Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2009 College Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above being a big part of why BSU can't get big ooc games.
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM wrote:
I hear they are changing the VT BSU game this year from October to Labor Day weekend, making it the first game of the season. I do NOT like that move at all for us. We have been scheduling hard openers for the last couple years and it has not worked out well for us. Bad way to start the season. I think we can play with BSU and have a great shot at beating them in October but not so convinced about Labor Day weekend (see alabama game this year). Im hoping that the move gets vetoed and stays in Oct. The move is just a hype/publicity thing.

I haven't heard that this was official yet. ESPN wanted to do it, but BSU wouldn't agree to it unless they moved the following weeks Toledo game (as it would make a short prep week for them). Most of the BSU fans I know don't want this change to happen either as it would be harder to travel with all of the other non-football labor day travelers. A lot of BSU fans want to go see DC w/o dealing w/ all of the other labor day tourists.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
IMPO, one maybe two good ooc games is good enough.

Why in the world would you want to put your team through a meat grinder when you play in a BCS conference?

Because it's fun to see your team play against good teams.
When we hosted Miami a few years ago, that was the most excited I had ever seen our fans for a home game besides when we played Nebraska in 2000 and maybe Texas Tech in 2008 (when they were undefeated).
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news Ducks pulled Seastrunk!!!

WOOT Very Happy

churchy

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Eastern Washington is going to make a red field... and you thought the smurf turf was hard on the eyes.
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy, yeah it sounds like a lose/lose. I mentioned our reasons already, and for you guys, travel and a short prep week is tough, and more importantly a win for BSU would mean much more in october than labor day (the "oregon effect" this year)

I hope it doesnt happen, but the source I heard this from seemed to think it is more likely to happen than not.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
In other news Ducks pulled Seastrunk!!!

WOOT Very Happy

he's got some growing up to do, but if he can get his head on straight, he's freaking perfect for that offense, regardless of how he got to oregon. kid's frekin legit. because of how his coach used him in hs, his potential hasn't even been scratched yet.
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

he's got some growing up to do, but if he can get his head on straight, he's freaking perfect for that offense, regardless of how he got to oregon. kid's frekin legit. because of how his coach used him in hs, his potential hasn't even been scratched yet.

Kelly doesn't f around.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seastrunk has loads of talent but could be a cancer. Apparently he doesn't work very hard either.

I'm not sure if I'm confusing him with someone else but isn't he a grade risk also?

churchy

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM wrote:
I hope it doesnt happen, but the source I heard this from seemed to think it is more likely to happen than not.

More than likely, it will happen. ESPN is the one pushing for it. If they want it bad enough, they can make it happen.
churchy

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Quote:

Kelly doesn't f around.

hahahaha.... Blount
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, kelly's track record so far doesn't exactly scream disciplinarian.

Wakebrad, cancer? wtf? he's young and immature, but he's a good kid. by all accounts his biggest negative is that he's overly silly and doesn't take things very seriously. i don't know that he's a grade risk (doesn't mean he isn't - w/ all the other stuff going on w/ him, i've just never seen that brought up).
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:

What do you mean by this?

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, yeah, I just meant with his work ethic. That can be bad if the most talented player on your team doesn't want to work.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rolled my eyes when Kelly left the door open for Blount coming back, but after seeing it play out I really like how he handled it.

Who knows how far his life would have spiraled had he been completely dismissed from the team. He probably wouldn't have even remained at the school. By allowing him to continue practicing and giving him an incentive to work hard and go to class, Blount grew up and seemed to get his siht together. Aren't college coaches supposed to be molders of young men?

Granted, I'd be more than curious to see how Kelly would handle the same situation with a 3rd string WR.

eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is this soley based on Blount? or are you already convicting Masoli?

or something else?

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAGON88 wrote:
jt09 wrote:

really?

to start w/: blount being let back on the team after being sat down for the year. VERY hardline.

and the last week's incident w/ masoli and embry? i realize that there are a bunch of allegations that may/may not be true, but having your star qb and wr named in a theft report isn't exactly running a tight ship.

or having both your kickers get in a fight - one so bad it put one of them in the hospital.

i can't believe you would even attempt to ask that question right now.
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
DRAGON88 wrote:
jt09 wrote:

really?

to start w/: blount being let back on the team after being sat down for the year. VERY hardline.

and the last week's incident w/ masoli and embry? i realize that there are a bunch of allegations that may/may not be true, but having your star qb and wr named in a theft report isn't exactly running a tight ship.

or having both your kickers get in a fight - one so bad it put one of them in the hospital.

i can't believe you would even attempt to ask that question right now.

A: Blount was suspended indefinitely. For those of you keeping track at home indefinite means: "Lasting for an unknown or unstated period of time." I for one think that he handled the situation pretty well, he took a much harder line than I think most coaches in CFB would be willing to take with their star RB.

B: Seriously, Chip Kelly was suppose to somehow keep some fratboys from publicly making accusations that may be true? Might I ask what exactly he could do to prevent this? Furthermore what does this have to do with disciplining? Yet somehow this is part of his track record? Please.

churchy

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.) Don't forget that Blount was previously kicked off the team. Kelly let him back on, only to be "suspended indefinately".
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAGON88, the question isn't whether kelly is or is not a disciplinarian. the question is whether he has a reputation as such as was claimed here by even73.

after the last year, and last week, in particular, saying something like "kelly doesn't f around" is pretty ridiculous.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the record - i don't have any problems w/ how kelly has handled anything, including the blount situation.

just think even73's comment was pretty off base. kelly's not exactly joe paterno reincarnate.
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

DRAGON88, the question isn't whether kelly is or is not a disciplinarian. the question is whether he has a reputation as such as was claimed here by even73.

I dont care what his "reputation" is, he handles problems well.

kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
DRAGON88

after the last year, and last week, in particular, saying something like "kelly doesn't f around" is pretty ridiculous.

We agree on something.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly has handled ONE problem. That's it. Hardly a big enough sample size to determine anything. I do like how he handled it, though. We'll see what he does with Masoli since Masoli has already spent time in juvi for similar charges.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like texas has landed both hicks and jeffcoat. both will announce today.

for those of you who aren't familiar w/ how texas recruits, and the successes and failures of mack brown, you have no idea how HUGE this is.

texas has a long history of great talent locked up early and tons of talent on campus overall. but there's also a history of not getting:

1) the best player in texas
2) true impact players from out of state
3) true impact players late

either one of these guys would be a huge feather in mack's cap. especially to those of us fans who identified these trends year ago and have suffered through season after season of watching our best hs players go elsewhere* and never, ever, getting that last minute win.

*i realize the ratings are subjective and that "losing" the "#1 player" in the state doesn't have some true significance. but dammit, texas needs to pull that kid in every couple of years!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, aggy may be losing their best defensive commit to oklahoma. rumors are rampant that corey nelson is ready to bail on aggy after flirting w/ every other top d1 program since his verbal.

kid's a baller. hate to see him go to ou.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrats on those kids. Wish jeffcoat would have given us a look.

Nelson reconfirmed today. He never waivered, just decided to take a ride.

Fobbs is in CS. Good sign on the last week. We weathered the LSU storm last weekend just a few more days.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelson has been wavering from day one. every time you turn around he's been looking somewhere else - texas, ou, usc.... he'd be a horn if things had gone differently w/ our early recruits at lb. i hope he ends up in cs because i sure as hell don't want him in norman.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not according to liucci. He decided to take the process for a ride and took official visits wherever he could. He was in contact with the A&M coaches the who time and let them know his plans. Either way I'll just be happy when he signs. He obviously had offers from all of those schools.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't doubt that at all - kid's a serious athlete. be interesting to see how he plays in college because he's not a big guy at all. not thin, but he's not going to be one of those 6' 240lb thick type lb - he's going to be a fast, 6' 220-225 athletic lb. that new dc has a real weapon if he can utilize him effectively.

you guys have an excellent ol and dl class coming in. your de class isn't rated high, but is long and athletic w/ room to grow. two 4* at dt is nice. four 4* at ol is especially nice. i really like joekel, and the mathews kid will be a stud i'm sure - has anyone from that family ever not been damn good?

what does your lb depth look like? only 2 lbs in this class, and smaller guys at that...

3 rbs (all 4* - lot to work with) and 3 qb is really loading those spots up. i think w/ your depth there already, i might have looked for some lbs to give one or two of those ships to.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LB depth is not good. I wish we would have done better at that, especially because we'll be moving to the 3-4 this year under DeRuyter. It's why Nelson is so critical. I would have to think some of those DEs rotate to LB. Von will for sure.

I'm not sure why we got 3 RBs. Seems unnecessary with our depth. Wonder if any will get moved. We need the QBs on campus. Dorman has already shifted to TE so we are paper thin. But all 3 QBs are mid-termers so I'm hoping they can get on board quickly. Honeycutt is the most likely to make a position change.

Sounds like Greg Daniels is giving us a look after you guys picked up Jeffcoat. Could be smart. No way he sees the field with the DEs in that class.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised at the recruits we're getting after 4-8, 6-7 seasons. Shows me if these kids have faith I should too. We have not won this many battles with OU since I have been keeping track. Seems like they have lost some luster.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that about daniels. hopefully he sticks w/ the good guys! i don't know about not seeing the field - in a perfect world muschamp is rotating players like a madman and he likes to move des inside every now and then. not like daniels will see the field as a freshman, that's for sure.

as far as ou losing luster - they are still going to finish w/ a top 5 class. i just think it shows sherm has a plan, he's sticking w/ it and he's articulating it to the recruits.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just checked their class. Pretty salty. Looks like they either chose to or had to go out of TX. Either way they are getting it done. That's fine with me. Steal some kids from SEC territory.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitt moving to the Big 10?
yes: http://benmaller.com/archives/2010/02/01/source-pitt-headed-to-big-10/
no: http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/source-pittsburgh-to-big-ten-rumor-complete-fabrication/

Sounds like just internet rumors, but if this does happen to be true does anyone oppose Big East giving their BCS AQ status to the Mtn West?

Last edited by scott a on Feb 01, 2010 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
churchy

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish BSU could get picked up by another conference... however, with men's basketball being the next important thing behind football, it's not looking good. BSU hoops is terrible this year and have only been bring in about 2500 a game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 59 of 61

Add To Favorites

Jump to: