Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

San Diego

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eich82
Addict
Addict

City: MTP

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: San Diego Reply with quote

whats up? i was just wondering if anybody lived in the san diego area. i'm thinking about moving out there after graduation and i was wondering if anyone could tell me some things about it (wakeboarding spots, weather, nightlife, living costs, etc.) any help is appreciated thanks
Dragonlady8

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Wakeworld.com ( sorry Pat)
There's a large contigency from San Diego on that site.
Cost of living is high. Night life is good downtown and along the beaches.
Best weather anywhere to be found next to Hawaii. If you don't live in California now, you're going to be in for a huge shock. All taxes are going up....DMV registration is suppose to triple sometime this year.
marcg
Addict
Addict

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This area looks appealing, if you don't mind the colder water the surf is usually pretty good...the San Bernadino mountains are like 2 1/2 hours away so you can snowboard also.
Its expensive but I think you get paid more living here.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the registration fees are gonna triple? is that for real phantom, i've never that. That SUCKS big time

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
eich82
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool....what about like places to ride....i don't like the salt water...i'm from michigan so are there any fresh water places to ride there or not really?...i figured the cost of living would be high but that shouldn't be that big of a deal i should be pretty well off with my job (graduating with honors from Michigan State in Business Admin & Finance) anyone with some more info drop a line
Dragonlady8

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the latest I read inregards to the DMV. 1 cent tax increase and each municipality is now going to be responsible for making adjustments to the budget changes.
Very few fresh water lakes to ride on in SoCal. It's more saltwater in San Diego.
You may think that you may handle living here May I suggest you go to a site that will give you a cost of living comparison.
eich82
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a good idea on the comparison thing....ran it through and theres about a 14k difference...thanks for your help man
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme tell you this, if you're relocating from Michigan prepare to be extremely sticker shocked by the cost of living. I have a small 1 bedroom apartment 2 blocks from the beach & it costs me $875 a month. That's cheap too, 'cuz to live that close to the beach typically costs $1000+ a month for a 1 bed/1 bath apartment.

I don't know of any freshwater spots around here. Popular jetski & wakeboard spots are around Mission Bay I think, but I'm a surfer so I'm more tuned into the beaches & waves than the wakeboard spots.

Weather is nice, but unpredictable around the winter. Today it's 70+, but tomorrow it may not climb above 58. Santa Ana's throw a wildcard in there too. For most of the year, though, sunny & beautiful.

Nightlife kicks, TONS of fun things to do & see, but it gets hectic during any major holidays or vacations 'cuz SD's such a popular tourist spot. It can get irritating, but you just gotta learn to live with it. Along with that comes TRAFFIC. I dunno what it's like in Michigan, but certain stretches of freeway will be congested at 10 pm on a Saturday, ridiculous.

All in all, it's a beautiful town & I don't think I know anybody that's been disappointed with the life down here (other than the cost of living). Then again, I've lived in California my whole life so for me to move from Nor Cal to So Cal wasn't as much of a shock as it probably will be for you. Good luck.
eich82
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man....i pay around 450 a month in rent right now and i live with two other guys...i was expecting cost of living to be a lot higher but i'm also going to make a lot more money doing the same thing out there...it should all balance out in the end...just have to get away from the cold Very Happy
marcg
Addict
Addict

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it man!!!...I might be there soon also.
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a San Diego native and I haven't found any place else that I'd rather live. The cost of living is high, but not as bad as some places - San Francisco/Silicon Valley and New York for example. There is fresh water riding (I don't put my boat in saltwater) at San Vicente lake (about 25 minutes east of downtown) and some other lakes about 2 hrs away. Some of the best riding is on the Colorado River, which is 3 hrs east. The wakeboarding scene is really taking off in SoCal and we're just forming a new wakeboarding club.

Just watch the Super Bowl and you'll get an idea of how nice it can be here in the winter since the forecast is calling for clear blue skies and 80 degrees on Sunday.

email me if you have any questions....

here's a pic that blabelmooch (Brian) posted on wakepics taken this morning at San Vicente:

and here's a pic taken out at the Colorado River in August:

Surfing, mtn biking, off-roading, snowboarding, Mexico - San Diego has a lot of offer within a few hours drive.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego is RAD... <~ bringin the word back. Fun town but the housing is outrageous. $875 is a great deal. Most people I know are sharing rooms for $550-$625. Of course that's in the beach and college areas. I'm sure it's pretty standard though. Night life is awesome. The girls are smoking hot. I'm thinking about making the move to San Diego, Newport Beach, or back north.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: