Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2009 College Football
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: 2009 College Football Reply with quote

Well it's that time again, NLOI day is tomorrow and it appears to be a better than expected group for Washington, but nothing to write home about. It appears that Sarkisian, and Holt have done quite a bit to build some excitement around the program, so maybe they'll be a suprise or two tomorrow.

It is still going to be a long eight months, especially for a team that hasn't won a game since November 2007. I hope Sarkisian and Holt do good things with the program, I think if they are respectable this coming year, they'll be right back in the recruiting mix next year. Not to mention, if they are respectable, that means the young kids have developed and we'll be on our way.

I guess it makes the off season a bit more exciting than in places like Texas, Ohio State and Florida, you know your going to do well, for us it's a total crap shoot. Laughing

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only good thing about football being so far away is that we don't have to listen to every talking head in the media talk about how great Tim Tebow is.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SEC is the best conference in college football.

[/End Thread]
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might have a chance at Jarvis Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick....crossing my fingers.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm excited to see if texas can FINALLY pull in a couple of oos studs in de jarvis jones from ga and db dre kirkpatrick from al. i think we have a 40% chance w/ jones and 10% w/ kirkpatrick.

pretty damn excited about our class even w/o those two, but getting either one of them would be pretty incredible. i might explode if we got both.

as a texas fan, i'm more excited about next monday. our first junior day is next weekend, so by monday, we'll have 10-12 verbals for 2010.
get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my team (Arkansas) will get some much needed help in the Defensive secondary with 1 5-star and 2 4-star signings projected. We'll also have ex-Michigan QB Ryan Mallet at 6'6" and 220 lbs. http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2009&School=6
sYsTeM87
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Canada

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, after the season I had to endure with Michigan, I cant wait to see what this recruiting class can do. Got to hand it to Rich-rod, after going 3-9 he has a killer class. Will be nice to see a quarterback who can actually throw +30 yards and have it not be a wobbly duck.
Just thinking about it too, if he can get this kind of class with a 3-9 record, wonder what he can do with a 9+ record. Laughing
It's hard weighing your dreams on kids that just got out of highschool, but when you have the worst season in the programs history... ouch.

Hail to the Victors!

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy not suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat"
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get_sum, mallett's been there for a year. he's just had to sit his year for transferring.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty impressed with the class Sherman has signed at A&M after us sucking for a decade, and going 4-8. Hopefully we'll get some player development, which we haven't seen in the last 5 years.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, my fishing post yielded no bites. Very Happy

I just hope TN's new coach is somewhat successful. Form some reason I feel like he may not be there long term solution, but was the best they could get at the time. I could be awhile before TN's climbs out of its hole.
get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
get_sum, mallett's been there for a year. he's just had to sit his year for transferring.

I know. I meant it as that now he is able to play and contribute on the field. I'm glad we're done with Casey Dic*. He was a terrible passer.

EDIT*** it won't let me post his full last name. It changes it to Richard!! Laughing Laughing

sYsTeM87
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallet only played a couple of times for us when Henne was hurt. I hope hes better for you guys then he with us. Dude could not navigate the field with a map, a gps, and few neon signs. I don't think we as Michigan fans wouldn't have minded having him this year seeing we got stuck with QBing from Threet/Sheridan, but alas these things happen and teams move on. Mr. Green
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy not suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat"
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think signing day is going to bring nearly as much excitement for the Buckeye's this year. Getting Marlon Brown would be a nice addition to the class though.

sYsTeM87, as someone said on a Buckeye forum I frequent. Michigan is one injury to a 170 QB away from an even worse season than last year! Only 290 days until we get a chance to make it 6 in a row! Hopefully I can get back to the shoe again next year to watch a game!

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM!

Kevin Hart to Cal.

Laughing

I'm very excited about Cal's squad for 2009...

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javis Jones to USC...good luck. Puppy Eyes
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpierce37 wrote:
Javis Jones to USC...good luck. Puppy Eyes

Some of the decisions are suprising, if I was a guy like Jarvis and being recruited by Muschamp I'd be much more interested in UT than SC who just lost their DC.

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, what I heard is that USC lost there 5 star LB to Arizona State at the last second, and that is why he changed his mind. Who knows....

Now let's see if we can steal one from Saban!!!!! Twisted Evil

Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1, to be quite honest, I'm more worried about the DB situation, considering right now we literally can NOT take any damage there, 1 injury we are screwed. At least with QB, Threet has had some time to develop, learn the systems, and hopefully get stronger. By 2010 we should be fully back to the battlegrounds with OSU and Penn St. I've been looking at it this way:
-2008 new coach new system... total sh!tstorm
-2009 New coach gets his types of players, kids progress.
-2010 Battle for Big Ten championship and have a good shot at winning.
-2011 Competing for/in national championship...

Can it be done? yes. But is it a tough climb? no question. But, with the block "M" there's the pressure to win and they know that.

Oh, and as a side note, there is no way in hell last years play showed the full capacity of RR's system and plays. Anxious to see what it will look like with kids a little more his type.

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dre Kirkpatrick turned out to be a douchbag and a half.... Rolling Eyes
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpierce37 wrote:
jryoung, what I heard is that USC lost there 5 star LB to Arizona State at the last second, and that is why he changed his mind. Who knows....

i think the 5-star lb you're talking about is manti te'o, who will sign with notre dame.

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oshensurfer
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, Is the Swope kid out of Westlake any good? I've heard he's good, but you'd know better than anyone I'd hear it from.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumalian wrote:
Dpierce37 wrote:

i think the 5-star lb you're talking about is manti te'o, who will sign with notre dame.
He's talking about Vontaze Burfict.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, my bad.

so usc lost 2 5-star LBs?

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, you are correct sir.

jumalian, and that is why they have dropped in the rankings...

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumalian wrote:
Dpierce37 wrote:

no - vontaze burfict. he wasn't going to come close to making his grades so pete cut ties last week. he's getting conditional admittance to asu - summer school and good grades or it's off to juco.

edit - oops....didn't see the post about him above.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oshensurfer wrote:
jt09, Is the Swope kid out of Westlake any good? I've heard he's good, but you'd know better than anyone I'd hear it from.

ummm....he's a white rb from westlake. considering the kids who have matched that description over the years, i think you are getting a decent player who will have zero real impact in college. see: ryan nunez, scott balew and brett robin.

honestly i never saw him play in person, but his film didn't impress, imo.

wakebrad better be right about player development, because i only see a couple of difference makers in y'all's class. michael is goodson v.2 - superior talent who is going to be hurt by the lack of talent around him.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think it's a major impact to aggy, but somewhat noteworthy.

Quote:
Texas A&M officials said Friday that defensive tackle Kellen Heard and wide receiver E.J. Shankle are not expected back for the 2009 football season.

That brings to five the number of scholarship players with eligibility remaining who will not return for Mike Sherman's second year as coach.

Others are running back Mike Goodson, who has entered the NFL draft; tight end Harold Turnage, who has transferred to McNeese State; and linebacker Aaron Buckley, who has transferred to Texas A&M-Kingsville.

A spokesman said Heard will continue to attend A&M, where he is expected to graduate either this spring or summer. Shankle was described as simply not being enrolled this spring and not being expected to return.

Heard was perhaps best known for his hit on Texas quarterback Colt McCoy in the 2006 game that resulted in Heard's ejection and a subsequent letter of apology to UT from then-coach Dennis Franchione. Both Heard and Shankle played sparingly this past season.

f kellen heard. hope he gets hit by a bus.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Lane Kiffin is starting off on the right foot at ol Rocky Top!

JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:

wakebrad better be right about player development, because i only see a couple of difference makers in y'all's class.

Then obviously you're not paying close enough attention. In fact, we just picked up Brian "Smash" Williams last night...Big XII domination here we come.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1 wrote:
Sounds like Lane Kiffin is starting off on the right foot at ol Rocky Top!

best thing about the sec is all the smack talk between the coaches.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit - 5 now
edit 2 - 6 now

not even sundown of ut's first junior day and we have 4 verbals, including two head to head wins over aggy and one over ou.

taylor bible - dt - 6'3" 280 - #12 player in tx overall, #1 dt

trey hopkins - ol - 6'4" 260 - #17 player in tx overall, #3 ol

darius terrell - wr - 6'3" 208 - #21 player in tx overall, #4 wr

deaires cotton - dt - 6'4" - #26 player in tx overall, #2 dt

case mccoy -qb - 6'2" 170 - #43 in tx overall, #5 qb

john harris - wr - 6'2" 187 - #58 player in tx overall, #9 wr

mccoy is colt's little brother and sherman's been recruiting him ever since he got to cs. serves those f*ers right for all the "cart mccoy" and "colt mccry" cracks the last couple of years. karma like a mother. hopkins was also a big target for aggy.

harris was offered by stoops last week and he told visor boy he'd have to think about all his options. the instant mack offered, he accepted.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fk texas.

We already have our #1 QB committed next year. Guess we'll just have to settle for Connor Wood as #2 now Wink

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing we'll see about that! Wink i'm of the mind that we don't take a top level qb this year because of gilbert and his plan to rs, but i'm in the minority amongst ut recruiting followers - they think wood is on the way to austin

you really think showers stays at qb? i thought sherman was going to go more west coast, less option(ish)?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, it sounds like that's the plan. I think Sherman wants to have a mobile QB - not an option QB. I don't see how you can pull Connor after Gilbert and now Case. He would have to be an idiot to sign up for that. I doubt he ends up at A&M and I'm still not sure why he doesn't have an offer from us.

I will say after a 4-8 season, we had a pretty solid recruiting class. Major upgrade on defense, which isn't saying a whole lot. Now it's time to see some player development - something that's been missing for the last 5 years. Next 2 seasons will be a major grading period for Sherm.

Last edited by Wakebrad on Feb 09, 2009 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
case mccoy -qb - 6'2" 170 - #43 in tx overall, #5 qb

Exclamation And I'm sure that's being generous. You can have 'im.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 1 of 61

Add To Favorites

Jump to: