Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Advice- Picking it Up again...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Advice- Picking it Up again... Reply with quote

So I haven't skated reguarly since I was 13. I just need some help trying to pick out a new setup and maybe some ideas of how to get back into it. As I remember I used to be ok and could work a little mini halfpipe. I'm just looking to street skate and maybe hit the park eventualy. Just want to know if there are any equipment recomendations, sizes, ect. Thanks in advance...
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm... I ride an expedition deck with grind king trucks, SKF bearings and Coretech wheels. My favourite deck was a danny wainwright Powel deck, with Powel 'hush Puppies' urathane wheels.

But then again.... it all comes down to what you like....

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it all kinda depends. When you last skated were you riding the asymmetrical 10" wide boards or were they just starting to develop the double kick? You may wanna try to find a similar shape if that's what you're familiar with.

As for dimensions, if you skate pipe then you probably wanna consider the 7.75" to 8" width range. When you get your skate legs back if you find out you're having a hard time flipping the board then consider going thinner. But I ride a 7.75 & don't have problems flipping it.

Equipment wise, I won't recommend a specific brand, but if your local skateshop has blank deck complete setups then you might wanna consider those. Generally they run about $80-90. If that's too much, maybe ask your friends if they have a beat rig they can let you borrow or ask if they can go to a used sporting goods store with you to try & pick up some decent equipment for cheap.
Blabelmooch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are used to the old school shapes I wouldn't go with anything less than 8" wide. Black Label, Zero, Scum, and Death Box (Just to name a few) make wider boards. Start with softer wheels (97 or 9Cool Now that all of the parks have been popping up it's a great time to get back into it.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. When I stopped skating we were just getting into symetrical boards. Not quit sure why I stopped but there's a park just down the street and it tempted me to get back into things.
Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat as you, I hadn't skated in 10 years and deciced to pick it up again at 26. I rolled into the skate shop and got the widest board they had, Black Label something. I also dropped some coin on knee pads, a helmet and wrist guards, I don't heal like I used to and I don't like getting hurt anymore.

It actually came back to me very quick. We have a sick skate park here with a big ass bowl, I was into vert back in the day. By the end of my first day in 10 years I was dropping in on the 9ft section and doing 50-50 grinds, It's like riding a bike you don't forget how to do it.

Good luck.
wake242

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also pick up some ollieblocks. It is a great way to practise and learn new tricks.
boardfreak
Criminal
Criminal

City: Lansing

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started skating again at 28!! When I quit they had asymetrical boards so I went to my local board shop and picked up the widest board out there. Like Jay said, its like riding a bike, you never forget. Now my house in only like 3 blocks away from the local skate park and I ride it at least once a week. Its just as much fun as it used to be..

www.soulriders.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dyost
Criminal
Criminal

City: Peoria

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just got back into it as well. Picked up a board as a way to get around (I have no car in OZ) and now I skate at least twice a week. I hadn't skated since I was 12, that was 9 years ago but I relearned shuvits in a week. Now I'm workin on grinds and boardslides but the falls from that are brutal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: