Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

needs advise on what board and dvd to to buy to progress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellemorena

City: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: needs advise on what board and dvd to to buy to progress Reply with quote

hey girls,

big holler from malaysia, truly asia! i'm a new convert to this wonderful world of wakeboarding. i have been wakeboarding on/off for the last couple of months but the progress is quiet slow, largely because i use different board on every ride (rentals). so the question is...

1) What's the most suitable board for beginners like me? I'm 5'6"/ 125lbs.

I don't really know what type/style I am since I can only manage to cross wake to wake, and on odd occassions gets a good pop and land it...basically all the usual surface tricks...yesterday did a good attempt at backslide 180..not bad. i'm sick of being the chick that can't do any aerial tricks so i'm hoping a new board will help me progress faster...

few friends recommended HL Blur, Syn and LF Jett...are they suitable to beginners?

2) is Waketrix a good instructional video to learn from? Any recommendation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. And oh..thank's for posting your photos on this forum..truly inspiring Smile

cheers,
ellemorena
the_dude
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Long Beach

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ellemorena,

My little sister and g/f share the same board that we got new a few months back. My sister learned to wakeboard this summer on a super old O'Brien and had only gone that one trip when we decided to pick up the new board. My G/F has been able to ride a long time but hasn't progressed far. Has great board control and can jump HS ok.

First thing we did was go to a pro shop so they could try on a bunch of bindings. They ended up loving the wings bindings (VERY comfy according to them) which comes with the Jett board if you get a combo.

The Jett is the same as the witness but with graphics for girls and my research showed it to be a great board for advanced riders. I was concerned that since my sister had only wakeboarded on one trip before and my g/f wasn't very advanced that this board would not be a good "beginner" board.

I bit the bullet anyways and picked it up for them and they love it! Both of their riding has improved dramatically. My sister had very poor board control at the end of her first trip, basically had just mastered getting up. Her first time up on the Jett she was crossing wakes with ease and by the end of that day even managed a few tiny jumps. The G/F has gained a lot more confidence on this board and is able to get at least twice the height she used to on her HS jump.

Based on that experience with the Jett and getting lots of friends up on a PS3 this year I will never again look for a "beginner" board.
ellemorena

City: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dude, thank you and i appreciate your reply. very insightful. i will have a look around beyond a beginners board see what fits. thanks! Smile Wink
actionmama
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Mountain Home

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get THE CHICK FLICK for motivation and THE BOOK-WAKEBOARDING for how to.
ska8er

City: Steamboat Springs / Hayden

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are past getting up and cutting across the wake and really looking too start progressing its definetly worth taking the time too find your own board. At this point something better than your base model boards. Hyperlite in my opinion make great decks, definetly look for something with the 3stage rocker and light weight, and I can't stress enough that boots are most important. make sure they fit tight and comfortable. Its pretty easy too find some good board packages on the internet just look at your gear in person first. As far as doing bigger and better tricks, its really important too cut out away from the boat as far as you can, I mean try to pull the boat over and keep the handle close too your hips, same for cutting back into the wake. take a moment too release the tention and lean right back into your edge and let the boat pull you back in consistently and strong, then as you peak at the wake pop or jump and be ready too land on that same edge on the other side with your weight favoring your back foot so your nose doesnt go under. other than that practice switch riding start slow with basic grabs, tweaked out airs, and 180s. good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: