Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Volcom and Target

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dognuts

City: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Volcom and Target Reply with quote

Has anyone else heard of volcom being bought by target, and does this mean that it will be selling volcom at target.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, being that Target isn't in the clothes manufacturing business I highly doubt that they bought Volcom.
dognuts

City: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, being that Target does have brands of clothing in their stores, like Mossimo, it is possible, and especially because I just confirmed it with a Volcom rep. It is official, volcom sold to target, but it is still unknown if they will start carrying the brand in there stores.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether they carry clothes or not has nothing to do with it, unless they manufacture their own brand (which I've never heard of) they wouldn't acquire a clothing company. That's like suggesting that K-Mart bought Adidas out 'cuz they carry shoes there.

I dunno who this "rep" friend of yours is, but I just checked the Volcom website & there's not even a scrap of information that might point to a merger by anybody, let alone Target.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nike bought Hurley. Time Warner bought AOL. Why can't Target buy Volcom? Travelers Insurance owns Salomon Smith Barney, a brokerage house, and Citicorp a credit card and banking corporation. Just because a company specializes in one thing does not mean they are subject to staying within that field when diversifying their company's holdings.

I don't know if this merger actually took place but to say it couldn't happen would be wrong...
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the examples you gave are companies staying within their field. Nike distributes shoes primarily, but they do have a clothes manufacturing contingent & they've been trying to break into skateboarding/surfing for quite some time unsuccessfully. Time Warner & AOL are both media companies that offer similar services. Same with Citicorp credit & banking, that all involves taking care of peoples' money.

Selling clothes & making clothes are related too, as you can see with stores like J. Crew or Eddie Bauer or whatnot. What I'm saying is that Target doesn't make clothes (that I know of) so how would they get their foot in the door, especially with a mega-company like Volcom? And I already mentioned that the Volcom site offers absolutely NO corroborating evidence of such a merger.
j-mo-pel is key
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: minnesota

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that spanks
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance has nothing to do with Brokerage houses or Credit/banking. Travelers owns both Salomon Smith Barney and Citicorp. My point was Nike makes athletic equipment and Hurley is a surf brand. Businesses like to diversify.

Again I never said that Volcom was bought by Target. Just merely stated that your reason for discounting the merger was incorrect. In comparison to Target Volcom is a small company. Target owns Mervyn's and some other similar company. Volcom might be big in your eyes, but merely has a big share in the surf type clothing market. From the point of clothing manufacturing Volcom is a small company.
nick e[V]ans
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: brissie, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok jester i hate to say it, but i'm pretty sure what your saying makes no sense. target doesn't make clothes, they just own a company that does, so what. does it really matter who makes the clothes?? not really, plus, i dont think volcom will be changing their name to target. so whats the difference. the clothes will still be made and distributed by volcom, target just manages and owns volcom.

look at virgin (as in the airlines, mobiles, cola, etc.) they are in no way related but the one company still does it all.
thats 0.02 for me

Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the Mongoose company selling it's bikes in walmart. It happened a few years back.
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminal
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You called? Very Happy j/k bro.
nick e[V]ans
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: brissie, Australia

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that was good cm
Brian R
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: da noke

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn anyone can buy out any other store..they dont have to make the damn clothes themselves. but they can buy it if they want to or offer enough money.. the only thing that is giong to change is the owner of volcom..i dought they are going to change the production of the goods or any of the employee's it only has to do with money..not weather or not target makes clothes
Osiris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked Quiksilver was "the man behind the curtain" at Volcom, they are affilated somehow arn't they?
410media
Criminal
Criminal

City: wilmington

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zara thats the most far fetched idea ever. volcom would sell out to target before they had a thing to do with quik or anything affiliated with them... volcom is the polar opposite of quiksilver.
dont argue it either, ive worked for both companies.

derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

City: san antonio/ college station

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the owners of volcom would sell to the highest bidder. if they're worried with who owned the company they'd just keep it themselves.
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

410media, sorry I got my story mixed up a little. It turns out that a former Quik exec is now as higher up at Volcom. That's the connection between the two. I got this info from a former Volcom rep so I'm trusting it as legit.
As for what you are saying about Volcom and Quik being "polar opposites", I hate to be the one to break it to you but they are both clothing companies trying to make money. They choose to market themselves totally differently but at the end of the day if they wern't making any money they'd merge with anyone if they thought it would be profitable. They are just two sides of the same coin.
If you have yet to figure out that behind their respective corporate images they are ultimatley just trying to run profitable businesses, than I suggest you go back and work for them a little longer.
I've been working in the skate industry for nearly 10 years and I learned that much a long time ago.
anti-shoobies
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ghettoburg

PostPosted: May 20, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bull shitt, Target and Volcom have no relationship what so ever besides being next to each other on Shaun White's helmet (can you say sellout).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: