 07 xstar and I would say the xstar has a better wake for beginners and little guys, its wake is more of a mound and the VLX is more like a wall.

The xstar has a great wake and will really make you fly but the wake is not antimidating at all, although I have not ridden with 4,000 lbs ballasts either.

My VLX can make an extremely antimidating wake, it is much steeper than the xstar and takes a little more practice to get big air. With no ballasts, my kids do OK but they mainly stay in the wake.

Last year I had about 1/2 ballasts in the VLX and the wake was above my 12 year old nephew's waist, lets just say he was a little frightened, I hope he gets his courage back this year. I am sure I will empty ballasts for the kids from now on.
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent87LT1 wrote:
Sounds like a bad salesman perhaps not a bad dealer. Unless that's the store policy.

Best way to kill a salesman's day is to ask, " Is there someone else I can talk to?"

EXACTLY! I'm in sales and reading story of sales people like this shocks me. Given I don't sell boats, I sell phones for AT&T. Whenever people wanna activate the first thing we do is run credit before we show them phones and what not. Just out of the interest of our time on the sales floor can't be wasted if we don't have a legit buyer. So the method of getting to the credit check is important, what I usually do is say "Before we get to phones why don't check that you're approved for our service and get you set on a service plan." That way I kill two birds with one stone, I run their credit and get them a plan, or find out they don't have credit and I didn't waste 30 minutes and potential customers showing phones to somebody who couldn't buy.

Where I'm going with this is that the salesman for one reason or another, got a non buyer vibe from you. What could have attributed to this? Long string of customers not approved, maybe you weren't dressed in sunday's best, who knows. He tried to read you and did a shitty job. I learned not to read by dress when a guy came into my store in cutoff jeans and a tank top, my coworkers fled, I helped him and ended up selling him 3 blackberry's, how did he pay? AMERICAN EXPRESS BLACK CARD.

Go back to the dealer and ask for somebody other than the guy that helped you, report him to the supervisor, he is not the dealer and I'm sure in this economy they do not appreciate that kind of service.

holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys, I forgot to mention one important item in my story, the salesman I was speaking with turned out to be the owner of the marina so no one to report him to. As for my dress, I was not in a suit (well, bathing suit and shirt I guess), but we came by boat and tied up to his dock. He asked where we put in, and I told him we owned a house on the lake and actually pointed to our dock! So, in my opinion, being able to own a weekend house on a lake (on the water) and already owning a boat should have somewhat pre-qualified us.

I know I could look for another dealer elsewhere, but I want to buy from a dealer on the lake so if/when there is an issue with the boat I can just drop it off, not tow it 3 hours somewhere else. I don't mind towing, but why be inconvienenced when it is not necesary.

Sandbagger, thanks for the comparison, I was going to check out the VLX and VRides this weekend, gives me something to focus on. I rode briefly behind an xstar once, but it was outfitted with A LOT of extra ballast so I never saw what it was like empty. I appreciate your honesty there!

Last edited by holiday13 on Apr 14, 2009 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VLX is really wide, not narrow by any means. I'm not sure what your price range is, but if a VLX seems pricey I just priced out a pretty well loaded Axis A22 in California (I guess our boats cost more for emissions?) and it was 45 grand out the door. The A22 is the same hull as the VLX so it would maybe be a good decision?

Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logan wrote:
The VLX is really wide, not narrow by any means. I'm not sure what your price range is, but if a VLX seems pricey I just priced out a pretty well loaded Axis A22 in California (I guess our boats cost more for emissions?) and it was 45 grand out the door. The A22 is the same hull as the VLX so it would maybe be a good decision?

I think accurate information is most important when posting to someone. They are not the same hull.

I don't believe Malibu has sold their molds. Maybe you could explain further like maybe what year axis hull is the same as what year Malibu hull and be model specific.

I do not mean to bash Axis, certainly it is a good option for the budget minded, that is in fact their goal, to bring a high performance wakeboard boat at a lower price point.

My friend that has the xstar; well he had a Centurian prior for exactly one season before trading it in, not that that means anything. But the point is, get what you really want the first time around and then you will not make the same mistake.

Get accurate information and test drive, do not rely only on people on these sites as they will usually favor what they have and many are dealers pushing brands they carry.
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you want a copycat VLX you might want to look at Tige, they have what in my opinion most closely resembles a Malibu.

I think Tige also has an xtar pickle fork version also.
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandbagger wrote:
logan wrote:

I think accurate information is most important when posting to someone. They are not the same hull.

I don't believe Malibu has sold their molds. Maybe you could explain further like maybe what year axis hull is the same as what year Malibu hull and be model specific.

I do not mean to bash Axis, certainly it is a good option for the budget minded, that is in fact their goal, to bring a high performance wakeboard boat at a lower price point.

My friend that has the xstar; well he had a Centurian prior for exactly one season before trading it in, not that that means anything. But the point is, get what you really want the first time around and then you will not make the same mistake.

Get accurate information and test drive, do not rely only on people on these sites as they will usually favor what they have and many are dealers pushing brands they carry.

Well considering MALIBU MAKES AXIS and my local MALIBU/AXIS dealer says they are the same, I'm kinda thinking they would be the same hull, aside from the triple fork, he said the bottom features are identical, I'm saying what I was told don't bash me for it.

Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lowell

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen at a MC dealer they wouldn't give me the time of day.
The second MC dealer spent more time bashing other brands than showing theirs.
Don't let a bad attitude spoil your new boat purchase. Take your time look at all the different brands NOBODY BUILDS A BAD BOAT! Pic the one that suits your needs.
After a 1 1/2 year search I bought a Nautique 210 I know its the right boat for us.
Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Laughing
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logan wrote:
Sandbagger wrote:
logan wrote:

Well considering MALIBU MAKES AXIS and my local MALIBU/AXIS dealer says they are the same, I'm kinda thinking they would be the same hull, aside from the triple fork, he said the bottom features are identical, I'm saying what I was told don't bash me for it.

Sorry, did not mean to bash, just do not think the statement that the hulls are the same was accurate. Please do not take it personally. BTW, I would say your explanation is more accurate.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Axis is a subsidy of Malibu, and from what I understand it is on the last VLX wake hull, which is now the Vride Wake Hull. The VLX just had its self redesigned in the past year or so.

holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I have it narrowed down to the xstar and either the 21vride or the vlx, going to check out the vride this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?

logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is it strange to see somebody comparing between an x-star and a v-ride

Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has a 23VLX. The wake is pretty wide, but the power wedge really allows you to shape it rather than just adding height to the wake. Combined with different ballast set ups you can shape to anything from moundy to a vertical wall of water.
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new vride uses the V25 wake hull that was used on the VLX prior to the latest hull revisions (which I think was in 2008). It is the same length as a new VLX but it has a 98" beam compared to the new VLX at 100".

I believe it is a stripped down version to target lower price point but you can load it up with many options, but I would guess the price would approach closer to the new VLX if you put in all options.

Honestly I do not know the difference in wakes for the V25 and new hull, I have heard it is better in the new hull, but who knows.

If you are comparing all new boats there will be a huge price difference between a vride and xstar and a decent price difference between the VLX and xstar.

If price did not matter I would go with the new xstar because I think the wake is the best out there. The VLX is still an awesome boat that in my opinion will out perform the xstar in performance and handling. The VLX still has a great wake.

I really do not think you can make a bad choice based on what you are considering.
m_lesney
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

210 then
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be upset if you are asked for a credit app now. Dealers are having a hard time getting people approved so more and more dealers are actually asking for a credit app before they do lake tests. Be prepared if the other dealers ask for one before you hit the water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have said I am looking at used xstars and new and used malibus, does that make more sense? I fully realize where the confusion would be from a price stand point.

I have narrowed it to those two brands as they are the only two dealers on the lake and within 1.5 hours of the lake. I could shop other brands but honestly do not want to deal with trailering back and forth if/when something happens. I would rather just drop it off and pick it back up the next weekend.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
Do not be upset if you are asked for a credit app now. Dealers are having a hard time getting people approved so more and more dealers are actually asking for a credit app before they do lake tests. Be prepared if the other dealers ask for one before you hit the water.

The dealer I recently delt with did, but I also knew goign in that its important. Look at it this way, from a buyers point of view isn't it better to knwo what you can get approved for before you go looking.

I did this all over the phone with a salesman I knew. So when I got there that evening, we already knew how much of a loan I could take and with how much down and what the rate would be. After that it was just a matter of picking out the boat I wanted to take to the lake.

It seems that a lot of the time its not what is asked by a salesman, but how he asks it that can turn people off. The way the salesman in the above sotry came off was rude. The way I was asked was not off putting at all.

If you are serious about buying, you should already know you will need 10% down atleast. You should have a good idea where you credit will fall, and you should have no problem doing a credit app before hand, unless you are paying in cash. If you cant get approved you are not only wasting their time, but yours to. Unless you really are there to just joy ride with not intentions of buying. If that is the case, you are the cause of serious buyers getting the blow off personality.

holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle f wrote:
flixmaster wrote:

The dealer I recently delt with did, but I also knew goign in that its important. Look at it this way, from a buyers point of view isn't it better to knwo what you can get approved for before you go looking.

I did this all over the phone with a salesman I knew. So when I got there that evening, we already knew how much of a loan I could take and with how much down and what the rate would be. After that it was just a matter of picking out the boat I wanted to take to the lake.

It seems that a lot of the time its not what is asked by a salesman, but how he asks it that can turn people off. The way the salesman in the above sotry came off was rude. The way I was asked was not off putting at all.

If you are serious about buying, you should already know you will need 10% down atleast. You should have a good idea where you credit will fall, and you should have no problem doing a credit app before hand, unless you are paying in cash. If you cant get approved you are not only wasting their time, but yours to. Unless you really are there to just joy ride with not intentions of buying. If that is the case, you are the cause of serious buyers getting the blow off personality.

I understand your point, but keep in mind every time a credit app is run, it effects your overall score, small deal to some, bigger to others. What if there were 6 brands I was considering at 6 different dealers, do you think I would fill out a credit app at each dealer and have each run my credit just to see if I liked the boat and it was a consideration? No, I would not. That is the worst thing you can do to your credit score! Banks see your credit run by multiple sources in a short period of time and they ding your score for it. I am not going as far as have a dealer run my credit until I know it is the boat I want, plain and simple, and none of the other dealers had such a requirement. Plus, with how bad the marine industry is right now (anyone who says the marine industry is thriving is nuts), dealers should be extra willing to go the extra mile to make a sale.

The above scenario happened almost 5 years ago now when banks were asking if they could lend you money. The dealer made a bad call on me, his mistake. I walked because I did not want to be treated like that at the time of the sale and could only imagine how much worse I would have been treated if there was a warranty repair issue!
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a credit report and take it with you to show dealers what your credit is like, their time is money and imagine in the near summer time how many joe-balls go in their trying to get boats without credit.

kyle f
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holiday13 wrote:
kyle f wrote:
flixmaster wrote:

I understand your point, but keep in mind every time a credit app is run, it effects your overall score, small deal to some, bigger to others. What if there were 6 brands I was considering at 6 different dealers, do you think I would fill out a credit app at each dealer and have each run my credit just to see if I liked the boat and it was a consideration? No, I would not. That is the worst thing you can do to your credit score! Banks see your credit run by multiple sources in a short period of time and they ding your score for it. I am not going as far as have a dealer run my credit until I know it is the boat I want, plain and simple, and none of the other dealers had such a requirement. Plus, with how bad the marine industry is right now (anyone who says the marine industry is thriving is nuts), dealers should be extra willing to go the extra mile to make a sale.

The above scenario happened almost 5 years ago now when banks were asking if they could lend you money. The dealer made a bad call on me, his mistake. I walked because I did not want to be treated like that at the time of the sale and could only imagine how much worse I would have been treated if there was a warranty repair issue!

You are partially correct. It does affect your credit score when ther eis a check and no loan given. However, the FICO soring has a provision for your scenerio.

All hits of similar credit checks within a month with no loan origination only counts as one hit against your credit.

Hate to tell you, but their time is money... they work off comission. They can't sale you anyting unless you can get a loan. If you want to shop and look and evaluate without the hassel of credit, a boat show is a perfect opportunity and schedule a test drive then.

Also, you have ton consider what you were looking at. It was a 19' Bow Rider. You were looking at somethign that was some serious change.

Like I said, I don't think its often what is asked, but how it is asked. Its not like test driving a car. There is much more time and effort that has to go into test driving a boat. Especially if the dealer is not on the water. You really should have a short list of boats you are interested in based off of price, options, and looks for you. Then test drive 2 or 3 to see which one performs better to your liking. Don't Expect to go test drive 7 or 8 boats before your purchase.

I am not slamming you, just giving you my opinion as a consumer. I certainly don't support his attitude no matter what he was asking or saying.

Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle f wrote:
holiday13 wrote:
kyle f wrote:
flixmaster wrote:

You are partially correct. It does affect your credit score when ther eis a check and no loan given. However, the FICO soring has a provision for your scenerio.

All hits of similar credit checks within a month with no loan origination only counts as one hit against your credit.

Hate to tell you, but their time is money... they work off comission. They can't sale you anyting unless you can get a loan. If you want to shop and look and evaluate without the hassel of credit, a boat show is a perfect opportunity and schedule a test drive then.

Also, you have ton consider what you were looking at. It was a 19' Bow Rider. You were looking at somethign that was some serious change.

Like I said, I don't think its often what is asked, but how it is asked. Its not like test driving a car. There is much more time and effort that has to go into test driving a boat. Especially if the dealer is not on the water. You really should have a short list of boats you are interested in based off of price, options, and looks for you. Then test drive 2 or 3 to see which one performs better to your liking. Don't Expect to go test drive 7 or 8 boats before your purchase.

I am not slamming you, just giving you my opinion as a consumer. I certainly don't support his attitude no matter what he was asking or saying.

Honestly this is a bunch of BS. The time to give your credit info is when you have picked out the boat you want to buy or possibly before a test drive. If a dealer thinks I'm wasting his precious time trying to sell me a boat because I will not let him run my credit, I would seriously tell him to get Fu**** and I would go elsewhere just like Holiday.

Besides, how precious is that salesmans time really? Are people taking numbers to ask him questions, seriously people, get real.
A good salesman can do some up front qualifying without running a credit, and the fact that Holliday has a boat and lives on the lake should be enough for a salesman or dealer to spend some serious time selling their boat lineup to this guy. If that was not enough the salesman could ask some other questions like what he does for a living, casually without offending.

I certainly think asking a question like how you intend to pay for the boat is in order because if a buyer has no cash that is certainly a red flag.

As far as a test drive, I would only do that when I have narrowed my choices down to two or three boats and I was ready to buy. I would still be reluctant to let them run my credit, I would show them a bank statement though.

I also think printing out a copy of a recent credit report and showing them that is a good idea as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: